Your question

AMD Puts Arms Around ATI: Questions Answered

Last response: in CPUs
August 1, 2006 1:06:43 PM

Enjoy!

Link.

Just for pope

Quote:
X-bit labs: Is there a plan to use AMD’s fabs to produce ATI’s GPUs and if there are such intentions, where do you plan to produce those chips? In Germany, or in New York?

Tom McCoy: We do not plan at this time to use AMD capacity to fabricate ATI GPUs.

X-bit labs: Is it a possibility in the long-term future?

Tom McCoy: In the long-term future the time will tell. But our strategy is to take advantage of the capability that ATI has working with the foundry partners that are best in the world. We do not intend to disrupt that strategy.
August 1, 2006 1:39:04 PM

But I thought AMD was going to come in and totally overhaul ATI and force them to do AMD's every command?
August 1, 2006 1:58:26 PM

Quote:
Enjoy!

Link.

Just for pope

X-bit labs: Is there a plan to use AMD’s fabs to produce ATI’s GPUs and if there are such intentions, where do you plan to produce those chips? In Germany, or in New York?

Tom McCoy: We do not plan at this time to use AMD capacity to fabricate ATI GPUs.

Tom McCoy: In the long-term future the time will tell. But our strategy is to take advantage of the capability that ATI has working with the foundry partners that are best in the world. We do not intend to disrupt that strategy.

But, but... but... Mr. Action_Man, I read it in the Inquirer.... how can this be?

ROTFL! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  OH MAn! Jack Your a killer :p 
Related resources
August 1, 2006 2:55:47 PM

Quote:
Enjoy!

Link.

Just for pope

But, but... but... Mr. Action_Man, I read it in the Inquirer.... how can this be?

Obviously, the Enq has the facts. These AMD/ATI bigwigs are just throwing up a smokescreen to confuzzle Intel.
August 1, 2006 4:52:42 PM

I sure would like to know what the AMD/ATI strategy is going to be. I guess we will find out sometime in 2008 when they supposedly will start joint development.
August 1, 2006 5:02:48 PM

Quote:
Enjoy!

Link.

Just for pope

My only question is now do people believe me that AMD will NOT be making GPUs ANYTIME SOON?
August 1, 2006 5:03:56 PM

Quote:
Enjoy!

Link.

Just for pope

My only question is now do people believe me that AMD will NOT be making GPUs ANYTIME SOON?

Fail
August 1, 2006 5:30:55 PM

do u have some horrible forum intel virus that anything about AMD gets FAIL posted?
August 1, 2006 6:01:37 PM

Quote:

You're always spankin' yerself all over this forum about how your predictions come true. So lay it out in clear terms. Tell us, OGO, and tell us EXACTLY how the AMD/ATI evolution will unfold. Tell us what products to expect, when to expect them, and most importantly, project the effects these devices will have on the industry. Be specific. I already made a related prediction - that they are looking to design an integrated system for mobile devices. To be more specific, I'd guess that they are looking to design a laptop chipset/CPU/GPU that are integrated to improve power management and performance by changing somewhat the roles of CPU and GPU. I expect to see a retail product by ~late 2008. The effect on the industry will be significant although evolutionary. Significant because it will allow AMD/ATI to expand market share in the laptop arena. Evolutionary because I don't expect the power savings to be shocking - although I hope to be proved wrong on this point.

That prediction is far from revolutionary and I admit to copping parts of it from various industry sources. My point is to give you an example of the minimum level of specificity required before you can claim that one of your predictions is meaningful. To extrapolate the above, I expect to see AMD/ATI to apply their new integrated arch to other areas, both in the compact mobile arena and to desktop systems. CPUs and GPUs that use less energy are clearly the way of the future and designers that don't give due emphasis will be looking for work within a decade. I'm hoping that AMD/ATI can do something fantastic that will change high performance systems, such as servers, workstations, 3-D systems, etc., because if they are successful, I expect Intel to bring about other excellent products.
August 1, 2006 6:05:41 PM

Quote:
do u have some horrible forum intel virus that anything about AMD gets FAIL posted?

fail
August 1, 2006 7:02:14 PM

Quote:
Enjoy!

Link.

Just for pope

ActionMan, you broke an AMD fanboy rule.

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
You may cite information ONLY from the following 3 (three) sources:
A) The Inquirer (they have "sources" in the motherboard community)
B) Shakira (Sharikou)
C) Pure speculation and gut feelings (just make it up)
August 1, 2006 7:03:11 PM

Quote:

You're always spankin' yerself all over this forum about how your predictions come true. So lay it out in clear terms. Tell us, OGO, and tell us EXACTLY how the AMD/ATI evolution will unfold. Tell us what products to expect, when to expect them, and most importantly, project the effects these devices will have on the industry. Be specific. I already made a related prediction - that they are looking to design an integrated system for mobile devices. To be more specific, I'd guess that they are looking to design a laptop chipset/CPU/GPU that are integrated to improve power management and performance by changing somewhat the roles of CPU and GPU. I expect to see a retail product by ~late 2008. The effect on the industry will be significant although evolutionary. Significant because it will allow AMD/ATI to expand market share in the laptop arena. Evolutionary because I don't expect the power savings to be shocking - although I hope to be proved wrong on this point.

That prediction is far from revolutionary and I admit to copping parts of it from various industry sources. My point is to give you an example of the minimum level of specificity required before you can claim that one of your predictions is meaningful. To extrapolate the above, I expect to see AMD/ATI to apply their new integrated arch to other areas, both in the compact mobile arena and to desktop systems. CPUs and GPUs that use less energy are clearly the way of the future and designers that don't give due emphasis will be looking for work within a decade. I'm hoping that AMD/ATI can do something fantastic that will change high performance systems, such as servers, workstations, 3-D systems, etc., because if they are successful, I expect Intel to bring about other excellent products.

OK, if you insist.

Q406 - deal should close and at least the MorganStanley money will be delivered to ATi board.

Q1 07 - AMD recieves first monthly income from ATi. AMD begins to make space for chipsets in Fab36. ATi division signs new deal with Dell. AMD announces new chipset to ship around Q3 for 16Way K8L.

Q2 07 - AMD starts shipping chipsets for revenue (not IGPs). AMD signs a new deal with HP/Lenovo. AMDs volume shipments jump 30% from the last year. Will likely have > 27% worldwide share. (dependng on volume shipped by Dell) 4x4 is announced to go quad core by end of Q3. AMD gets at least 2 months of ATi profits.

Q307 - AMD announces first Torrenza part, probably a mocked up x1600 as a PPU. Aegia signs on for Torrenza and gets 20X the processing power in a smaller package. Lawsuit comes to a head. (no comment) Sun announces second Torrenza part (K8L is needed for native recognition), probably Java accelerator. Socket merge with Sparc and Opteron about to be released. ALL AMD chips get L3.

Q407 - ATi announces modular GPU with virtualization (expected to serve at least 10 1280x1024 desktops under VM). ATi announces new FireGL with Torrenza support. Several more coProcs are released for scientific and visualization apps. AMD has 32% share.

Q108 - AMD releases first complete modular system in prep for Raiden.

Q208 - AMD remains around 32-40% forever.

Q308 - AMD intros HW threads. "New Gen" core reported to have 8 cores and 2 threads per core @ 45nm. Desktops get quad K8L and Bulldozer moves to midrange desktop. 8 core FX announced.

Cautionary statement:

This is just for fun. It may be right it may not be. Feel free to comment.
August 1, 2006 7:05:31 PM

Quote:

OK, if you insist.

Q406 - deal should close and at least the MorganStanley money will be delivered to ATi board.

Q1 07 - AMD recieves first monthly income from ATi. AMD begins to make space for chipsets in Fab36. ATi division signs new deal with Dell. AMD announces new chipset to ship around Q3 for 16Way K8L.

Q2 07 - AMD starts shipping chipsets for revenue (not IGPs). AMD signs a new deal with HP/Lenovo. AMDs volume shipments jump 30% from the last year. Will likely have > 27% worldwide share. (dependng on volume shipped by Dell) 4x4 is announced to go quad core by end of Q3. AMD gets at least 2 months of ATi profits.

Q307 - AMD announces first Torrenza part, probably a mocked up x1600 as a PPU. Aegia signs on for Torrenza and gets 20X the processing power in a smaller package. Lawsuit comes to a head. (no comment) Sun announces second Torrenza part (K8L is needed for native recognition), probably Java accelerator. Socket merge with Sparc and Opteron about to be released. ALL AMD chips get L3.

Q407 - ATi announces modular GPU with virtualization (expected to serve at least 10 1280x1024 desktops under VM). ATi announces new FireGL with Torrenza support. Several more coProcs are released for scientific and visualization apps. AMD has 32% share.

Q108 - AMD releases first complete modular system in prep for Raiden.

Q208 - AMD remains around 32-40% forever.

Q308 - AMD intros HW threads. "New Gen" core reported to have 8 cores and 2 threads per core @ 45nm. Desktops get quad K8L and Bulldozer moves to midrange desktop. 8 core FX announced.

Cautionary statement:

This is just for fun. It may be right it may not be. Feel free to comment.

Fail. i killed raiden in MGS2
August 1, 2006 7:05:48 PM

Baron Matrix choose option C.

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)
August 1, 2006 7:08:48 PM

Quote:

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

hmmm good example
August 1, 2006 7:19:52 PM

Quote:

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

he asked for a prediction. If you can't find signs of everything I said you are deluded. I based that on Anlayst Day info and what AMDs immediate necessity is. Not to mention what is coming out of Taiwan. Digitimes baby.

So I guess the fanboy label is reserved for you. This is just fun whle I design great stuff.

Didn't you read the cautionary statement? I torks he same for companies. They can't really see into the future but can make plans or predict trends. hey maybe I should work the Market some more.

If any of it comes true you have to coit my dog.
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2006 7:21:42 PM

:lol:  lmao
August 1, 2006 7:23:04 PM

Quote:

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

he asked for a prediction. If you can't find signs of everything I said you are deluded. I based that on Anlayst Day info and what AMDs immediate necessity is. Not to mention what is coming out of Taiwan. Digitimes baby.

So I guess the fanboy label is reserved for you. This is just fun whle I design great stuff.

Didn't you read the cautionary statement? I torks he same for companies. They can't really see into the future but can make plans or predict trends. hey maybe I should work the Market some more.

Its not coming out of taiwan... dumbass... if your not in the country how would you know? i live in taiwan and no one ist talking about AMD now, all about core 2 duo
August 1, 2006 7:26:14 PM

Quote:

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

hmmm good example

Oh my god, alert the media. That was almost a coherent sentence. I can do one for Intel but unless I say they run AMD out of busines you would have a problem with it.
August 1, 2006 7:30:58 PM

Quote:

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

hmmm good example

dont worry baronBS AMD still has their army of fanboys. you once again FAIL

Oh my god, alert the media. That was almost a coherent sentence. I can do one for Intel but unless I say they run AMD out of busines you would have a problem with it.
August 1, 2006 8:05:34 PM

Quote:

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

Its not coming out of taiwan... dumbass... if your not in the country how would you know? i live in taiwan and no one ist talking about AMD now, all about core 2 duo

Ok I get it, you work for Quanta or Mitac assembling PCs. No, obviously you work for TSMC or UMC assembling GPUs.

No? Digitimes employee? No? Hmmm.

Then I guess you're just an a-hole who can only call names rather than speak respectfully and offer an opinion.
August 1, 2006 8:07:56 PM

Quote:

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

Ok I get it, you work for Quanta or Mitac assembling PCs. No, obviously you work for TSMC or UMC assembling GPUs.

Then I guess you're just an a-hole who can only call names rather than speak respectfully and offer an opinion.

How are you so sure its comming out of taiwan? everything comming out of taiwan right now is core 2 duo
August 1, 2006 9:10:51 PM

Quote:

NEDM

Yes!
August 1, 2006 9:29:25 PM

Quote:

When have you ever said that?
August 1, 2006 9:34:13 PM

Quote:

Thats funny because I thought you predicted trends and were 'very rarely wrong' so much for that BS.
August 1, 2006 9:35:07 PM

Quote:
He'll have to push you out of the way. Ewwwwwwww....Sloppy seconds from BM....on his mutt. YUK. :o 
August 2, 2006 1:37:29 AM

Quote:

Here:

Quote:
K8MAN wrote:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33320
Now dont take this as anything other than a rumour but it would make sense if the demand for A64's is not as high as they expect. Another article there mentions that AMD gained some more market share at Intel's expense though so the demand is still there.

Anywayz off to work(2nd last day at Hell ) so look forward to rampant speculation and good conversation with good friends

They will probably start doing Fire GL or high end CrossFire but they would be fools to take high margin CPU space for low margin GPUs.

I expect that ASAP they will be makign chipsets in house, but TSMC has no worries. Retooling a FAB for GPUs would be cost-prohibitive right now and wouldn't birng any return on investment.

It maybe that this is a smoke screen to take attention away from server chipsets. AMD needs that more than a mobile chipset, though a mobile chipset would be good since Intel destroyed the desktop market pricing.

I for one almost bought a Turion X2 laptop a few weeks ago.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/ATI-producing-G...

And here:

Quote:
K8MAN wrote:
I'll say it again AMD and ATI are going to work together to turn the ATI's R600 technology into a general purpose processing monster by the 2008-2011 timeframe to compete with the same type of technology which Intel and Sun are developing. Massively parrallel with relatively simple cores but massive processing power. CPU's like this will cure cancer.

No, this is about glueless chipsets in house for K8L. They could work with ATi if it was about GPUs.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/AMDs-plan-Gluel...
August 2, 2006 2:27:00 AM

I just gotta ask......who cares? AMD drew a line in the sand, get on one side or the other and quit hissing at the other side like you're in a cat fight. Do you guys always beat a dead horse to make yourself feel like you know something? Intel's won for the moment, AMD's acknowledged it by pricing their cpu's like they were paper cups. Even with the ATI hinderance AMD might come up with better chip again. Just seems like a waste of bandwidth to keep hashin this over and over and over and over and over and over and over. But if that's all that's goin on in your life I guess.
August 2, 2006 3:10:20 AM

From your own link and your own quote.

Quote:
They will probably start doing Fire GL or high end CrossFire
August 2, 2006 3:12:11 AM

And what does this have to do with anything?
August 2, 2006 3:15:09 AM

Good question and I have no idea.
August 2, 2006 3:36:45 AM

Doggone it! 3 avatars in one day (or was it 2 days?)! That may be a record. This one is the best.
August 2, 2006 3:44:20 AM

Quote:

Here:

Quote:
K8MAN wrote:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33320
Now dont take this as anything other than a rumour but it would make sense if the demand for A64's is not as high as they expect. Another article there mentions that AMD gained some more market share at Intel's expense though so the demand is still there.

Anywayz off to work(2nd last day at Hell ) so look forward to rampant speculation and good conversation with good friends

They will probably start doing Fire GL or high end CrossFire but they would be fools to take high margin CPU space for low margin GPUs.

I expect that ASAP they will be makign chipsets in house, but TSMC has no worries. Retooling a FAB for GPUs would be cost-prohibitive right now and wouldn't birng any return on investment.

It maybe that this is a smoke screen to take attention away from server chipsets. AMD needs that more than a mobile chipset, though a mobile chipset would be good since Intel destroyed the desktop market pricing.

I for one almost bought a Turion X2 laptop a few weeks ago.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/ATI-producing-G...

And here:

Quote:
K8MAN wrote:
I'll say it again AMD and ATI are going to work together to turn the ATI's R600 technology into a general purpose processing monster by the 2008-2011 timeframe to compete with the same type of technology which Intel and Sun are developing. Massively parrallel with relatively simple cores but massive processing power. CPU's like this will cure cancer.

No, this is about glueless chipsets in house for K8L. They could work with ATi if it was about GPUs.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/AMDs-plan-Gluel...

wtf glue... FAIL
August 2, 2006 3:44:30 AM

This was the one I wanted but I couldn't find the right picture (I was pretty drunk too) until SidVicious came up with this one for me.
August 2, 2006 4:15:01 AM

Quote:
This was the one I wanted but I couldn't find the right picture (I was pretty drunk too) until SidVicious came up with this one for me.

Just keep the cat, BM doesn't like cats.

One of our cats recently got eaten by a coyote. Bummer, he was a cool Manx with attitude.
August 2, 2006 4:45:03 AM

Quote:
One of our cats recently got eaten by a coyote. Bummer, he was a cool Manx with attitude.

This is very sad.... :cry: 

Indeed. He was a house cat but knew how to sneak out and prowl. I knew something was up because our dogs started growling at 4 a.m. By the time I got downstairs and out into the back yard, it was too late. The hard part was telling our son that he was gone. He had selected the Manx because they have a reputation for getting along well with dogs - and he did. Coyotes don't extrapolate into that equation too well though...

Sorry for dragging this off topic.
August 2, 2006 4:52:23 AM

Quote:

This is very sad.... :cry: 

Indeed. He was a house cat but knew how to sneak out and prowl. I knew something was up because our dogs started growling at 4 a.m. By the time I got downstairs and out into the back yard, it was too late. The hard part was telling our son that he was gone. He had selected the Manx because they have a reputation for getting along well with dogs - and he did. Coyotes don't extrapolate into that equation too well though...

Sorry for dragging this off topic.

This is even sadder --- it is heartbreaking to lose a pet as they often become sarogate members of the family, it is even worse to break the news to your child.... man, this is sombering.

No need to worry about breaking the topic down -- it has run it's coarse. My sympathies....

Jack

this is depressing. *recounts all the dead dogs he's gone through in his life. 4 come to mind*
August 2, 2006 5:33:02 AM

Quote:

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

So where is it that you work again?
August 2, 2006 5:49:43 AM

Quote:

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

So where is it that you work again?Pick a company, any company. :p 
a c 99 à CPUs
August 2, 2006 1:27:31 PM

Your avatar made me shoot Pepsi out my nose...ha ha ha ha!!!
August 2, 2006 1:43:33 PM

Quote:
Your avatar made me shoot Pepsi out my nose...ha ha ha ha!!!

Scary thing is: That beard wasn't photoshopped on it's REAL! I think it was for that movie I never saw: Passion of the Christ.

Mel Gibson:

Mel Gibson?:
a c 99 à CPUs
August 2, 2006 1:52:40 PM

Yeah, I never saw that movie either- it was the comment that was hilarious, not the beard. He doesn't quite look like Saddam, but apparently they share some of the same views :evil: 
a c 99 à CPUs
August 2, 2006 1:54:49 PM

So he works at QuickTrip?
August 2, 2006 2:23:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I never saw that movie either- it was the comment that was hilarious, not the beard. He doesn't quite look like Saddam, but apparently they share some of the same views :evil: 

Mel directed the Passion - I wasn't aware that he acted in it. The shirt doesn't seem to fit either. Shares views with Saddam? That's a stretch.
August 2, 2006 2:29:44 PM

Quote:
Mel directed the Passion - I wasn't aware that he acted in it.

Didn't he play Jesus? Or was that just his ego filling the role?

Wow, we sure got off topic. Let's get back on it:

AMD SUX. INTEL IS TEH PWNZER!
INTEL SUX. BENCHMARKS R HAX!1!
August 2, 2006 2:37:58 PM

Quote:

Wow, we sure got off topic. Let's get back on it:

AMD SUX. INTEL IS TEH PWNZER!
INTEL SUX. BENCHMARKS R HAX!1!

mel gibson fails
August 2, 2006 2:42:16 PM

Quote:

James Caviezel played Christ. The standard joke is that Mel played God.
August 2, 2006 2:55:29 PM

Quote:

So where is it that you work again?

You first.
!