"Activate XP"??? Why??

Hi
I've had XP for 5 weeks and it has run without problems until recently. The
boot-up sequence now stops at a new window which says that XP has to be
activated. Then when I say OK, it says it's already activated and loads the
log-on screen. If I click my logo to log on, the machine logs off and
closes down.
What should I do?
Is there a "Safe Mode" in XP to let me try correct things.
Thanks
AT
1 answer Last reply
More about activate

    Hi,

    Yes, there is a Safe mode. You can access it by hitting F8 at the point
    where the initial power-on ends and Windows begins to load. This will get
    you the boot menu where you can select it. Once in, try this:

    Start/run regsvr32 regwizc.dll
    Then start/run regsvr32 licdll.dll

    If this doesn't help try these steps: Start/run regedit. Expand to and
    delete the following keys:

    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers

    Exit the registry editor, restart normally.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "RustyT" <arwyn.talbot@NTLWORLD.COM> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I've had XP for 5 weeks and it has run without problems until recently.
    > The boot-up sequence now stops at a new window which says that XP has to
    > be activated. Then when I say OK, it says it's already activated and
    > loads the log-on screen. If I click my logo to log on, the machine logs
    > off and closes down.
    > What should I do?
    > Is there a "Safe Mode" in XP to let me try correct things.
    > Thanks
    > AT

Microsoft Windows XP