Win2k Advanced Desktop hangs

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi All.

I'm experiencing a problem with my win2k Advanced server
where the desktop suddenly hangs and the mouse and
keyboard no longer respond.

The strangest part (other that this happening at all) is
that I can still access the box via the network, even
after it hangs. I'm not sure how to even diagnose the
problem, to be honest. Does anyone have any experience
with this?

Thanks in advance

Can you remotely check Event Viewer? Control Panel|Admin Tools|Computer
Management|Action|Connect to another computer to check the Event log.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Dave" wrote:
| Hi All.
|
| I'm experiencing a problem with my win2k Advanced server
| where the desktop suddenly hangs and the mouse and
| keyboard no longer respond.
|
| The strangest part (other that this happening at all) is
| that I can still access the box via the network, even
| after it hangs. I'm not sure how to even diagnose the
| problem, to be honest. Does anyone have any experience
| with this?
|
| Thanks in advance

Although I can access drive shares and web sites on the
server, I can't connect to the event viewer remotely.
After I reboot, though, I don't see anything in the event
viewer logs at all.

I have an ATA-1200A Raid card in my computer, and I'm
starting to think it's responsible somehow. If it was,
though, I'd expect to see a BSOD and I never do.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks!

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"Dave" wrote:
>| Hi All.
>|
>| I'm experiencing a problem with my win2k Advanced
server
>| where the desktop suddenly hangs and the mouse and
>| keyboard no longer respond.
>|
>| The strangest part (other that this happening at all)
is
>| that I can still access the box via the network, even
>| after it hangs. I'm not sure how to even diagnose the
>| problem, to be honest. Does anyone have any experience
>| with this?
>|
>| Thanks in advance
>

>.

Did you mean nothing at all as in zero records? If so the files may be
corrupt. Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Services|Event Log
Service|General, set the "Startup Type:" to "Disabled" restart the pc, then
delete (or move) the corrupt *.evt file(s) from %windir%\system32\config
then set the Event Log Service "Startup Type:" back to "Automatic", restart
for effect.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| Although I can access drive shares and web sites on the
| server, I can't connect to the event viewer remotely.
| After I reboot, though, I don't see anything in the event
| viewer logs at all.
|
| I have an ATA-1200A Raid card in my computer, and I'm
| starting to think it's responsible somehow. If it was,
| though, I'd expect to see a BSOD and I never do.
|
| Anything else I can try?
|
| Thanks!

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I mean I don't see any errors or warnings in the log that
would provide any information on why the server's desktop
is hanging. In other words, the Event Viewer doesn't
help.

So, why would the desktop hang? I thought this was all
but impossible with win2k. the process is supposed to
crash or we get a blue screen, right?

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>| Although I can access drive shares and web sites on the
>| server, I can't connect to the event viewer remotely.
>| After I reboot, though, I don't see anything in the
event
>| viewer logs at all.
>|
>| I have an ATA-1200A Raid card in my computer, and I'm
>| starting to think it's responsible somehow. If it was,
>| though, I'd expect to see a BSOD and I never do.
>|
>| Anything else I can try?
>|
>| Thanks!
>

>.

Can you describe "desktop suddenly hangs" Does this mean the desktop loads
and the hardware no longer works or the desktop never loads? Then after
reboot everything works? So far I'm confused.

--

"Dave" wrote:
| I mean I don't see any errors or warnings in the log that
| would provide any information on why the server's desktop
| is hanging. In other words, the Event Viewer doesn't
| help.
|
| So, why would the desktop hang? I thought this was all
| but impossible with win2k. the process is supposed to
| crash or we get a blue screen, right?

You might check the hardware manufacturer's web site for an updated driver
for your graphics adapter.

--

"Dave" wrote:
| Nope, no hourglass. It's almost like time just stops.
|
| I also suspect a driver problem, but without a blue screen
| or any event viewer info it's impossible to figure out
| what the issue is. It's so odd...
|
| Thanks again for your time. I appreciate it.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I'll give it a shot. nothing to lose at this point,
right? Thanks again.

newsgroup.