Real Gaming Challenge Rematch: Intel vs. AMD

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I haven't read the article yet, but I've concluded that the Core 2 Duo beats the Athlon 64 X2. I came to that conclusion based solely upon your warning to BM.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I haven't read the article yet, but I've concluded that the Core 2 Duo beats the Athlon 64 X2. I came to that conclusion based solely upon your warning to BM.

Well, I just came from there and it's not such ablowout. One game has a 17% lead with 5000+ vs 6600. The game I was curious about was Oblivion since it is the game for stressing a system. A 3% difference there is basically negligible and says that for the most stressful modern games YOU WON'T SEE A DIFFERENCE UNLESS YOU TAKE OUT A STOPWATCH. Or run FRAPS to compare with an AMD score.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I'd be a lot more impressed if I knew you weren't doing this just to piss BM off. Everyone knows Core 2 beats the current A64 architecture, but the gains in real-world gaming are negligible because you are GPU-limited at high resolutions and detail levels.

Lay the hell off.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
It wasn't done just to piss off BM, I just thought I should throw a in a jab. Its a good article, we've seen articles on all the chips except for the 6600 against its rival in the X2 5000.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Notice the "World of Warcraft" test for the E6600 has 6 FPS. Clearly a mistake, but got me at first. Clearly overall the E6600 surpasses X2 5000 in gaming and no doubt in other applications.

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Upon reading the article, I'm surprised that the difference is only about 10%. Noticable of course. But after reading all of the praise here, I expected a much bigger difference.

Intel has done a nice job here, rejoining the competition. Their new Conroe is indeed faster, if only marginally.

Why? Core 2 isn't faster anymore because Intel was a year late to the challenge. Stop bringing me up. I don't care. My PC is doing just fine.

So it only matters if AMD wins? If AMD had been the winner you would have embraced this benchmark. But because it goes against your AMD agenda you wish to disregard and discredit the benchmark.

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
It was a good 31% faster in HL2 and 18% in BF2. It provides a more stable framerate whilst only dipping below the threshold 3% compared to 10%.

and only 1% in another category. The overall average was ~10%. I'm not bashing this processor. I think they've done a fabulous job with this new family of CPUs. But I don't make my purchase decisions based on a single game that will go by the wayside as time passes (yes I'm aware of the popularity of the Half-Life series). Future games may show an even greater advantage. Intel rarely has trouble garnering software support.

With an overall 10% advantage, the Conroe is the unquestionably the new leader. But, in my opinion, 10% is exceeded by all the hype. I guess if I was a fanboy, this 10% would be either f'ing amazing or terribly insignificant depending on my choice of who to be a wannabe groupie for.

My point here is simple. 10%. It is what it is.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Do you only listen to half my post?

When that's the half I want to reply to, yes.

Sigh this is going to get locked.

Good, it's a crap topic - mainly because you just posted this to piss BM off - and because everyone knows games are GPU limited at high resolutions and detail levels, and CPU limited at low resolutions and detail levels.

STFU.