Rebuild a Server

We had an NT Primary Domain Controller. Then, we built a new Windows 2000
Server as a Domain Controller and upgraded this PDC to a Windows 2000 Domain
Controller. This PDC Emulator server is running DHCP and is also a Primary
Wins Server.

Since we are going to build a new server to replace this PDC Emulator, do
you expect any problems? Is there something that we should know about?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about rebuild server

    So you have 2 servers that are win2k DCs for the same domain and your going
    to replace the one that was the old NT 4 PDC and the first server that you
    upgraded to Win2k AD

    Is this correct?

    If so you would need to move the FSMO roles across to the other server
    do this before you replace the failed pdc
    transfer the roles across using the mmc.
    see

    Also ensure that any other services that may be required are transferred to
    the other DC also.

    You might want to replicate AD and ensure that there are no errors.
    hth

    rgds
    Steve

    "Diane Walker" <ett9300@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > We had an NT Primary Domain Controller. Then, we built a new Windows 2000
    > Server as a Domain Controller and upgraded this PDC to a Windows 2000
    Domain
    > Controller. This PDC Emulator server is running DHCP and is also a
    Primary
    > Wins Server.
    >
    > Since we are going to build a new server to replace this PDC Emulator, do
    > you expect any problems? Is there something that we should know about?
    >
    > Thanks.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Yes, this is correct.

    For the new server, would you recommend to use the same server name and the
    same IP address of the old server after bringing down the old server?

    Thanks.

    "Steve" <s.simpson_no1spam@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > So you have 2 servers that are win2k DCs for the same domain and your
    going
    > to replace the one that was the old NT 4 PDC and the first server that you
    > upgraded to Win2k AD
    >
    > Is this correct?
    >
    > If so you would need to move the FSMO roles across to the other server
    > do this before you replace the failed pdc
    > transfer the roles across using the mmc.
    > see
    >
    > Also ensure that any other services that may be required are transferred
    > the other DC also.
    >
    > You might want to replicate AD and ensure that there are no errors.
    > hth
    >
    > rgds
    > Steve
    >

    > "Diane Walker" <ett9300@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > We had an NT Primary Domain Controller. Then, we built a new Windows
    2000
    > > Server as a Domain Controller and upgraded this PDC to a Windows 2000
    > Domain
    > > Controller. This PDC Emulator server is running DHCP and is also a
    > Primary
    > > Wins Server.
    > >
    > > Since we are going to build a new server to replace this PDC Emulator,
    do
    > > you expect any problems? Is there something that we should know about?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Diane
    we personally don't reuse server names if the role of the server changes,
    just in case the re-use of the name causes a problem on the network we do
    re-use the IP address though.
    But if we were rebuilding the server onto a new hardware platform and it
    was going to be doing the same role, then we would re-use the name and the
    ip address.

    It's really up to you and your company policy.

    I hope things go okay and this helps a little
    rgds
    Steve

    "Diane Walker" wrote
    > Yes, this is correct.
    >
    > For the new server, would you recommend to use the same server name and
    the
    > same IP address of the old server after bringing down the old server?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Steve" wrote
    >
    > > So you have 2 servers that are win2k DCs for the same domain and your
    > going
    > > to replace the one that was the old NT 4 PDC and the first server that
    you
    > > upgraded to Win2k AD
    > >
    > > Is this correct?
    > >
    > > If so you would need to move the FSMO roles across to the other server
    > > do this before you replace the failed pdc
    > > transfer the roles across using the mmc.
    > > see
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=255690
    > >
    > > Also ensure that any other services that may be required are transferred
    > > the other DC also.
    > >
    > > You might want to replicate AD and ensure that there are no errors.
    > > hth
    > >
    > > rgds
    > > Steve
    > >

    > > "Diane Walker" wrote in
    > > > We had an NT Primary Domain Controller. Then, we built a new Windows
    > 2000
    > > > Server as a Domain Controller and upgraded this PDC to a Windows 2000
    > > Domain
    > > > Controller. This PDC Emulator server is running DHCP and is also a
    > > Primary
    > > > Wins Server.
    > > >
    > > > Since we are going to build a new server to replace this PDC Emulator,
    > do
    > > > you expect any problems? Is there something that we should know
    about?

    > > > Thanks.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Thank you very much for your quick response.

    > Diane
    > we personally don't reuse server names if the role of the server changes,
    > just in case the re-use of the name causes a problem on the network we do
    > re-use the IP address though.
    > But if we were rebuilding the server onto a new hardware platform and it
    > was going to be doing the same role, then we would re-use the name and the
    > ip address.
    >
    > It's really up to you and your company policy.
    >
    > I hope things go okay and this helps a little
    > rgds
    > Steve
    >

    > "Diane Walker" wrote
    > > Yes, this is correct.
    > >
    > > For the new server, would you recommend to use the same server name and
    > the
    > > same IP address of the old server after bringing down the old server?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > "Steve" wrote
    > >
    > > > So you have 2 servers that are win2k DCs for the same domain and your
    > > going
    > > > to replace the one that was the old NT 4 PDC and the first server that
    > you
    > > > upgraded to Win2k AD
    > > >
    > > > Is this correct?
    > > >
    > > > If so you would need to move the FSMO roles across to the other server
    > > > do this before you replace the failed pdc
    > > > transfer the roles across using the mmc.
    > > > see
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=255690
    > > >
    > > > Also ensure that any other services that may be required are
    transferred
    > > > the other DC also.
    > > >
    > > > You might want to replicate AD and ensure that there are no errors.
    > > > hth
    > > >
    > > > rgds
    > > > Steve
    > > >

    > > > "Diane Walker" wrote in