FPS display.

Last response: in Video Games
November 5, 2004 9:07:20 PM

Can you show your frame rate on screen?

More about : fps display

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 10:44:19 PM

Angof wrote:
> Can you show your frame rate on screen?

Yes. Open the Morrowind.ini file with a text editor and change

Show FPS=0

Show FPS=1

Peter
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 11:03:54 PM

Peter Strempel wrote:
> Angof wrote:
>> Can you show your frame rate on screen?
>
> Yes. Open the Morrowind.ini file with a text editor and change
>
> Show FPS=0

> Show FPS=1
>

> Peter

Cheers Peter.
November 6, 2004 1:16:32 AM

> Yes. Open the Morrowind.ini file with a text editor and change
>
> Show FPS=0

> Show FPS=1

Hmm. Could this in any way help with predicting when a random crash to
Windows will occur? It would help to see it coming so you can save and not
lose much when it crashes. (Some people said they can tell when the HD
starts spinning up, but I seem to have an unusually quiet HD, so that
doesn't work for me.)
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 11:22:25 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> Hmm. Could this in any way help with predicting when a random crash to
> Windows will occur?

Probably not, but you can give it a try. In my case, I also hear the HD
spinning when lots of memory is swapped, which *often* indicates a
crash. But sometimes the game continues fine even when swapping heavily,
and sometimes it just crashes without any previous swapping. The crashes
are extremely unpredictable. When it's swapping, crashes usually but not
always occur when changing cells.

The latest "addition" I got to crashes was when switching weapons using
the number hotkeys. That was the perfect occasion to reinstall Morrowind
and start a new char. ;( Guess at some point I should just uninstall it,
not reinstall. But well, you know....

Peter
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 1:26:56 PM

To help avoid problems makd sure that your FPS is lower than the refresh
rate of your monitor. I have mine set on 75Mhz and therefore have the FPS
set to 70. If I remember correctly the initial setting is 240 FPS of which
is way to high for most users and causes a latency problem.

---
November 6, 2004 5:26:30 PM

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:16:32 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> Yes. Open the Morrowind.ini file with a text editor and change
>>
>> Show FPS=0

>> Show FPS=1
>
>Hmm. Could this in any way help with predicting when a random crash to
>Windows will occur? It would help to see it coming so you can save and not
>lose much when it crashes. (Some people said they can tell when the HD
>starts spinning up, but I seem to have an unusually quiet HD, so that
>doesn't work for me.)

I don't know about FPS, but when it starts to take longer than usual to
go through a door or look in my inventory, that's the time to save, quit
and restart. I have noticed that the act of changing your clothes can
sometimes cause a crash, presumably because the change of models
requires extra memory.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 3:20:50 AM

In article <2v3celF2eau57U1@uni-berlin.de>, did peterstrempel@yahoo.com
really say...
> Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>
> > Hmm. Could this in any way help with predicting when a random crash to
> > Windows will occur?
>
> Probably not, but you can give it a try. In my case, I also hear the HD
> spinning when lots of memory is swapped, which *often* indicates a
> crash. But sometimes the game continues fine even when swapping heavily,
> and sometimes it just crashes without any previous swapping. The crashes
> are extremely unpredictable. When it's swapping, crashes usually but not
> always occur when changing cells.
>
> The latest "addition" I got to crashes was when switching weapons using
> the number hotkeys. That was the perfect occasion to reinstall Morrowind
> and start a new char. ;( Guess at some point I should just uninstall it,
> not reinstall. But well, you know....
>

> Peter

Using number hotkeys is also the cause of most of my crashes, totally
without warning. But the number of crashes has substantially reduced
since I stopped overclocking my CPU and graphics card, and limited the
frame rate to 60. You could probably limit it to 30 without your eyes
being able to tell the difference anyway....

--
MinMin
Anonymous

> Using number hotkeys is also the cause of most of my crashes, totally
> without warning. But the number of crashes has substantially reduced
> since I stopped overclocking my CPU and graphics card, and limited the
> frame rate to 60. You could probably limit it to 30 without your eyes
> being able to tell the difference anyway....

How exactly do you adjust the framerate? Anything more than 30 is pretty
much redundant anyhow, and if it'll make the game more stable, I'm all for
it...
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 3:20:52 AM

> How exactly do you adjust the framerate?

Edit Morrowind.ini in a text editor. Right on the top of the file there
is a line like

Max FPS=60

60 was edited by me. I think the default is 240. As another poster
already pointed out, it makes little sense to have a higher framerate
than your monitor synch frequency, which is 75Hz in my case. Consult
your monitor documentation for this value.
Besides, what monster hardware would be required for a framerate of 240
fps? :)

Another edit in Morrowind.ini which _seems_ to make the game more stable
on my box is a bit further below:

Interior Cell Buffer=8
Exterior Cell Buffer=16

This keeps less cells in memory than the default values. I am not sure
if this is just wishful thinking on my side or a real effect on
stability. Less cells means less memory usage and less swapping, but
also more often cell reloads which seems to be one trigger for crashes.
Feel free to experiment. :)

You can edit a hell of options in this ini file. Especially finetuning
Light can result in better framerates on the cost of graphics quality or
much improved quality on the cost of framerates. Changing
LightAttenuation to Quadratic improves quality significantly, but you
need a really good videocard for this or you get a slideshow.
This doesn't seem to affect the frequency of crashes, though.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 3:20:53 AM

Peter Strempel wrote:
>> How exactly do you adjust the framerate?
>

> Edit Morrowind.ini in a text editor. Right on the top of the file there
> is a line like
>
> Max FPS=60
>
> 60 was edited by me. I think the default is 240. As another poster
> already pointed out, it makes little sense to have a higher framerate
> than your monitor synch frequency, which is 75Hz in my case. Consult
> your monitor documentation for this value.
> Besides, what monster hardware would be required for a framerate of 240
> fps? :)
>

> Another edit in Morrowind.ini which _seems_ to make the game more stable
> on my box is a bit further below:
>
> Interior Cell Buffer=8
> Exterior Cell Buffer=16
>
> This keeps less cells in memory than the default values. I am not sure
> if this is just wishful thinking on my side or a real effect on
> stability. Less cells means less memory usage and less swapping, but
> also more often cell reloads which seems to be one trigger for crashes.
> Feel free to experiment. :)
>
> You can edit a hell of options in this ini file. Especially finetuning
> Light can result in better framerates on the cost of graphics quality or
> much improved quality on the cost of framerates. Changing
> LightAttenuation to Quadratic improves quality significantly, but you
> need a really good videocard for this or you get a slideshow.
> This doesn't seem to affect the frequency of crashes, though.

Hmmm the default of 240 FPS seems rather coincidental to me, as if I
recall correctly the maximum Refresh Rate, vsync rate...etc..etc.. at
640x480 (Which morrowind supports) is 120 (240/2), as Direct3D drawing
is done first on the Back Buffer before it is is swapped to the front
buffer would it be best having a max of 120 fps if the back buffer
drawing is taken into account because possibly the actual on screen fps
with a Max of 60 would be 30.*

~Cameron

*Of course there is a high possibility I could be COMPLETELY wrong
!