AMD Puts Arms Around ATI: Questions Answered

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Enjoy!

Link.

Just for pope

X-bit labs: Is there a plan to use AMD’s fabs to produce ATI’s GPUs and if there are such intentions, where do you plan to produce those chips? In Germany, or in New York?

Tom McCoy: We do not plan at this time to use AMD capacity to fabricate ATI GPUs.

X-bit labs: Is it a possibility in the long-term future?

Tom McCoy: In the long-term future the time will tell. But our strategy is to take advantage of the capability that ATI has working with the foundry partners that are best in the world. We do not intend to disrupt that strategy.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Enjoy!

Link.

Just for pope

X-bit labs: Is there a plan to use AMD’s fabs to produce ATI’s GPUs and if there are such intentions, where do you plan to produce those chips? In Germany, or in New York?

Tom McCoy: We do not plan at this time to use AMD capacity to fabricate ATI GPUs.

Tom McCoy: In the long-term future the time will tell. But our strategy is to take advantage of the capability that ATI has working with the foundry partners that are best in the world. We do not intend to disrupt that strategy.

But, but... but... Mr. Action_Man, I read it in the Inquirer.... how can this be?

ROTFL! :lol: :lol: :lol: OH MAn! Jack Your a killer :p

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Enjoy!

Link.

Just for pope

But, but... but... Mr. Action_Man, I read it in the Inquirer.... how can this be?

Obviously, the Enq has the facts. These AMD/ATI bigwigs are just throwing up a smokescreen to confuzzle Intel.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
I sure would like to know what the AMD/ATI strategy is going to be. I guess we will find out sometime in 2008 when they supposedly will start joint development.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Enjoy!

Link.

Just for pope

My only question is now do people believe me that AMD will NOT be making GPUs ANYTIME SOON?

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Enjoy!

Link.

Just for pope

My only question is now do people believe me that AMD will NOT be making GPUs ANYTIME SOON?

Fail

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
172434814644d016de114cf.jpg

NEDM

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

You're always spankin' yerself all over this forum about how your predictions come true. So lay it out in clear terms. Tell us, OGO, and tell us EXACTLY how the AMD/ATI evolution will unfold. Tell us what products to expect, when to expect them, and most importantly, project the effects these devices will have on the industry. Be specific. I already made a related prediction - that they are looking to design an integrated system for mobile devices. To be more specific, I'd guess that they are looking to design a laptop chipset/CPU/GPU that are integrated to improve power management and performance by changing somewhat the roles of CPU and GPU. I expect to see a retail product by ~late 2008. The effect on the industry will be significant although evolutionary. Significant because it will allow AMD/ATI to expand market share in the laptop arena. Evolutionary because I don't expect the power savings to be shocking - although I hope to be proved wrong on this point.

That prediction is far from revolutionary and I admit to copping parts of it from various industry sources. My point is to give you an example of the minimum level of specificity required before you can claim that one of your predictions is meaningful. To extrapolate the above, I expect to see AMD/ATI to apply their new integrated arch to other areas, both in the compact mobile arena and to desktop systems. CPUs and GPUs that use less energy are clearly the way of the future and designers that don't give due emphasis will be looking for work within a decade. I'm hoping that AMD/ATI can do something fantastic that will change high performance systems, such as servers, workstations, 3-D systems, etc., because if they are successful, I expect Intel to bring about other excellent products.

Enjoy!

Link.

Just for pope

ActionMan, you broke an AMD fanboy rule.

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
You may cite information ONLY from the following 3 (three) sources:
A) The Inquirer (they have "sources" in the motherboard community)
B) Shakira (Sharikou)
C) Pure speculation and gut feelings (just make it up)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

You're always spankin' yerself all over this forum about how your predictions come true. So lay it out in clear terms. Tell us, OGO, and tell us EXACTLY how the AMD/ATI evolution will unfold. Tell us what products to expect, when to expect them, and most importantly, project the effects these devices will have on the industry. Be specific. I already made a related prediction - that they are looking to design an integrated system for mobile devices. To be more specific, I'd guess that they are looking to design a laptop chipset/CPU/GPU that are integrated to improve power management and performance by changing somewhat the roles of CPU and GPU. I expect to see a retail product by ~late 2008. The effect on the industry will be significant although evolutionary. Significant because it will allow AMD/ATI to expand market share in the laptop arena. Evolutionary because I don't expect the power savings to be shocking - although I hope to be proved wrong on this point.

That prediction is far from revolutionary and I admit to copping parts of it from various industry sources. My point is to give you an example of the minimum level of specificity required before you can claim that one of your predictions is meaningful. To extrapolate the above, I expect to see AMD/ATI to apply their new integrated arch to other areas, both in the compact mobile arena and to desktop systems. CPUs and GPUs that use less energy are clearly the way of the future and designers that don't give due emphasis will be looking for work within a decade. I'm hoping that AMD/ATI can do something fantastic that will change high performance systems, such as servers, workstations, 3-D systems, etc., because if they are successful, I expect Intel to bring about other excellent products.

OK, if you insist.

Q406 - deal should close and at least the MorganStanley money will be delivered to ATi board.

Q1 07 - AMD recieves first monthly income from ATi. AMD begins to make space for chipsets in Fab36. ATi division signs new deal with Dell. AMD announces new chipset to ship around Q3 for 16Way K8L.

Q2 07 - AMD starts shipping chipsets for revenue (not IGPs). AMD signs a new deal with HP/Lenovo. AMDs volume shipments jump 30% from the last year. Will likely have > 27% worldwide share. (dependng on volume shipped by Dell) 4x4 is announced to go quad core by end of Q3. AMD gets at least 2 months of ATi profits.

Q307 - AMD announces first Torrenza part, probably a mocked up x1600 as a PPU. Aegia signs on for Torrenza and gets 20X the processing power in a smaller package. Lawsuit comes to a head. (no comment) Sun announces second Torrenza part (K8L is needed for native recognition), probably Java accelerator. Socket merge with Sparc and Opteron about to be released. ALL AMD chips get L3.

Q407 - ATi announces modular GPU with virtualization (expected to serve at least 10 1280x1024 desktops under VM). ATi announces new FireGL with Torrenza support. Several more coProcs are released for scientific and visualization apps. AMD has 32% share.

Q108 - AMD releases first complete modular system in prep for Raiden.

Q208 - AMD remains around 32-40% forever.

Q308 - AMD intros HW threads. "New Gen" core reported to have 8 cores and 2 threads per core @ 45nm. Desktops get quad K8L and Bulldozer moves to midrange desktop. 8 core FX announced.

Cautionary statement:

This is just for fun. It may be right it may not be. Feel free to comment.

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

OK, if you insist.

Q406 - deal should close and at least the MorganStanley money will be delivered to ATi board.

Q1 07 - AMD recieves first monthly income from ATi. AMD begins to make space for chipsets in Fab36. ATi division signs new deal with Dell. AMD announces new chipset to ship around Q3 for 16Way K8L.

Q2 07 - AMD starts shipping chipsets for revenue (not IGPs). AMD signs a new deal with HP/Lenovo. AMDs volume shipments jump 30% from the last year. Will likely have > 27% worldwide share. (dependng on volume shipped by Dell) 4x4 is announced to go quad core by end of Q3. AMD gets at least 2 months of ATi profits.

Q307 - AMD announces first Torrenza part, probably a mocked up x1600 as a PPU. Aegia signs on for Torrenza and gets 20X the processing power in a smaller package. Lawsuit comes to a head. (no comment) Sun announces second Torrenza part (K8L is needed for native recognition), probably Java accelerator. Socket merge with Sparc and Opteron about to be released. ALL AMD chips get L3.

Q407 - ATi announces modular GPU with virtualization (expected to serve at least 10 1280x1024 desktops under VM). ATi announces new FireGL with Torrenza support. Several more coProcs are released for scientific and visualization apps. AMD has 32% share.

Q108 - AMD releases first complete modular system in prep for Raiden.

Q208 - AMD remains around 32-40% forever.

Q308 - AMD intros HW threads. "New Gen" core reported to have 8 cores and 2 threads per core @ 45nm. Desktops get quad K8L and Bulldozer moves to midrange desktop. 8 core FX announced.

Cautionary statement:

This is just for fun. It may be right it may not be. Feel free to comment.

Fail. i killed raiden in MGS2

Baron Matrix choose option C.

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

hmmm good example

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

he asked for a prediction. If you can't find signs of everything I said you are deluded. I based that on Anlayst Day info and what AMDs immediate necessity is. Not to mention what is coming out of Taiwan. Digitimes baby.

So I guess the fanboy label is reserved for you. This is just fun whle I design great stuff.

Didn't you read the cautionary statement? I torks he same for companies. They can't really see into the future but can make plans or predict trends. hey maybe I should work the Market some more.

If any of it comes true you have to coit my dog.

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

he asked for a prediction. If you can't find signs of everything I said you are deluded. I based that on Anlayst Day info and what AMDs immediate necessity is. Not to mention what is coming out of Taiwan. Digitimes baby.

So I guess the fanboy label is reserved for you. This is just fun whle I design great stuff.

Didn't you read the cautionary statement? I torks he same for companies. They can't really see into the future but can make plans or predict trends. hey maybe I should work the Market some more.

Its not coming out of taiwan... dumbass... if your not in the country how would you know? i live in taiwan and no one ist talking about AMD now, all about core 2 duo

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

hmmm good example

Oh my god, alert the media. That was almost a coherent sentence. I can do one for Intel but unless I say they run AMD out of busines you would have a problem with it.

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

hmmm good example

dont worry baronBS AMD still has their army of fanboys. you once again FAIL

Oh my god, alert the media. That was almost a coherent sentence. I can do one for Intel but unless I say they run AMD out of busines you would have a problem with it.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

Its not coming out of taiwan... dumbass... if your not in the country how would you know? i live in taiwan and no one ist talking about AMD now, all about core 2 duo

Ok I get it, you work for Quanta or Mitac assembling PCs. No, obviously you work for TSMC or UMC assembling GPUs.

No? Digitimes employee? No? Hmmm.

Then I guess you're just an a-hole who can only call names rather than speak respectfully and offer an opinion.

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

AMD Fanboy Rule #1:
B) Shakira (Sharikou)

Ok I get it, you work for Quanta or Mitac assembling PCs. No, obviously you work for TSMC or UMC assembling GPUs.

No? Digitimes employee? No? Hmmm.

Then I guess you're just an a-hole who can only call names rather than speak respectfully and offer an opinion.

How are you so sure its comming out of taiwan? everything comming out of taiwan right now is core 2 duo