Microsoft Shifting to Annual Updates with "Windows Blue"

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

then they are gonna release red, and yellow. Gotta catch them all.

Not surprising given that they want to compete in the mobile/tablet space and frequent updates/upgrades those markets have. Also deems quite similar to the way Apple does OSX.
Guess we're gonna be stuck with windows 8 for quite a while on desktop. Its livable but still don't like it as much as when I moved form XP to 7

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I liked my Windows ecosystem the way it was. I love Windows 7. And I am really hating my Windows 8 installed on a second PC (I have to learn how to use it for work!). I am feeling extremely let down by Microsoft's desire to follow in Apple's steps.. Yearly incremental OS upgrades? Take away our Start Menu by force, make things harder to get to? Microsoft is betraying it's loyal desktop userbase just so it can promote it's future (OS) in the tablet and smartphone landscape. I used to confidently defend the virtues of Windows over OS-X , but now I am ashamed of Microsoft.. Yes, Windows 7 is still as good as it was and I can happily use it for the next 5 years or more.. but it's hard to argue in favour of Microsoft based on their older OS when the current direction they are taking us looks really bad. I don't care how good Windows 8 is underneath, the User Interface (aesthetically and ease of use) is equally important! I wholeheartedly hope Windows8 fails miserably.. so that Microsoft will be forced to see their mistakes, like they did with Vista (but sadly, they seem to have very short memory).

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Microsoft, don't fix what ain't broke. I see all sorts of future segmentation problems being caused by this plan. I also don't see why they expect me to pay for something I already can get for free from Google and Apple. Some really bizarre thinking is going on at Microsoft no doubt spurred by Apple's insane profits.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Those updating from a pirated copy will see their apps and the Windows Store itself case functioning.

>>case functioning

nice proofread as usual, Kevin.

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Good thing I stayed off Windows 8. News like this leads me to believe Microsoft and PC hardware manufacturers are actively trying to mimic Apple's business model and kill off open platforms. I will stick with my x86 Windows 7 gaming computer until the bitter end.

G

do not give 1/10 of a Rat's shiny red A$$, about that App Store Metro/Modern windows 8, M$ SpamBot ads in the tiles and apps, pile of steaming terds! I will be on windows 7 and Linux! M$ closed ecosystem land grab on third party OEM hardware will end up in the same courts that the internet browser lawsuits did! Blue or any other color, if it includes Metro/Modern then it is just M$ crap!

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Windows Blue? I don't know about that, but I know alot of Win 8 users who are singing the "Windows Blues"!

See what I did there :lol:

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Updates should be security, and "feature" updates/additions to keep the OS alive and interesting.

When you buy a upgrade OS(like going from Vista to 7 for example), it should be a platform upgrade where there is a radical change in the code base, in order to justify the upgrade. Like for better performance, compatibility, etc etc... not the other way around >_>

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
MS is just about dead to me. I'll hold off on my final judgment for about one more year to see if they can redeem themselves somehow.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
MS will be ruining Windows 8 as much as possible. Next year prepare to lose the icons. Year after, MS will take the desktop away, to have the perfect metro experience. When Windows 9 gets released, MS will bring all our favorite features back to make it the most successful OS ever!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Why is MS after Apple's model? A three year gap between operating systems still made sense, at least there was some incentive to upgrade. I mean sure, updating WP8 yearly makes sense, but the desktop always followed a different model...

hannibal

Distinguished
Does it allso means that soon MS has to support many more OS versions than today? I am guite sure that normal user will not buy OS upgrade every year, becausse they don't need them, so in 20 years there will be at least 20 different MS-PC os versions at the same time in the market... That would be interesting... Well propably most programs will run in most of those versions...

saldriass

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
i realy dont know if wndows blue will bring some thing new or not..but i hope it can be better then windows 8 i just found some thing about it in this site maybe u wil like to see it :http://www.windowsbleu.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.