Canon rebates: Warning. Not recieving mine

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 3, 2005 4:10:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general,houston.general,seattle.general (More info?)

I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.

It's supposed to be 8 weeks.

It's now 10weeks and counting.

www.canon.rebatestatus.com

No reply to my email from last week.

That admit they have and it's being "processed".

Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Yeh, I think there ought to be a law that all rebates should be instant
at the check stand rebates.

At the same time they need to regulate the 3rdparty ink industry. At
least they should have a full disclosure law.

Mapanari wrote:

>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>
>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>
>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>
>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>
>No reply to my email from last week.
>
>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>
>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:25:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

In article <Xns9669C316540F9mapi@216.168.3.64>,
Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote:

> I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>
> It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>
> It's now 10weeks and counting.
>
> www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>
> No reply to my email from last week.
>
> That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>
> Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
> sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.

Sorry to hear a 2 week delay gets you bent out of shape.
June 3, 2005 4:26:00 AM

Jack Zwick wrote:
> In article <Xns9669C316540F9mapi@216.168.3.64>,
> Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>>
>>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>>
>>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>>
>>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>>
>>No reply to my email from last week.
>>
>>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>>
>>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
>

> Sorry to hear a 2 week delay gets you bent out of shape.

It's not the delay, it's his typical liberal "I want mine now!" attitude!
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 7:26:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

In article <znNne.1687$wy1.1341@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
measekite@yahoo.com says...
> Yeh, I think there ought to be a law that all rebates should be instant
> at the check stand rebates.

If you want to ban rebates, just say so, no need to obfuscate it behind
a silly law like that.

> At the same time they need to regulate the 3rdparty ink industry. At
> least they should have a full disclosure law.

The ink industry? Yeah, we need more government authority over critical
aspects of life like the ink industry.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"I don't really care about being right you know,

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrotenews:jackzwick-D78ED6.19255502062005
@newssvr11-ext.news.prodigy.com:

> In article <Xns9669C316540F9mapi@216.168.3.64>,
> Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>>
>> It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>>
>> It's now 10weeks and counting.
>>
>> www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>>
>> No reply to my email from last week.
>>
>> That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>>
>> Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>> sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
>
> Sorry to hear a 2 week delay gets you bent out of shape.

If someone came up behind you, bent you over a log and made you squeal like
a pig, as long as they had a white coat on, a uniform or sounded
authoritative you'd ask for more.

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Karl Magnus <magnus@nightmusic.gov> wrotenews:AsOne.39974$8S5.24971
@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

> Jack Zwick wrote:
>> In article <Xns9669C316540F9mapi@216.168.3.64>,
>> Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>>>
>>>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>>>
>>>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>>>
>>>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>>>
>>>No reply to my email from last week.
>>>
>>>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>>>
>>>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>>>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
>>

>> Sorry to hear a 2 week delay gets you bent out of shape.
>
> It's not the delay, it's his typical liberal "I want mine now!" attitude!

Yah, next time your mental disability check is 4 weeks late, we'll see you
change your tune I"m sure.

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Mapanari wrote:
> Karl Magnus <magnus@nightmusic.gov> wrotenews:AsOne.39974$8S5.24971
> @bignews3.bellsouth.net:
>

>>Jack Zwick wrote:

>>>Sorry to hear a 2 week delay gets you bent out of shape.
>>
>>It's not the delay, it's his typical liberal "I want mine now!" attitude!
>>

> Yah, next time your mental disability check is 4 weeks late, we'll see you
> change your tune I"m sure.

Always knew you were a liberal at heart!
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 10:01:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:10:40 -0000, Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com>
wrote:

>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>
>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>
>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>
>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>
>No reply to my email from last week.
>
>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>
>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.

10 weeks and counting for mine too, and they are only sending me $20
instead of the $70 I am eligible for. They claim my receipt isn't
good enough despite it clearly showing the digital camera and printer
model numbers. (and I sent in both UPC codes from the boxes). They
are incredibly slow at responding to email, but eventually they did in
my case. Was yours for a digital camera + printer as well?
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 10:19:03 AM

zmike6 wrote:

>On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:10:40 -0000, Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com>
>wrote:
>

>>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>>
>>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>>
>>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>>
>>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>>
>>No reply to my email from last week.
>>
>>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>>
>>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
>>

>10 weeks and counting for mine too, and they are only sending me $20
>instead of the $70 I am eligible for. They claim my receipt isn't
>good enough despite it clearly showing the digital camera and printer
>model numbers. (and I sent in both UPC codes from the boxes). They
>are incredibly slow at responding to email, but eventually they did in
>my case. Was yours for a digital camera + printer as well?

File a complaint with the Atty General.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 3:54:26 PM

wrote:

>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>
>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>
>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>
>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>
>No reply to my email from last week.
>
>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>
>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.

Mine took about 10 weeks, too. It's status was "processing" when I
received it in the mail.

Sure do like my IP3000 & i960.

Mike Smith
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:03:26 PM

wrote:

>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>
>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>
>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>
>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>
>No reply to my email from last week.
>
>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>
>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.

On a side note, I bought Stratitec's inkjet refill for my Canons for
$19.95 and have refilled the cartridges 3 times. I still have tons of
ink left for refills and the Canon ink cartridges are EASY to refill.

Mike Smith
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 7:30:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

I'd like to suggest "Karl" that you take a bit of that money you've
saved by paying less taxes on schools, AIDS prevention, mental health,
and other "unnecessary" things and spend a bit of it on buying yourself
a dictionary. Heck, you can even do it on line for free!

Then go and look up the word "l i b e r a l" and show me where is has
anything to do with your premise below.

Art

Karl Magnus wrote:

> Jack Zwick wrote:
>
>> In article <Xns9669C316540F9mapi@216.168.3.64>,
>> Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>>>
>>> It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>>>
>>> It's now 10weeks and counting.
>>>
>>> www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>>>
>>> No reply to my email from last week.
>>>
>>> That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>>>
>>> Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against
>>> these sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
>>

>> Sorry to hear a 2 week delay gets you bent out of shape.
>

> It's not the delay, it's his typical liberal "I want mine now!" attitude!
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 7:50:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

In the US, rebates are now under the jurisdiction of the Post Office
fraud section, since both you and they use the mail as the conduit for
communications.

There have been so many complaints and so much fraud in this area, the
US Post Office now has a website area devoted to dealing with rebate
fraud and delays.

Delays are being prosecuted with heavy fines in cases of large enough
groups of cases.

Further, in most cases, one's state Attorney General's office will
intervene on your behalf is required to resolve a rebate issue.

Don't let the fulfillment company (the company usually hired to
distribute the rebates) get away with claiming you sent in wrong forms
or they did not receive your request in time.

Always keep accurate records of what you sent in when and how much is
due you when. Photocopy or at least scan the items you sent to them,
including the filled in form, and any receipts or UPC symbols, etc.

Don't be afraid to talk tough with the fulfillment company front-line
people or supervisors Tel them you will be sending in a complaint to
the US Postal Service and State Attorney General's Office. If they
still don't come through FILE an official complaint.

I have read the advertising these fulfillment companies send to the
companies that hire them. They often mention is somewhat vague terms
that they will help the manufacturer to pay out less rebate claims, but
reducing the number of eligible claimant.

I have participated in about 200 rebates over the last 5 years. They
have very rarely been early (one particular retailer was very good about
that until they were bought out). The vast majority are 2-4 weeks late,
(over the 6, 8 10, or 12 weeks they express in the "contract") some as
much as 8 months so, but I have never NOT received my rebate, however, I
have had to threaten legal action on several occasions. In some cases I
have gone to the retailer and make them fulfill the obligations of the
rebate. In Canada, they have some legal requirements at the retailer
level to make sure rebates are fulfilled.

Remind the fulfillment company that they have entered into a contract
with you, and make sure you can prove you fulfilled that contract on
your end (shipped on time, correct paperwork, etc). Tell them you will
begin charging them interest on the money after the due date.

And remember, don't just threaten, if you don't get satisfaction, fill
out the web form with the US Postal Services or the state attorney
general of your state or both.

Art

zmike6 wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:10:40 -0000, Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>>
>>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>>
>>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>>
>>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>>
>>No reply to my email from last week.
>>
>>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>>
>>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
>

> 10 weeks and counting for mine too, and they are only sending me $20
> instead of the $70 I am eligible for. They claim my receipt isn't
> good enough despite it clearly showing the digital camera and printer
> model numbers. (and I sent in both UPC codes from the boxes). They
> are incredibly slow at responding to email, but eventually they did in
> my case. Was yours for a digital camera + printer as well?

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 7:59:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

One more thought regarding rebates...

Some of the fulfillment companies will send you nearly stale dated
checks/cheques hoping by the time you get around to cashing or
depositing them, they will no longer be valid. Watch out for this.

Art

Mike Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:10:40 -0000, Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>>
>>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>>
>>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>>
>>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>>
>>No reply to my email from last week.
>>
>>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>>
>>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
>

> Mine took about 10 weeks, too. It's status was "processing" when I
> received it in the mail.
>
> Sure do like my IP3000 & i960.
>
> Mike Smith
June 3, 2005 8:50:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Great info, Art.

"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
> [...]
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>>>
>>>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>>>
>>>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>>>
>>>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>>>
>>>No reply to my email from last week.
>>>
>>>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>>>
>>>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>>>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
>>

>> 10 weeks and counting for mine too, and they are only sending me $20
>> instead of the $70 I am eligible for. They claim my receipt isn't
>> good enough despite it clearly showing the digital camera and printer
>> model numbers. (and I sent in both UPC codes from the boxes). They
>> are incredibly slow at responding to email, but eventually they did in
>> my case. Was yours for a digital camera + printer as well?

June 3, 2005 10:08:57 PM

"Mapanari" <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote in message

> I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.

Because you do something all the time, hardly removes the possiblility of a
mistake. That is why it is called a 'mistake'.

> It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>
> It's now 10weeks and counting.
>
> www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>
> No reply to my email from last week.
>
> That admit they have and it's being "processed".

They say they have it and itis being processed, what's the problem.
I could see cause for concern if it did not show it had been received OR if
it was declined???

> Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
> sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.

I won't argue this point with you, but not for the reason you suggest here.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 10:41:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
wrotenews:K0Sne.1490$IE7.1329@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

Frankly, I dislike these rebates as much as anyone
> and would rather get the discount at the register, but the purchaser has
> a choice - buy the item, follow their rules, and save the money, or
> don't buy it!

Disliking rebates is like disliking sales incentives or applying for
homestead exemptions. Those who are smart, thrify, educated, organized and
knowledgable get ahead in life and live much better than their slower
cousins.
Nothing is free, and you have to work for it. But it must be fair.

The point is, I like rebates and I don't expect something for nothing.
What you're complaining about is the fact there are no welfare rebates for
those who are too stupid, lazy and ignorant to fill them out properly and
send them in on time.

> There are a few rebates that I have followed the rules on and not
> gotten, but most have arrived in several weeks. While they should go
> out by return mail once the application is received, the reality is that
> they almost all stall in paying the rebates. Again, we know how the
> system works and have the choice to either buy or not buy the item.
> Life is not always fair.

I too have gotten almost all my rebates and only a few have played that
goddamn trick of "wait till they complain, apologize, blame in sunspots or
the computer, then immediately issue them a check."

This is why I posted this. Every once in a while, some company starts to
screw their customers and in some rare cases, there was no intention of
ever sending any rebates to begin with.

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

zmike6 <zmike6@*SPAMBLOCK*yahoo.com>
wrotenews:s8sv9159gmghoell0t9gu5lh6llep56puj@4ax.com:

> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:10:40 -0000, Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>>
>>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>>
>>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>>
>>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>>
>>No reply to my email from last week.
>>
>>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>>
>>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
>

> 10 weeks and counting for mine too, and they are only sending me $20
> instead of the $70 I am eligible for. They claim my receipt isn't
> good enough despite it clearly showing the digital camera and printer
> model numbers. (and I sent in both UPC codes from the boxes). They
> are incredibly slow at responding to email, but eventually they did in
> my case. Was yours for a digital camera + printer as well?

Sounds like a pattern here.

No, I just bought the printer and it's only $20, but it's what tipped me
over to making the decision to buy a new printer, and get it delivered for
free with no sales tax to my door in 4 days.

Sounds like Canon USA sent a secret memo to their people telling them that
the CEO needs some pure gold faucets on his wife's Lear jet instead of the
pewter ones and to screw up and deny, deny deny rebates.

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrotenews:Y__ne.1561744$8l.426111
@pd7tw1no:

> In the US, rebates are now under the jurisdiction of the Post Office
> fraud section, since both you and they use the mail as the conduit for
> communications.

That's interesting info. Tanks.

> Don't let the fulfillment company (the company usually hired to
> distribute the rebates) get away with claiming you sent in wrong forms
> or they did not receive your request in time.

Most fulfillment companies are in Arizona and other southern states with
lax rules, and even laxer and pro-illegal immigration base. These
companies hire illegal aliens to do almost all the work and the quality is
what you'd expect.

But that's the reason I posted this request for imformation. I want to see
if my problem is part of a pattern and systemic abuse or just a single
isolated case.

I blew the whistle about 5 years ago on a fly-by-night company that Best
Buy loved, who used to have huge rebates on all their computer items. Best
Buy loved them because of the sales increase, but I never heard of one
rebate ever being paid.
I contancted the AG of California and by the time they got back to me the
company had changed their name, and Best Buy was selling THOSE now, even
after I sent a registered letter to Best Buy Sales and Marketing warning
them.
By the time the AG got back to me, that company refered all inquireirs to
their lawyer in San Francisco, who never responded to my request for my
rebate and the company disappeared.

I figure they made off with millions, Best Buy knowingly and fraudulently
sold items they knew, as their managers in stores admitted, items that
would never be rebated. Best Buy must have made millions also.
And no one went to jail.
Or ever will, because as we all know, under republicans is a greedy free-
for-all by all the sleeze crooks in the world.

> Always keep accurate records of what you sent in when and how much is
> due you when. Photocopy or at least scan the items you sent to them,
> including the filled in form, and any receipts or UPC symbols, etc.

I have never had any of them ask me for that. I keep records, but all they
need to know is the date you sent it in, the amount etc. They're not going
to ask you to send it in again. Costs too much. If you bitch enough,
they'll just sent it to you and put a stop on their supposed previous
check.
That's what happened to me and my Magvision monitor $50 rebate.

> I have read the advertising these fulfillment companies send to the
> companies that hire them. They often mention is somewhat vague terms
> that they will help the manufacturer to pay out less rebate claims, but
> reducing the number of eligible claimant.

That could be construed as a criminal conspiracy to defraud.

> I have participated in about 200 rebates over the last 5 years. They
> have very rarely been early (one particular retailer was very good about
> that until they were bought out). The vast majority are 2-4 weeks late,
> (over the 6, 8 10, or 12 weeks they express in the "contract") some as
> much as 8 months so, but I have never NOT received my rebate, however, I
> have had to threaten legal action on several occasions. In some cases I
> have gone to the retailer and make them fulfill the obligations of the
> rebate. In Canada, they have some legal requirements at the retailer
> level to make sure rebates are fulfilled.

Same thing here.

The Best Buy thing had me on speaking terms with the manager, he'd see me,
groan, head over the cash register, tell the cashier "Credit this man for
his missing rebate, hit key "7 and then key 8" and walla! :)

> Remind the fulfillment company that they have entered into a contract
> with you, and make sure you can prove you fulfilled that contract on
> your end (shipped on time, correct paperwork, etc). Tell them you will
> begin charging them interest on the money after the due date.

Empty threats that will never be realized just weakens your position.

> And remember, don't just threaten, if you don't get satisfaction, fill
> out the web form with the US Postal Services or the state attorney
> general of your state or both.

That's about the only two things that might work.

I love it when people tell other people to complaign to the BBB!

That's like going to the Alaskan wolf den, hollaring down the hole "Say, I
have a complaint about chicken stealers and someone raped my golden
retriver!".

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Mike Smith <mws@wt.net> wrotenews:t3h0a1lmf4q669nu00oppe2a4vlr9nibgb@4ax.com:

> Mine took about 10 weeks, too. It's status was "processing" when I
> received it in the mail.
>
> Sure do like my IP3000 & i960.
>
> Mike Smith

Ain't that iP3000 the cat's meow?

prrrrrrrrrrr......

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Mike Smith <mws@wt.net> wrotenews:5ih0a11j871dlvbmjib11hjjd13kdgpfns@
4ax.com:

> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:10:40 -0000, Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>>
>>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>>
>>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>>
>>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>>
>>No reply to my email from last week.
>>
>>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>>
>>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
>

> On a side note, I bought Stratitec's inkjet refill for my Canons for
> $19.95 and have refilled the cartridges 3 times. I still have tons of
> ink left for refills and the Canon ink cartridges are EASY to refill.
>
> Mike Smith

I have 80ml @ of 4 ink colors sitting in little plastic bottles and my
giant horse hyperdermic all fired up and ready for a refilling party, and
yet, I keep printing and printing and I haven't run out yet, two months
later!

Not only does the Canon use less ink and use it better than HP, Lexmark and
Epson, but they're much easier to refill!
--
---Mapanari---
June 3, 2005 11:14:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

No, Mapanari, disliking rebates is NOT like disliking sales incentives,
etc - I DO like rebates for their savings but simply stated that I would
rather get the rebate immediately at the register.

I choose to disregard your assosiation with the words welfare, Stupid, and
Lazy as opposed to smart, thrifty, educated, organized and knowledgable. If
I didn't know better, I would guess that you are making a statment about
people who, often through no fault of their own, end up using one of our
nation's financial safety nets while trying to get on their feet. Everyone
isn't as fortunate as us, and I don't think they should be reviled.

> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
> wrotenews:K0Sne.1490$IE7.1329@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:
>
> Frankly, I dislike these rebates as much as anyone
>> and would rather get the discount at the register, but the purchaser has
>> a choice - buy the item, follow their rules, and save the money, or
>> don't buy it!
>
> Disliking rebates is like disliking sales incentives or applying for
> homestead exemptions. Those who are smart, thrify, educated, organized
> and
> knowledgable get ahead in life and live much better than their slower
> cousins.
> Nothing is free, and you have to work for it. But it must be fair.
>
> The point is, I like rebates and I don't expect something for nothing.
> What you're complaining about is the fact there are no welfare rebates for
> those who are too stupid, lazy and ignorant to fill them out properly and
> send them in on time.
>

>> There are a few rebates that I have followed the rules on and not
>> gotten, but most have arrived in several weeks. While they should go
>> out by return mail once the application is received, the reality is that
>> they almost all stall in paying the rebates. Again, we know how the
>> system works and have the choice to either buy or not buy the item.
>> Life is not always fair.
>>

> I too have gotten almost all my rebates and only a few have played that
> goddamn trick of "wait till they complain, apologize, blame in sunspots or
> the computer, then immediately issue them a check."
>
> This is why I posted this. Every once in a while, some company starts to
> screw their customers and in some rare cases, there was no intention of
> ever sending any rebates to begin with.
>
> --
> ---Mapanari---
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:54:46 AM

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:54:26 GMT, Mike Smith <mws@wt.net> wrote:

>Mine took about 10 weeks, too. It's status was "processing" when I
>received it in the mail.
>
>Sure do like my IP3000 & i960.

Sorry all you USA'ns seem to be having problems. Canon Europe (through
the company they employ for the job) took 3 weeks to send me my £100
rebate for my 300mm f4L. And my free 256Mb CF card should be here in
the next week or so...

;-)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

wrotenews:H_1oe.24243$J12.23661@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

> No, Mapanari, disliking rebates is NOT like disliking sales incentives,
> etc - I DO like rebates for their savings but simply stated that I would
> rather get the rebate immediately at the register.

Yu're missing the point. ( usual for usenet).

If you got the rebate immediately at the register, there would be no
rebates.

See, they're counting on you losing it, sending it in late, forgetting
about it, throwing away the box etc.

Getting rebates at the register would only appeal to the welfare liberal
democrat crowd, because they would feel like it's really easy and they're
getting something for nothing, negating E=MC2 completely.

If you were made happy by getting your rebate at the register, do you
realize that then the actual price would be increased to cover that, and
you in essence would be getting no rebate?

Just like Albertson's stores and others that advertize "TWO FOR ONE SALE!",
which only morons believe.
Because they just increase the price on one item to cover the other, then
you buy two, one more than you actually need, at full price!!

I'm sure the welfare crowd, along with liberals, democrats, the young, the
stupid and the foolish all realize this is a great deal, but the people who
actually pay more in taxes than they recieve know it's not, so they save
money, which then gets stolen from them by the slavering masses of local
ignorati and redistributed to the mooing morons of the country and the
world.
--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

wrotenews:i12oe.24244$J12.2538@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

> Adolf would be proud of you, Mapanari. On the other hand, I would guess
> that you are not a blond, aryan superman and would have been thrown into
> the ovens if you were so unfortunate to have been in Deutschland in the
> early '40's

I'm as proud of my Viking ancestry as probably you're as proud of your New
Guianian headhunter forefothers.

To you, "Tastes great! Less Filling" is not all about beer, is it?

--
---Mapanari---
June 4, 2005 1:26:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

So there you have it --- the man gets nasty when his views are criticized.

> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
> wrotenews:i12oe.24244$J12.2538@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:
>

>> Adolf would be proud of you, Mapanari. On the other hand, I would guess
>> that you are not a blond, aryan superman and would have been thrown into
>> the ovens if you were so unfortunate to have been in Deutschland in the
>> early '40's
>>

> I'm as proud of my Viking ancestry as probably you're as proud of your New
> Guianian headhunter forefothers.
>
> To you, "Tastes great! Less Filling" is not all about beer, is it?
>
> --
> ---Mapanari---
June 4, 2005 1:34:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Gee wiz Art, (off topic I know).
I have been following this post with great academic interest.
Where I live there is no such thing as a rebate (at least not of the type that
you are discussing) and I am beginning to believe that we are better off, looks
like a potential minefield. We just discount at the time of sale. It's hard to
see what advantage the rebate scheme would have over advertised discounting,
but I guess you have to experience rebating before you know what advantages it
has.
Tony

> [...]
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>>>
>>>It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>>>
>>>It's now 10weeks and counting.
>>>
>>>www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>>>
>>>No reply to my email from last week.
>>>
>>>That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>>>
>>>Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>>>sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
>>

>> 10 weeks and counting for mine too, and they are only sending me $20
>> instead of the $70 I am eligible for. They claim my receipt isn't
>> good enough despite it clearly showing the digital camera and printer
>> model numbers. (and I sent in both UPC codes from the boxes). They
>> are incredibly slow at responding to email, but eventually they did in
>> my case. Was yours for a digital camera + printer as well?

June 4, 2005 1:35:45 AM

Mapanari wrote:

>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
>wrotenews:H_1oe.24243$J12.23661@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:
>

>>No, Mapanari, disliking rebates is NOT like disliking sales incentives,
>>etc - I DO like rebates for their savings but simply stated that I would
>>rather get the rebate immediately at the register.
>>

>Yu're missing the point. ( usual for usenet).
>
>If you got the rebate immediately at the register, there would be no
>rebates.

Many stores call it a rebate and that is what it is. Instead of
continually varying the price they turn rebates on or off.

>See, they're counting on you losing it, sending it in late, forgetting
>about it, throwing away the box etc.
>
>Getting rebates at the register would only appeal to the welfare liberal
>democrat crowd, because they would feel like it's really easy and they're
>getting something for nothing, negating E=MC2 completely.
>
>If you were made happy by getting your rebate at the register, do you
>realize that then the actual price would be increased to cover that, and
>you in essence would be getting no rebate?
>
>Just like Albertson's stores and others that advertize "TWO FOR ONE SALE!",
>which only morons believe.
>Because they just increase the price on one item to cover the other, then
>you buy two, one more than you actually need, at full price!!
>
>I'm sure the welfare crowd, along with liberals, democrats, the young, the
>stupid and the foolish all realize this is a great deal, but the people who
>actually pay more in taxes than they recieve know it's not, so they save
>money, which then gets stolen from them by the slavering masses of local
>ignorati and redistributed to the mooing morons of the country and the
>world.

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:37:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

What is the matter Burtie Furtie, Another poster that will not bow down
to you.

Burt wrote:

>So there you have it --- the man gets nasty when his views are criticized.
>
>"Mapanari" <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
>>wrotenews:i12oe.24244$J12.2538@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:
>>

>>>Adolf would be proud of you, Mapanari. On the other hand, I would guess
>>>that you are not a blond, aryan superman and would have been thrown into
>>>the ovens if you were so unfortunate to have been in Deutschland in the
>>>early '40's
>>>

>>I'm as proud of my Viking ancestry as probably you're as proud of your New
>>Guianian headhunter forefothers.
>>
>>To you, "Tastes great! Less Filling" is not all about beer, is it?
>>
>>--
>>---Mapanari---

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:19:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrotenews:_V3oe.24266$J12.7194
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

> So there you have it --- the man gets nasty when his views are
criticized.

> "Mapanari" <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
>> wrotenews:i12oe.24244$J12.2538@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:
>>

>>> Adolf would be proud of you, Mapanari. On the other hand, I would
guess
>>> that you are not a blond, aryan superman and would have been thrown
into
>>> the ovens if you were so unfortunate to have been in Deutschland in the
>>> early '40's
>>>

>> I'm as proud of my Viking ancestry as probably you're as proud of your
New
>> Guianian headhunter forefothers.
>>
>> To you, "Tastes great! Less Filling" is not all about beer, is it?
>>
>> --
>> ---Mapanari---

Top posting reject from an experiment in applied genetics gone horribly
wrong when your rhesus mother's blastosphere was accidently mixed with a
human drooling mongolid....if you think that's nasty, you have no funny
bones in your humerous.

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Tony <> wrotenews:11a1j7a6t81ntdb@news.supernews.com:

> Gee wiz Art, (off topic I know).
> I have been following this post with great academic interest.
> Where I live there is no such thing as a rebate (at least not of the
> type that you are discussing) and I am beginning to believe that we are
> better off, looks like a potential minefield. We just discount at the
> time of sale. It's hard to see what advantage the rebate scheme would
> have over advertised discounting, but I guess you have to experience
> rebating before you know what advantages it has.
> Tony

Uh, Tony, the reason why goods are so much cheaper and better deals in the
USA, for many reasons including not having a VAT tax and such, is that we
have advertised discounts AND rebates.

The market in the USA is about 1/2 of the total world's market, therefor
there is a lot more competition here.

This is called "capitalism" and is generally good for people.

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

"PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrotenews:Vx4oe.82634$yV4.660@okepread03:

> "Mapanari" <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>>

> Because you do something all the time, hardly removes the possiblility
> of a mistake. That is why it is called a 'mistake'.
>
>> It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>>
>> It's now 10weeks and counting.
>>
>> www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>>
>> No reply to my email from last week.
>>
>> That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>>

> They say they have it and itis being processed, what's the problem.
> I could see cause for concern if it did not show it had been received OR
> if it was declined???
>

>> Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
>> sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
>>

> I won't argue this point with you, but not for the reason you suggest
> here.

You need to learn how to read, son.

I already said it was two weeks past due.

Not much escapes you does it?

--
---Mapanari---
June 4, 2005 3:13:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

I have to admit - much more clever than our village idiot! Can't agree with
you politics or views on some issues of the economy, but I do enjoy really
inventive invective. We'll save the political talk for another NG.
Needless to say, I agree with you about some of the rebate practices. I
just can't get so angry if the two week promise stretches to three.

> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrotenews:_V3oe.24266$J12.7194
> @newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:
>
>> So there you have it --- the man gets nasty when his views are
> criticized.
>>
>> "Mapanari" <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
>>> wrotenews:i12oe.24244$J12.2538@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

> guess
> into
>>>>

>>> I'm as proud of my Viking ancestry as probably you're as proud of your
> New
>>> Guianian headhunter forefothers.
>>>
>>> To you, "Tastes great! Less Filling" is not all about beer, is it?
>>>
>>> --
>>> ---Mapanari---
>>

> Top posting reject from an experiment in applied genetics gone horribly
> wrong when your rhesus mother's blastosphere was accidently mixed with a
> human drooling mongolid....if you think that's nasty, you have no funny
> bones in your humerous.
>

> --
> ---Mapanari---
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 8:14:32 AM

wrotenews:6u5oe.24285$J12.6228@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

> I have to admit - much more clever than our village idiot! Can't agree
> with you politics or views on some issues of the economy, but I do enjoy
> really inventive invective. We'll save the political talk for another
>

>> Top posting reject from an experiment in applied genetics gone horribly
>> wrong when your rhesus mother's blastosphere was accidently mixed with
>> a human drooling mongolid....if you think that's nasty, you have no
>> funny bones in your humerous.

If you agreed with all my viewpoints and politics, I'd have to hunt you down
and shoot you and save the world from another like me.

You're welcome to come join the fun at austin.general.

EOT (printers)

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrotenews:u_5oe.24288$J12.1259
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

> Having studied genetics, I would say that your conclusions are little more
> than conjecture, and racist at that.
> Not worthy of much more comment on a printer NG.

20 years ago you might have made a case based upon the politically correct
ignorance and the ostrising of anyone in academia who dared to be politically
incorrect like Jennings and Shockly, to name only a few, who were hounded out
by the ignoceti of academia and their easily lead and useful fools-ish
students.

You might want to read real books and I warn you, to get a good education in
genetics, you gotta read between the lines and read widely and from other
disciplines, like anthropology and biology and more.

To be truly wise and learned, you can't read one book by one bearded quasi-
homosexual leather-be-patched jacketed professor with bad breath and driving
a 7 year old Volvo.

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

In article <zpRne.112$xr.68@fed1read05>, fb@nospam.com says...
> Randy Howard wrote:
> > The ink industry? Yeah, we need more government authority over critical
> > aspects of life like the ink industry.
> >

> Oh no! Look who is demanding that the gov regulate the 3rd party ink
> market. What's wrong with this picture? How about the fact that he has
> one printer and has never, ever used 3rd party inks. Make him an expert
> I suppose.

I think your sarcasm detector is broken badly.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"I don't really care about being right you know,
I just care about success." --Steve Jobs
June 4, 2005 8:51:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote:
>Tony <> wrotenews:11a1j7a6t81ntdb@news.supernews.com:
>
>> Gee wiz Art, (off topic I know).
>> I have been following this post with great academic interest.
>> Where I live there is no such thing as a rebate (at least not of the
>> type that you are discussing) and I am beginning to believe that we are
>> better off, looks like a potential minefield. We just discount at the
>> time of sale. It's hard to see what advantage the rebate scheme would
>> have over advertised discounting, but I guess you have to experience
>> rebating before you know what advantages it has.
>> Tony
>>

>Uh, Tony, the reason why goods are so much cheaper and better deals in the
>USA, for many reasons including not having a VAT tax and such, is that we
>have advertised discounts AND rebates.
>
>The market in the USA is about 1/2 of the total world's market, therefor
>there is a lot more competition here.
>
>This is called "capitalism" and is generally good for people.
>

>--
>---Mapanari---

Thanks for that, last things first - I agree that capitalism is generally good
for people and indeed I live in a capitalist country (sorry, not for
disclosure) but one that does not have VAT at least not in the way that the
Brits have it.
If I convert our currency to US$ our printers retail for much less than they do
in the US, on a non converted dollar for 'local currency' basis they are about
the same price after your rebates. Of course there are many factors to take
into account before you can do a proper comparison (average wage, income tax,
cost of shipping, difference in functionality [Canon Pixma] etc etc) but as a
rough guide our technology products are well priced.
Anyway enough of this, I was interested in the rebate environment for purely
academic reasons.
Tony
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 4:05:59 PM

Mapanari wrote:

> Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrotenews:Y__ne.1561744$8l.426111
> @pd7tw1no:
>

>>Don't let the fulfillment company (the company usually hired to
>>distribute the rebates) get away with claiming you sent in wrong forms
>>or they did not receive your request in time.
>

> Most fulfillment companies are in Arizona and other southern states with
> lax rules, and even laxer and pro-illegal immigration base. These
> companies hire illegal aliens to do almost all the work and the quality is
> what you'd expect.

Personally, I couldn't be less interested in your personal bigotry and
biases.

>>Always keep accurate records of what you sent in when and how much is
>>due you when. Photocopy or at least scan the items you sent to them,
>>including the filled in form, and any receipts or UPC symbols, etc.
>

> I have never had any of them ask me for that. I keep records, but all they
> need to know is the date you sent it in, the amount etc. They're not going
> to ask you to send it in again. Costs too much. If you bitch enough,
> they'll just sent it to you and put a stop on their supposed previous
> check.
> That's what happened to me and my Magvision monitor $50 rebate.

I have, on numerous occasions, in fact. And indeed they have required
that I send them a fax showing the original materials (receipt, form
filled in, UPC symbol). That's why I suggested it. And these are
companies in the US, so it may not have happened to you, but it certain
does happen.

>>I have read the advertising these fulfillment companies send to the
>>companies that hire them. They often mention is somewhat vague terms
>>that they will help the manufacturer to pay out less rebate claims, but
>>reducing the number of eligible claimant.
>

> That could be construed as a criminal conspiracy to defraud.

It probably is, although it is written in "code".

>>Remind the fulfillment company that they have entered into a contract
>>with you, and make sure you can prove you fulfilled that contract on
>>your end (shipped on time, correct paperwork, etc). Tell them you will
>>begin charging them interest on the money after the due date.
>

> Empty threats that will never be realized just weakens your position.

That may be, but I don't issue empty threats. I have a healthy list of
successful lawsuits under my belt, in fact, I have yet to lose one yet.
I don't just threaten, I take action. The legal system may be a pain
to get through sometimes, but it is the only method that many seem to
understand. When I tell someone I'll see them in court, usually, that's
just were I see them (and boy, are they surprised).

>>And remember, don't just threaten, if you don't get satisfaction, fill
>>out the web form with the US Postal Services or the state attorney
>>general of your state or both.
>

> That's about the only two things that might work.

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 4:54:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Yeah, but how much of a premium did you have to pay at the store to
begin with ;-)

Art

Hecate wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:54:26 GMT, Mike Smith <mws@wt.net> wrote:
>

>>Mine took about 10 weeks, too. It's status was "processing" when I
>>received it in the mail.
>>
>>Sure do like my IP3000 & i960.
>>

> Sorry all you USA'ns seem to be having problems. Canon Europe (through
> the company they employ for the job) took 3 weeks to send me my £100
> rebate for my 300mm f4L. And my free 256Mb CF card should be here in
> the next week or so...
>
> ;-)
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
> you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 4:54:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

And this thread has become a fine example of the problems with un-moderated
newsgroups.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:12:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Keep the "world" out of it. Most of us who live in countries that have
free speech, a free press and actually get to find out what's really
happening in the world via news that's not owned by Westinghouse, GE,
RCA, the Disney Channel, a bunch of right wing fanatics, Halliburton,
Diebold and the like, unlike the "great democracy" you live "under",
have long ago recognized how the US is just a legend it its own mind.

I was just mentioning to my wife how in 1984 Americans were mulling
around proudly indicating how wrong George Orwell was about that "big
brother" state fascism thing. and yet it just took another 15 or so
years for the Republicans under Bushbaby's administration to make it all
come true.

Art

Mapanari wrote:

> I'm sure the welfare crowd, along with liberals, democrats, the young, the
> stupid and the foolish all realize this is a great deal, but the people who
> actually pay more in taxes than they recieve know it's not, so they save
> money, which then gets stolen from them by the slavering masses of local
> ignorati and redistributed to the mooing morons of the country and the
> world.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:17:13 PM

Now we have both a village idiot AND a racist fascist...

Hey, all we need is some Republcian money and we can start a talk show
radio network!

Art

Mapanari wrote:

> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
> wrotenews:i12oe.24244$J12.2538@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:
>

>>Adolf would be proud of you, Mapanari. On the other hand, I would guess
>>that you are not a blond, aryan superman and would have been thrown into
>>the ovens if you were so unfortunate to have been in Deutschland in the
>>early '40's
>>

> I'm as proud of my Viking ancestry as probably you're as proud of your New
> Guianian headhunter forefothers.
>
> To you, "Tastes great! Less Filling" is not all about beer, is it?

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:41:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Rebates are another type of target price marketing.

Studies show that people, even those who do not follow through with a
rebate, either forgetting to file, or just deciding it's too much work,
still quote the rebated price as what they paid for the item. Of
course, they actually often paid full price, but they don't recall it
that way.

Everyone likes to feel they got a deal, but many people have limited
patience in actually receiving the "deal", or their lives end up more
time consumed than they had anticipated. The majority of rebate
failures are the result of people not sending them in. They either
forget, or intend to, but miss the deadline, or lose some of the paper
work and give up. The next group is worse still, because these are
people who take the time to fill out the paperwork, but do not follow
the instructions to the letter. It is people who fail to read the often
onerous requirements fully, including not providing the correct proof of
purchase, or sending the refund request to the incorrect address, etc.

Then finally, there are those who get twarted by the rebate company,
because the rebate is not forthcoming, or the fulfillment company claims
the paperwork was not complete, etc.

All in all, a "good" response and ultimate pay out is %5 of the total
purchases. More typical they run 1-3% of successful rebate returns.
That means 97-99% of the people who believe they bought a product at a
rebated discount, in fact payed full, or at least a higher price. That
makes everyone happy, the buyer *thinks* he got a good deal, becuase he
forgets what he really paid, the vendor and manufacturer sold more
goods, the fulfillment company gets to hire people to work through the
paper work, and gets their profit, and the manufacturer pays out
considerably less than it would appear. In most jurisdictions, the
rebated amount is taxed at the standard federal and state sales tax, so
the government is happy too.

Lastly, public companies that sell tangibles like them for yet another
reason. They can make their quarterly finacials look better by staging
a large rebate on a product, clearing the channel, lowering inventories,
and yet the liability to pay the money back is 6-12 or more weeks later
into the beginning of the next quarte. making teh companies sales look
much better.

Quite the little game, eh?

Art

Tony wrote:

> [...]
>>with you, and make sure you can prove you fulfilled that contract on
>>your end (shipped on time, correct paperwork, etc). Tell them you will
>>begin charging them interest on the money after the due date.
>>
>>And remember, don't just threaten, if you don't get satisfaction, fill
>>out the web form with the US Postal Services or the state attorney
>>general of your state or both.
>>
>>Art
>>

>>zmike6 wrote:

>>>10 weeks and counting for mine too, and they are only sending me $20
>>>instead of the $70 I am eligible for. They claim my receipt isn't
>>>good enough despite it clearly showing the digital camera and printer
>>>model numbers. (and I sent in both UPC codes from the boxes). They
>>>are incredibly slow at responding to email, but eventually they did in
>>>my case. Was yours for a digital camera + printer as well?

June 4, 2005 6:33:52 PM

"PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> And this thread has become a fine example of the problems with
> un-moderated newsgroups.

Nobody's forcing you to stay.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 8:44:36 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> Keep the "world" out of it. Most of us who live in countries that have
> free speech, a free press and actually get to find out what's really
> happening in the world....

Indeed. With content readily available from *state-run* media sources
such as Britain's BBC, France's TV5 or Norway's NRK, why should any
rational being think otherwise? Add *Rupert Murdoch's* "SkyNews", "The
Sun", "The Times" and "News of the World" to the aforementioned
information outlets, and you guys and gals in the old country now
possess the uncanny ability to solve all the great mysteries of the
universe!

Congratulations.

--
"Lachen heißt; schadenfroh sein, aber mit gutem Gewissen"
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Took 10 weeks to get here, a 20+50 rebate, that only
came as $20. I contacted the rebate people weeks prior,
who gave me the run-around, never answering why it's not
70, only telling me that it is 20 over and over, in a
dementia-damaged brain sort of way. This will only make
me think twice about canon again. I don't know why canon
stoops this low, contracting morons can't be good for
the business in the long run. Last canon I bought was in
1980, and it (A-1 camera) went screwy a few weeks later.
It may be another 25 years before I think about them again.
I got a full refund on that, though (yay, K-Mart -- $700
camera at K-Mart?).

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for mobiles

<hel@40th.com> wrote in message
> Took 10 weeks to get here, a 20+50 rebate, that only
> came as $20. I contacted the rebate people weeks prior,
> who gave me the run-around, never answering why it's not
> 70, only telling me that it is 20 over and over, in a
> dementia-damaged brain sort of way. This will only make
> me think twice about canon again. I don't know why canon
> stoops this low, contracting morons can't be good for
> the business in the long run. Last canon I bought was in
> 1980, and it (A-1 camera) went screwy a few weeks later.
> It may be another 25 years before I think about them again.
> I got a full refund on that, though (yay, K-Mart -- $700
> camera at K-Mart?).

A Canon A1 is a fine Camera (owned one myself for nearly 20 years.
Shame you got a bad one.

What $20+$50 rebate did you supposedly get screwed out of? and how?
June 4, 2005 9:05:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,austin.general (More info?)

Samsung computer monitor $70 rebate report:
Mailed, with every i dotted and t crossed, early in the first week of this
past January. Supposed to arrive 6-8 weeks later. Over 8 weeks later, after
mid-March, I call the toll-free number on my rebate receipt and asked where
it might be. The terse answer, without apologies for it already being over 8
weeks, is it should arrive in early April. Mid-April, I call again. Samsung
says to wait a certain number of days more before applying for a lost check
in the mail situation. I then call Best Buy, where I bought the monitor and
offers help with rebate situations with manufacuters, tell them the
situation. The clerk is polite, says this is totally unacceptable, and
Samsung will hear about it from Best Buy. The Samsung rebate site now claims
the check was sent in the first week of April. It finally arrives April
25th, some 15 weeks after submission.

I will not buy a Samsung product with a rebate offer anytime soon.

"Mapanari" <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote
> I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>
> It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>
> It's now 10weeks and counting.
>
> www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>
> No reply to my email from last week.
>
> That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>
> Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
> sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 9:34:59 PM

Mapanari wrote:
> I do rebates all the time, so I don't make mistakes.
>
> It's supposed to be 8 weeks.
>
> It's now 10weeks and counting.
>
> www.canon.rebatestatus.com
>
> No reply to my email from last week.
>
> That admit they have and it's being "processed".
>
> Wish some attorny general would slap a class action suit against these
> sonsofbitches and clean up the whole dirty rebate business.

Could be mistaken, but I thought the TX state AG jumped all over one of
the vendors, perhaps CompUSA, on account of slow rebate processing a
couple of years ago.

Anyway, I recently received a $30 rebate for a MAG monitor purchased
through Best Buy. Waited about 6 weeks.

Perhaps give it a little more time.

--
"Lachen heißt; schadenfroh sein, aber mit gutem Gewissen"
!