Script to change logon user of windows service

Hello,
I have few Windows services running under windows 2000. These services
run under a specific logon user.

I need to create a script
a)To stop these services.
b)Change the userid and password of the domain user under which the
service is running
c)Start the service again

I have several services running under different users. I dont want to
change them manually thru control panel.Instead I want to write a
batch file or a script to do this.
I'm not sure which windows objects to use for this purpose.
If someone could direct me links to these objects that would be great.
I'm looking at writing either a vbscript(.vbs) or some batch files.

Thanks,
Mahesha
1 answer Last reply
More about script change logon user windows service

    On 12 Aug 2004 19:06:10 -0700, ycmahesh@hotmail.com (Mahesha) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I have few Windows services running under windows 2000. These services
    >run under a specific logon user.
    >
    >I need to create a script
    >a)To stop these services.
    >b)Change the userid and password of the domain user under which the
    >service is running
    >c)Start the service again
    >
    >I have several services running under different users. I dont want to
    >change them manually thru control panel.Instead I want to write a
    >batch file or a script to do this.
    >I'm not sure which windows objects to use for this purpose.
    >If someone could direct me links to these objects that would be great.
    >I'm looking at writing either a vbscript(.vbs) or some batch files.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Mahesha

    Use SC from the resource kit:

    C:\>sc stop
    Sends a STOP control request to a service.
    USAGE:
    sc <server> stop [service name]

    C:\>sc start
    Starts a service running.
    USAGE:
    sc <server> start [service name] <arg1> <arg2> ...

    C:\>sc config
    Modifies a service entry in the registry and Service Database.
    SYNTAX:
    sc <server> config [service name] <option1> <option2>...
    CONFIG OPTIONS:
    NOTE: The option name includes the equal sign.
    type= <own|share|interact|kernel|filesys|rec|adapt>
    start= <boot|system|auto|demand|disabled>
    error= <normal|severe|critical|ignore>
    binPath= <BinaryPathName>
    group= <LoadOrderGroup>
    tag= <yes|no>
    depend= <Dependencies(separated by / (forward slash))>
    obj= <AccountName|ObjectName>
    DisplayName= <display name>
    password= <password>

    Jerold Schulman