AMD at highest CPU market share ever

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Just saw this: S&P 500 July Winners/Losers.

AMD unfortunately has made the list, mostly because of the merger with ATI.

"Eight of the ten worst performing S&P stocks in July are in the computer or technology business. Advanced Micro Devices (nyse: AMD - news - people ), which has taken a 22% hit month-to-date, disappointed the market with second-quarter results. On July 20, the microprocessor manufacturer reported earnings per share of 18 cents, 17% below the average estimate of 22 cents from analysts tracked by Thomson IBES. The next day, Wall Street punished AMD with a 16% price decline.

The market also booed AMD’s merger agreement with ATI Technologies (nasdaq: ATYT - news - people ), a Canadian maker of 3D graphic processors for personal computers and consumer electronic devices. AMD stock dropped 5% after the July 24 announcement. "

Not sure how this will affect it's overall market gain in server/desktop realm, but it doesn't look very good, especially if other analyst jump on this bandwagon, which some are prone to do.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/2006/07/28/amd-intel-ati-cz_sw_0731sf.html?partner=yahootix

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Just saw this: S&P 500 July Winners/Losers.

AMD unfortunately has made the list, mostly because of the merger with ATI.

"Eight of the ten worst performing S&P stocks in July are in the computer or technology business. Advanced Micro Devices (nyse: AMD - news - people ), which has taken a 22% hit month-to-date, disappointed the market with second-quarter results. On July 20, the microprocessor manufacturer reported earnings per share of 18 cents, 17% below the average estimate of 22 cents from analysts tracked by Thomson IBES. The next day, Wall Street punished AMD with a 16% price decline.

The market also booed AMD’s merger agreement with ATI Technologies (nasdaq: ATYT - news - people ), a Canadian maker of 3D graphic processors for personal computers and consumer electronic devices. AMD stock dropped 5% after the July 24 announcement. "

Not sure how this will affect it's overall market gain in server/desktop realm, but it doesn't look very good, especially if other analyst jump on this bandwagon, which some are prone to do.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/2006/07/28/amd-intel-ati-cz_sw_0731sf.html?partner=yahootix

Thsi stuff may temporarily affect market cap, but analysts don't buy millions of PCs. It seems like OEMs are content so they'll be ok. We may even 24% desktop by the end of the year. AMD has some excellent designs coming out for back to school including the X2 3600+ and Turion X2. These will be the main markets for growth until HeatBurst is gone.

An X2 for $125 will look very attractive to system builders, especially if they can mobos for $60 - which they can. Core 2 is more expensive for just the mobo and PD is out of the running.

mpjesse

Splendid
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060728114723.html

22% last quarter, their highest ever. But analysts are already predicting that Intel will take some of that market share back by the end of this year.

I'm inclined to agree.

Just a pause and a compliment Jesse --- you do a nice job when posting information, news with objective takes on the ordeal -- and being fair/balanced when you make your posts. It is good to have you in the forums.

*blushes*

awww! give me a big hug jack! ;-)

(thanks for the nice comment)

I wouldn't be too thrilled about AMD being in debt ($2.8 billion?) after acquiring ATI.

I could be a bit pessimistic, but I fear there will be decline in innovation as a result of the merger. Both CPU and GPU takes lots of money for R&D and new generation GPUs comes out faster than new CPUs. That represents a huge drain on monetary resources which could mean that one or both primary products will be tindered by a potential lack of funding.

I would prefer AMD to spinoff ATI as a separate company in a couple of years. In return, AMD will become much more nimbler and best of all, they could retain the chipset division side of ATI. AMD is been too big of a CPU player not to develop their own chipsets.