Help Build "Naked" Conroe Budget PC (~$515)

magisbladius

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
-Must have Intel Core 2 Duo.
-Need a case.
-Need a HD, <=120 (around that amount). (I'm pretty good with this part.)
-Video capabalities must be better than a Geforce 3. I don't want a video card. Looking for an integrated one with those capabilities.
-Power supply: Would my old Dell 250W one be fine?
-Memory: Would my, especially, SDRAM or DDR work?

I will be upgrading ASAP, but for now those are my limits.

Currently, I have a 10-year old desktop: 512 ram, Geforce 3, 866MHz, 15" CRT, 186GB IDE-HDD.

Currently, my interests include watching video files and playing not too intensive PC games, plus other various, misc. tasks. I have ordered a Samsung 215TW which will also be used for HD video in the future, but that's not too of a concern at the moment. So just focus on video files and not too intensive PC games (Guild Wars, free MMORPG, etc.).

And the motherboard should be compliant with Vista features (I'm waiting for DX10 video cards).

Summary: Help me choose a motherboard with an integrated GPU , an ATX case, and an Intel Core 2 Duo that will not pose any problems for future upgrades such as DDR2, DX10, etc. all within my listed limits on a ~$515 budget.

Side note: You can go above $515, but not so much as to go into another league such as $700.

P.S. I have waited 10+ years, so I feel a little agitated just thinking about it anymore due to the long wait. If what I want isn't possible then no problem.

As of right now, there are no boards with integrated video which support Conroe.

Here's the best I can do:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7300GS

Power Supply: A 250W supply isn't enough for just about any computer out today. 350W minimum, 400 is better. I would go for the Antec Truepower 430W for now.

RAM: None of those will work, the ram MUST BE DDR2. I would go for this set of OCZ Gold 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2-800

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB SATA2

Case: I'll leave that up to you and your tastes.... but here is the search page at Newegg so you can have a look for yourself.

All of these parts listed in this post before taxes and shipping: $444.95