Rebuild a Server

We had an NT Primary Domain Controller. Then, we built a new Windows 2000
Server as a Domain Controller and upgraded this PDC to a Windows 2000 Domain
Controller. This PDC Emulator server is running DHCP and is also a Primary
Wins Server.

Since we are going to build a new server to replace this PDC Emulator, do
you expect any problems? Is there something that we should know about?

Thanks.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

So you have 2 servers that are win2k DCs for the same domain and your going
to replace the one that was the old NT 4 PDC and the first server that you
upgraded to Win2k AD

Is this correct?

If so you would need to move the FSMO roles across to the other server
do this before you replace the failed pdc
transfer the roles across using the mmc.
see

Also ensure that any other services that may be required are transferred to
the other DC also.

You might want to replicate AD and ensure that there are no errors.
hth

rgds
Steve

"Diane Walker" <ett9300@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We had an NT Primary Domain Controller. Then, we built a new Windows 2000
> Server as a Domain Controller and upgraded this PDC to a Windows 2000
Domain
> Controller. This PDC Emulator server is running DHCP and is also a
Primary
> Wins Server.
>
> Since we are going to build a new server to replace this PDC Emulator, do
> you expect any problems? Is there something that we should know about?
>
> Thanks.

Yes, this is correct.

For the new server, would you recommend to use the same server name and the
same IP address of the old server after bringing down the old server?

Thanks.

"Steve" <s.simpson_no1spam@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> So you have 2 servers that are win2k DCs for the same domain and your
going
> to replace the one that was the old NT 4 PDC and the first server that you
> upgraded to Win2k AD
>
> Is this correct?
>
> If so you would need to move the FSMO roles across to the other server
> do this before you replace the failed pdc
> transfer the roles across using the mmc.
> see
>
> Also ensure that any other services that may be required are transferred
> the other DC also.
>
> You might want to replicate AD and ensure that there are no errors.
> hth
>
> rgds
> Steve
>

> "Diane Walker" <ett9300@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > We had an NT Primary Domain Controller. Then, we built a new Windows
2000
> > Server as a Domain Controller and upgraded this PDC to a Windows 2000
> Domain
> > Controller. This PDC Emulator server is running DHCP and is also a
> Primary
> > Wins Server.
> >
> > Since we are going to build a new server to replace this PDC Emulator,
do
> > you expect any problems? Is there something that we should know about?
> >
> > Thanks.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Diane
we personally don't reuse server names if the role of the server changes,
just in case the re-use of the name causes a problem on the network we do
re-use the IP address though.
But if we were rebuilding the server onto a new hardware platform and it
was going to be doing the same role, then we would re-use the name and the
ip address.

It's really up to you and your company policy.

I hope things go okay and this helps a little
rgds
Steve

"Diane Walker" wrote
> Yes, this is correct.
>
> For the new server, would you recommend to use the same server name and
the
> same IP address of the old server after bringing down the old server?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Steve" wrote
>
> > So you have 2 servers that are win2k DCs for the same domain and your
> going
> > to replace the one that was the old NT 4 PDC and the first server that
you
> > upgraded to Win2k AD
> >
> > Is this correct?
> >
> > If so you would need to move the FSMO roles across to the other server
> > do this before you replace the failed pdc
> > transfer the roles across using the mmc.
> > see
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=255690
> >
> > Also ensure that any other services that may be required are transferred
> > the other DC also.
> >
> > You might want to replicate AD and ensure that there are no errors.
> > hth
> >
> > rgds
> > Steve
> >

> > "Diane Walker" wrote in
> > > We had an NT Primary Domain Controller. Then, we built a new Windows
> 2000
> > > Server as a Domain Controller and upgraded this PDC to a Windows 2000
> > Domain
> > > Controller. This PDC Emulator server is running DHCP and is also a
> > Primary
> > > Wins Server.
> > >
> > > Since we are going to build a new server to replace this PDC Emulator,
> do
> > > you expect any problems? Is there something that we should know
about?

> > > Thanks.

Thank you very much for your quick response.