Help...am I already dead in the water???

cpres

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hope this is the right place...

Just got the case (and waiting for the motherboard to come in) but what I did notice in the book is there is a chance that the motherboard ports on the back will not match the case...

HELP!!! What do you do then? Do I have to get a different board, ports, case...???

Basically it's the Antec P180 with DFI NF4 SLI Infinity and just based on pictures I don't see a good match.

cpres

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Okee :)

First time building...I am looking foward to the experience.

I guess we will see when I get the board...

But here is what I am referring to...

3. How do I know that the back of Antec's cases will be compatible with the motherboard I plan to use?
All Antec ATX cases feature interchangeable I/O panels, which gives you flexibility for use with a wide variety of ATX motherboards. If the I/O panel we provide does not work with your motherboard please contact your motherboard manufacturer for the correct I/O panel for their motherboard.

Does this mean anything at all, and if so how do I go about changing. I know I hard DFI has a support board but I can't seem to locate it.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Typically you'll get an I/O panel with the motherboard, just toss you one you got with the case, no worries.

I was installing a mobo in a case tonight. The biggest pain in the #$* was the I/O panel. Make sure it goes on before you mount your board and make sure there are no clips blocking the ports (usually you need to bend a few back into the case to rest against the I/O boxes).

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
oh wow calm down man. All new motherboards come with a back panel that you can switch out on your case. The back panel on your case right now should be able to pop off and then you just pop on the one that comes with the motherboard.

Motherboard and CPU was originally a combo from Frys (CPU was a 3200+) $180
Ram from Frys was $100
Video Card, also from Frys $130
Built it back in Feb this year.

Already had the drives, case, PSU, sound card from a previous build.
I just dropped in the 4600+ this past weekend, paid $340 for it, also from Frys.

Never was much for ordering online and waiting even though you can usually get better deals. I get in the mood to do it, and I just make the 10 minute drive to Frys and buy it, bring it home and build! It's like an impulse thing I guess. If something won't work, I can drive right back and exchange it on the spot.

Typically you'll get an I/O panel with the motherboard, just toss you one you got with the case, no worries.

I was installing a mobo in a case tonight. The biggest pain in the #$* was the I/O panel. Make sure it goes on before you mount your board and make sure there are no clips blocking the ports (usually you need to bend a few back into the case to rest against the I/O boxes).

Right on there, than stinking little plate can pretty darned irritating if you don't follow this suggestion!

Next time Fry's has a MoBo/CPU combo ask if you can trade up to a better MB. I went from ECS to ABIT for like $20 difference. If they start asking for management, run over to micro center and BS them into a deal.

Good advise, thanks!
Yep, I do kind of go back and forth between Fry's and Microcenter, but this last time I just breezed through Fry's and grabbed everything there.
It's a cheap board, but you know, it's been pretty darned good for what I do. Have not had one single problem, from the very start booted straight away, and been rock solid. Had that 3200 running at 2.4 ghz just by upping the bus a bit. Soon as this 4600 gets a little time on it, I'll jump it up a bit and see how things go. Now, as soon as one of the 1800XT's drops to $200........

Good advise, thanks!
Yep, I do kind of go back and forth between Fry's and Microcenter, but this last time I just breezed through Fry's and grabbed everything there.
It's a cheap board, but you know, it's been pretty darned good for what I do. Have not had one single problem, from the very start booted straight away, and been rock solid. Had that 3200 running at 2.4 ghz just by upping the bus a bit. Soon as this 4600 gets a little time on it, I'll jump it up a bit and see how things go. Now, as soon as one of the 1800XT's drops to $200........

I have about five MSI boards. Like them, but I prefer a stable, no problem ASUS these days. Want to swap out my MSN K8N N4 SLI in my sig for the ASUS A8N32-SLi with the 8 way voltage circuit. Waiting for the price to dip below $140.00. It's a socket 939. Should be clearance stuff soon. I have three MSI NF3 Platinum and none of them will run Corsair XMX 2-3-2-6 at 2CL. I just have more fun with my ASUS boards. Yeah I'm at the 55 Freeway and Knoll Ranch Road, just up north of Micro Center. I buy a lot of stuff there. They have some great online coupons they send out if you get on their mailing list. 160 gig SATA 3.0 HD for $79.00 w/coupon. Sony DVD ROM $23.00. Samsung DVD-RW $29.00. The Animalheim Fry's is even closer. I bought a Maxtor 300 gig 16 mb SATA for $99.00 the other day. I bought a 100 spindle of of DVD-R 16x for $21.00 at Fry's! Not bad at all. Last time my wife went I slipped some artic silver in the cart.

Hope this is the right place...

Just got the case (and waiting for the motherboard to come in) but what I did notice in the book is there is a chance that the motherboard ports on the back will not match the case...

HELP!!! What do you do then? Do I have to get a different board, ports, case...???

Basically it's the Antec P180 with DFI NF4 SLI Infinity and just based on pictures I don't see a good match.

I always like to hook up the front panel connectors (power switch, reset switch, HDD Led, etc.) to the MB before tightening it down into the case. Of course, you'll be so preoccupied with everything else your doing you won't remember I told you so until it's too late. :D

:)
I am further down just past the 405/55 split close to the Fairgounds in Costa Mesa, but I work just off Redhill and MacArthur. I am in Micro center all the time getting stuff for the office. I saw those deals on the Maxtor drives at Frys, and ALMOST bought a couple, but what the heck I still have plenty of room for now, wanted that 4600X2, and still had to hit the Orange County Fair and give them a small fortune Saturday night.

:)
I am further down just past the 405/55 split close to the Fairgounds in Costa Mesa, but I work just off Redhill and MacArthur. I am in Micro center all the time getting stuff for the office. I saw those deals on the Maxtor drives at Frys, and ALMOST bought a couple, but what the heck I still have plenty of room for now, wanted that 4600X2, and still had to hit the Orange County Fair and give them a small fortune Saturday night.

Delmar is great! I guess that's what you meant. I get to Newport on occasion and take in the beach. Newport is geat. Always look for Dennis Rodman to pop up! Guess I should spend more time at hooters! 8O :D