How to set up users to run a Legacy Application

I want to know if there is a defined set rule for setting up users in a
Active Directory with one Domain Controller when installing a Legacy
Application. I understand there is know Power Users in W2 Advanced Server so
do you start with the User account and add rights & permissions or do you
start with Domain Users! I don't understand why there is not a template of
default criteria required to setup Share, Users, Permissions, ACL in W2.

If you know of any additonal resources I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
Robert
2 answers Last reply
More about users legacy application

    That would be quite a complex template.
    Permissions on shares and NTFS permissions have a default setting but there
    are so many different uses and/or requirements based upon who is accessing
    the data.
    For legacy applications usually the Power Users or obviously the Local Admin
    should have no problems running the app. Due to the requirements of the app
    can make this a complex task. For example not all applications need to
    write to the registry or load and unload device drivers.

    --
    James Brandt [MSFT]

    "RC" <RC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to know if there is a defined set rule for setting up users in a
    > Active Directory with one Domain Controller when installing a Legacy
    > Application. I understand there is know Power Users in W2 Advanced Server
    > so
    > do you start with the User account and add rights & permissions or do you
    > start with Domain Users! I don't understand why there is not a template
    > of
    > default criteria required to setup Share, Users, Permissions, ACL in W2.
    >
    > If you know of any additonal resources I would greatly appreciate.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Robert
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    <jabrandt@online.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > That would be quite a complex template.
    > Permissions on shares and NTFS permissions have a default setting but
    > there are so many different uses and/or requirements based upon who is
    > accessing the data.
    > For legacy applications usually the Power Users or obviously the Local
    > Admin should have no problems running the app. Due to the
    > requirements of the app can make this a complex task. For example not
    > all applications need to write to the registry or load and unload
    > device drivers.

    I've also the same problem.
    At the company, we still got a Win2K Domain. Normal users cannot execute
    or install programs. But they also cannot retrieve Norton Antivirus
    upgrades. Thus at this moment an administrator logs in into the pc and
    get the antivirus definitions and the windows updates.
    But is there no way that users can perform those actions by themself?
    Can I give them usersrights at the domain level, and via an Policy
    define wich programs or drivers they can use and install?
    Another way is to make them users at domain level and powerusers at the
    local level? Is this possible?

    Thanks in advance,

    Dirk

Legacy Servers Windows