Problem with new Core2Duo build.

Z00

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I can't get my new build to post. When I try to power it up the power supply starts up for a second then the cpu fan trys to start and then the whole thing shuts down. It then keeps on trying to restart itself over and over.

Right now I have the mobo on a piece of cardboard with only the cpu/hsf, RAM and PSU conncted.

I tried using a different PSU, but it still did the same thing.

Gigabyte DS3
Intel E6400
Antec 500w Smartpower PSU
OCZ Gold 667 pc25400

Any ideas?

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Sounds like a short. Check your motherboard stand-offs. And your connections of course. To eliminate every other problem quickly, remove the mobo from the case, remove everything including the video card and RAM, and see if you can get normal error post beeps (if you can reach the internal speaker!) Then add the RAM and check the beep codes, then the video card.

When you are connected to power, most mobos have a led that is permanently on to show you are connected to power. Is that staying solid before you power up?

If it's the RAM then set the RAM timings manually using some other RAM. Often the SPD doesn't take. But it sure sounds like a short.

Z00

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I tried starting it without the RAM and the same thing happened. I don't see an LED on the mobo either.

Unfortunately, I don't have any parts I can swap in to troubleshoot.

crimson117

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I can't get my new build to post. When I try to power it up the power supply starts up for a second then the cpu fan trys to start and then the whole thing shuts down. It then keeps on trying to restart itself over and over.

Right now I have the mobo on a piece of cardboard with only the cpu/hsf, RAM and PSU conncted.

I tried using a different PSU, but it still did the same thing.

Gigabyte DS3
Intel E6400
Antec 500w Smartpower PSU
OCZ Gold 667 pc25400

Any ideas?

I'm having nearly the same problem! The "starts, then goes off, then comes back on" issue is happeing to me too. Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
ASUS EN7300LE/HTD/128M Geforce 7300LE 128MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card (also tried old PCI video card, no help)
2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
Antec NSK 4400 ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Have you had any luck so far? I will try taking my motherboard out of the case - but where should I put it to be safe while testing it out of the case? On top of the anti-static bag it came in?

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I tried starting it without the RAM and the same thing happened. I don't see an LED on the mobo either.

If you dont see a LED coming from the motherboard, its probably shot most likely. And like you said, you couldnt switch anything up to find the problem. My guess is the motherboard, i doubt its the powersupply. If the fans on the PSU spin, its fine.

crimson117

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

If you dont see a LED coming from the motherboard, its probably shot most likely. And like you said, you couldnt switch anything up to find the problem. My guess is the motherboard, i doubt its the powersupply. If the fans on the PSU spin, its fine.
Not sure the DS3 has an LED on it: http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-128-012-04.JPG

Z00

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I meant I didn't see any LED on the motherboard, not that I didn't see it light up.

Strange that we are all having the same problem. Either we are all doing the same thing wrong or we all are using the same faulty component.

I had my motherboard set up on a piece of cardboard, the bag it came in should work just fine.

I wasn't able to figure anything out, I decided to return the motherboard and I ordered a ASUS P5B.

Hopefully that will solve the problem.

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Set the RAM timings manually with that cheap RAM and try the G.Skill again...But it could just be incompatible.

I stick with Corsair since every motherboard manufacturer makes sure the #1 brand works with their mobos...Sux, but what are you going to do?

Some people swear by Gigabyte...Hell...Asus is still better than most with all the problems.

crimson117

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I couldn't get some OCZ ddr ram to work in my Asus A8V mobo, then corsair worked just fine. So I don't hold it against gigabyte or g.skill; I'm just gonna move along to a stable configuration.

Z00

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Hopefully the OCZ will work with the P5B.

Well, it looks like it doesn't. Everything powers up, but I don't get any beeps and it won't post. If I take out the RAM I get beeps.