Sign in with
Your question

The AMD/Intel battle heats up....

Last response: in CPUs
August 1, 2006 5:13:22 PM

As temperatures soar in Lower Manhattan, two new ads are making the rounds on the Captivate "elevator news" network.

The first is a quaint Core 2 ad stating it's the "fastest overall processor" while AMDs ad says that you should "Choose smarter."
The ads started appearing yesterday along with the latest AMD billboard heralding the space-heating capabilities of the majority of Intel's current product lines.

So for all those who say there aren't any AMD ads, there are, they just promote them where IT people are, which is not watching television.

More about : amd intel battle heats

August 1, 2006 5:14:23 PM

Quote:
As temperatures soar in Lower Manhattan, two new ads are making the rounds on the Captivate "elevator news" network.

The first is a quaint Core 2 ad stating it's the "fastest overall processor" while AMDs ad says that you should "Choose smarter."
The ads started appearing yesterday along with the latest AMD billboard heralding the space-heating capabilities of the majority of Intel's current product lines.

So for all those who say there aren't any AMD ads, there are, they just promote them where IT people are, which is not watching television.

Fail
August 1, 2006 5:21:17 PM

Fire the phasers!
Related resources
August 1, 2006 5:22:16 PM

Quote:

???

Yeah, I mean who wants to penetrate the market with brand awareness?
August 1, 2006 5:32:24 PM

Quote:

???

I am an IT person and I have not seen an Intel commercial in years. I don't watch mindless network TV. (I hate commercials)

By placing ads where people who may make buying decisions work, you will be better off. When I'm at home the last thing I want to see is a COMMERCIAL for a processor.

You'd be surprised at how many ads for AMD servers are plastered around lower Manhattan. Maybe I'll take a picture.
August 1, 2006 5:34:03 PM

Quote:

???

I am an IT person and I have not seen an Intel commercial in years. I don't watch mindless network TV. (I hate commercials)

By placing ads where people who may make buying decisions work, you will be better off. When I'm at home the last thing I want to see is a COMMERCIAL for a processor.

You'd be surprised at how many ads for AMD servers are plastered around lower Manhattan. Maybe I'll take a picture.

Fail
August 1, 2006 5:44:31 PM

Quote:

Intels marketing is one of their big assets. That's ridiculus to think that AMD wouldn't appreciate more brand awareness and presence. I've seen a ton of Intel commercials lately. I'm sure you've seen them too. The newest ones feature(strangly enough) Jay-Z and at the end you get the big Core Duo splash screen. My girlfriend loves her MySpace account and just yesterday there was a big Core 2 Duo banner ad on the logon page. You're claiming that by advertising to strictly the IT crowd, they're better off. Don't you think the IT crowd is very aware of AMD, more so than any other market segment?
August 1, 2006 6:07:51 PM

Adverstising battle?

I thought that maybe AMD showed a working 4X4 or a working 65nm CPU, but advertising battle?

So, AMD puts thier ad on a bus terminal and intel puts their's on a bus terminal across the street, and that's what this topic is about?

It would be more of a battle of AMD popped up with their 65nm CPU, running apps side by side with current AMDs and intel's C2D, and it shows performance leads.

Like you said, you hate commericals, but you post about ads. Uh, huh.

Oh and on a side note, the IT people I know do watch TV, like most people. They all aren't sitting in a room reading IT magazines and fondling blade servers.
August 1, 2006 6:08:11 PM

Quote:

Kind of hard to watch TV when you spend every waking hour on this forum, eh? If you do actually have a job, you must have the worst productivity ever.

Quote:

Probably because it would be an intel commercial. If AMD ran commercials, you would prolly record them and play them back over and over again.

Quote:

Why don't you do that? It would at least get you out in the sun for a bit.
August 1, 2006 6:17:52 PM

I like my space heater. Saves on gas in the winter time... it's no Prescott, but does do a little good... LOL

I think I just dissed my own system. That can't be right.
August 1, 2006 6:20:19 PM

Quote:
I like my space heater. Saves on gas in the winter time... it's no Prescott, but does do a little good... LOL

I think I just dissed my own system. That can't be right.

It's okay. I have 3 space heaters in one room, and if I actually do run all three at the same time, my A/C unit kicks on to start cooling my entire house.
August 1, 2006 6:25:23 PM

Cyborg, could you at least respond to the thread, rather than just saying fail? I've read like 3 threads in which you've done that. Its like half the people on this forum aim to turn the threads into irrelevant name calling.

As for ads, I see very few ads for either intel or AMD, but that makes sense because I don't watch a ton of TV other than sports, and I don't live in a huge city.
August 1, 2006 6:45:57 PM

Quote:
Cyborg, could you at least respond to the thread, rather than just saying fail? I've read like 3 threads in which you've done that. Its like half the people on this forum aim to turn the threads into irrelevant name calling.

As for ads, I see very few ads for either intel or AMD, but that makes sense because I don't watch a ton of TV other than sports, and I don't live in a huge city.

AMD doesnt make ads coz theyre too poor to make it, the general public doesnt know much about AMD since the marketing department isnt doing a good job now is it
August 1, 2006 6:50:47 PM

Quote:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  baronBS = Fail

I am starting to notice a direct correlation between AMD fanboys and failures.
August 1, 2006 6:55:32 PM

Quote:

you have learned a lot from observing my post young one
August 1, 2006 8:12:17 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'll take a picture.

Please do! :D 
August 1, 2006 8:31:30 PM

Quote:

nah..
there is no direct correlation between normal AMD fanboys and failures.

but there is a direct correlation between sharikou's edition of AMD fanboys and failures.
August 1, 2006 8:35:23 PM

Quote:
I don't watch mindless network TV. (I hate commercials)
That's because of your dislexia. You can't follow, and keep up with the fast pace of tv. You might, just might be able to keep up with reruns of "Leave It To Beaver". :?
August 1, 2006 8:58:06 PM

Quote:

nah..
there is no direct correlation between normal AMD fanboys and failures.

but there is a direct correlation between sharikou's edition of AMD fanboys and failures.

sharikous edition of AMD fanboys does = failure. but normal ones who like AMD not just because its "AMD" but because they like it and admits that conroe kicks ass
August 1, 2006 9:40:35 PM

Quote:
That's because of your dislexia. You can't follow, and keep up with the fast pace of tv. You might, just might be able to keep up with reruns of "Leave It To Beaver". :?

What the hell does dyslexia have to do with watching TV?

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dyslexia/dyslexia.ht...

"What is Dyslexia?
Dyslexia is a brain-based type of learning disability that specifically impairs a person's ability to read. These individuals typically read at levels significantly lower than expected despite having normal intelligence. Although the disorder varies from person to person, common characteristics among people with dyslexia are difficulty with phonological processing (the manipulation of sounds) and/or rapid visual-verbal responding. "

Get your shiz right!
August 1, 2006 9:51:45 PM

I saw an intel ad in the paper before. I might make a topic about it! :roll:
August 1, 2006 10:06:30 PM

Quote:

"What is Dyslexia?
Dyslexia is a brain-based type of learning disability that specifically impairs a person's ability to read. These individuals typically read at levels significantly lower than expected despite having normal intelligence. Although the disorder varies from person to person, common characteristics among people with dyslexia are difficulty with phonological processing (the manipulation of sounds) and/or rapid visual-verbal responding. "

Get your shiz right!Sounds like tv to me...Do people talk on tv?

Go fight some other cause. :roll:
August 2, 2006 1:00:52 AM

Quote:

"What is Dyslexia?

Get your shiz right!

Have you noticed a pattern with these guys? They talk abotu how bad AMD "fanboys" are but they are the fist ones to call names and take the topic away from the original. I was going to report on just the Intel ad but the AMD ad showed up this morning.

I thought it was interesting. I should know I won't get any rational responses, but I think that's why I come here.

A funny thing is that when The Inq reported the latest Dell laptop mishap, they remarked that Toms reader aren't as sharp as theirs.
August 2, 2006 1:11:26 AM

Quote:

[sarcasm]No No,, The ads make perfect sence.

AMD: "dont buy a 2006 Ford Mustang because the 1908 Ford Model T has no power. Buy a 1997 Chevy Cavalier instead"[/sarcasm]

Peace
August 2, 2006 1:46:31 AM

Quote:
[sarcasm]No No,, The ads make perfect sence.

AMD: "dont buy a 2006 Ford Mustang because the 1908 Ford Model T has no power. Buy a 1997 Chevy Cavalier instead"[/sarcasm]

Peace

Very good analogy!
August 2, 2006 3:06:44 AM

Quote:
Have you noticed a pattern with these guys? They talk abotu how bad AMD "fanboys" are but they are the fist ones to call names and take the topic away from the original.

Maybe because the topic is crap and a high percentage get locked. :wink:
August 2, 2006 11:16:28 AM

Is this just another thread to drop subtle messages trying to impress people with your job? I like how you are now mentioning Manhatten, that adds a new depth to the "Mystique".
August 2, 2006 11:55:08 AM

Quote:
Is this just another thread to drop subtle messages trying to impress people with your job? I like how you are now mentioning Manhatten, that adds a new depth to the "Mystique".

No this was the first time I've seen an AMD and an Intel commercial in the same hour. It was even on this elevator TV. Like I said it was interesting. If you don't like the topic, don't respond.
August 2, 2006 12:02:16 PM

Quote:

No this was the first time I've seen an AMD and an Intel commercial in the same hour. It was even on this elevator TV. Like I said it was interesting. If you don't like the topic, don't respond.

fail
August 2, 2006 12:26:50 PM

personally i agree with the Tomshardware TG article:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/28/amds_response_to_conr...

Intel has had 2years to do something about AMD and they had to drop to 65nm die and a 4mb L2 cache to do it... while AMD processors is using 90nm and 2mb L2cache AMD isnt to far behind, sure intel did score higher in benchmarks but everyone will agree it wasnt like it was by leaps and bounds that intel did it by. it was only slightly better in each test. let me drop my AMD so i can have a faster 30fps or 10sec encoding time... amd has been reliable and consistant in technology. what is intel going to do when AMD drops down to 65nm die and 4mb L2 cache? by then they will take the lead again from intel. plus with ATI technology under AMD's belt who knows what the next console GPU will be. if you didnt know Playstation used ATI GPU and Xbox used Nvidia. AMD like intel now has the ability to make chipsets & CPUs not to mention GPUs which intel hasnt stepped into. hmmm can we say 4x4 GPU/CPU. with 4 cores who said all the cores has to be the same. one of tomshardware articales did mention that they would like to see more GPU multimedia instructions into the CPUs. intergration will be the next stepping stone and AMD has already collected the stones.

i still have my faith into AMD, so what the intel produced a processor that finally after 2 years was able to barely out do AMD. the only real thing that makes the core2 duo exciting is they dropped the prices of CPUs.
August 2, 2006 12:27:45 PM

Quote:

fail

Do you have anything better to add than 'fail'? Seems like you just want to up your post count. Post-count whore!!

On another note, I wish my building's elevators had TV!! I guess the state doesn't give a shiz about making a little money where it can.
August 2, 2006 12:29:59 PM

Quote:

Intel has had 2years to do something about AMD and they had to drop to 65nm die and a 4mb L2 cache to do it... while AMD processors is using 90nm and 2mb L2cache AMD isnt to far behind, sure intel did score higher in benchmarks but everyone will agree it wasnt like it was by leaps and bounds that intel did it by. it was only slightly better in each test. let me drop my AMD so i can have a faster 30fps or 10sec encoding time... amd has been reliable and consistant in technology. what is intel going to do when AMD drops down to 65nm die and 4mb L2 cache? by then they will take the lead again from intel. plus with ATI technology under AMD's belt who knows what the next console GPU will be. if you didnt know Playstation used ATI GPU and Xbox used Nvidia. AMD like intel now has the ability to make chipsets & CPUs not to mention GPUs which intel hasnt stepped into. hmmm can we say 4x4 GPU/CPU. with 4 cores who said all the cores has to be the same. one of tomshardware articales did mention that they would like to see more GPU multimedia instructions into the CPUs. intergration will be the next stepping stone and AMD has already collected the stones.

i still have my faith into AMD, so what the intel produced a processor that finally after 2 years was able to barely out do AMD. the only real thing that makes the core2 duo exciting is they dropped the prices of CPUs.
It's not barely outdoing AMD. It's beating AMD by more than K8 beat P4 by, when everyone was gung-ho and horny about K8. :roll:
August 2, 2006 12:30:10 PM

There are CPU company adds?! I've never seen one except on this glorious internet. :lol: 
August 2, 2006 12:31:04 PM

Quote:

fail

Do you have anything better to add than 'fail'? Seems like you just want to up your post count. Post-count whore!!

Fail. post counts are for kids... why would i need post counts... doesnt increase my penis size
August 2, 2006 12:36:15 PM

Quote:
There are CPU company adds?! I've never seen one except on this glorious internet. :lol: 

You never saw those "blue man group" Intel advertisments with the blue guys running around making music while one of them pleasures a large pole?

August 2, 2006 12:44:17 PM

Quote:

You never saw those "blue man group" Intel advertisments with the blue guys running around making music while one of them pleasures a large pole?

i miss those blue guys :p 
August 2, 2006 12:52:17 PM

Quote:

It's not barely outdoing AMD. It's beating AMD by more than K8 beat P4 by, when everyone was gung-ho and horny about K8. :roll:

by todays standards how much is a few more FPS, or encode time? if we are looking at difference of 150fps and 180fps but the naked eye can only see difference in 30-60 fps who cares if 10 or even 30 more fps. AMD still isnt that far behind intel even with the 90nm and 2mb L2 cache. what is intel going to do now with AMD/ATI and 4x4 coming out soon? i am hearing more about 4x4 then core2 duo. also when amd moves over to 65nm and 4mb L2 cache what is intel going to do? it took alot for intel to beat amd in fact a whole new die size and more L2 cache. the real hype of core2 duo is that intel released it at a very low price. what would be amazing is if intel can produce the same scores with 90nm and 2mb L2 cache, now that would have been amazing thing to do. but they couldnt do it. but AMD is still showing hey 90nm is still not dead yet look at what i can do with it.
August 2, 2006 12:57:29 PM

Ok I know I am also an AMD fan but even I think Baron Matrix gets a little bit carried away. I can't afford to buy any of the top 4 CPU's and if the price is right wil still by an AMD CPU (That is Price versus performance) But everone who is objective must say the new Conroe chip is the King and according to all the bench marks and tests deserves to be.
:(  :( 
August 2, 2006 1:02:57 PM

Quote:
Ok I know I am also an AMD fan but even I think Baron Matrix gets a little bit carried away. I can't afford to buy any of the top 4 CPU's and if the price is right wil still by an AMD CPU (That is Price versus performance) But everone who is objective must say the new Conroe chip is the King and according to all the bench marks and tests deserves to be.
:(  :( 

Very well put. Anyone who is objectively building a new system would logically use Core 2 Duo (Conroe). The only reason not to would be if you were upgrading an existing system.

In my case I will buy a new S939 proc and go to SLI in less than a year or so.
August 2, 2006 1:05:40 PM

I have to disagree with Toms article, at least in regard to the first successful AMD CPU was the K5, ok not in sales figures but the AMD 386 40DX CPU was much better than the then Intel 386 33Mhz CPU. If my memory serves me correct the AMD CPU was fully 32 bit whereas the Intel CPU was half 32 half 16bit. Memory is a little bit hazy on details. It was a long time ago :lol: 
August 2, 2006 1:12:51 PM

I have another reason in building an AMD system, (again based on price, I'm not going to build an AMD system if the price is to high) The shop were I work pushes Intel ever since I started work there and even when AMD was better. Bosses brother is Intel fanboy. I build and design Intel systems all the time, the only way I can properly be fully versed in both CPU and system designs is to build an AMD system my Self.
To be a genuine computer tech is to try to know as much as possible about both AMD and INTEL. :wink:
August 2, 2006 1:19:16 PM

I've got the opposite problem. All my system building experience is with AMD, not Intel. As a result I am not very familiar with Intel sockets and pre-Core 2 Duo processor model numbers.

I purchase a ton of Dell systems at my workplace each year (~100), but I couldn't care less what socket they use because I know I'll never upgrade the processors on them.

All my system building experience I got at home doing 3 different AMD rigs.
August 2, 2006 1:28:10 PM

Putting aside my liking of AMD, probebly due to my Aussie upbringing (Always support the underdog) All pc's I,ve owned whether it be AMD or Intel has always done the job for me at the time I've owned them.
Can't ask for anything more 8)
August 2, 2006 2:12:15 PM

I must say, I am a little towards Intel but many times have seriously considered AMD due to the price/performance before Core 2. In fact my next system was to be an AMD X2 on an AM2 socket, but then intel had to release Core 2 and change my plans. So really, go with what works for the money you can throw at it. Who cares about the name?
August 2, 2006 2:17:40 PM

Bonza Mate 8)
August 2, 2006 2:21:39 PM

Quote:

fail

Fail. post counts are for kids... why would i need post counts... doesnt increase my penis size

Action_man Is this your alternate Taiwan Based ID? Because this seems exactly like you back when you started here<<< With the One liner Posts. Remember

"Get a New keyboard" Hmm. am i right?
then was cut to "New Keyboard"
then at last went to "Keyboard"
then finally Just a pictures of a Keyboard.
August 2, 2006 2:42:54 PM

Quote:

fail

Action_man Is this your alternate Taiwan Based ID? Because this seems exactly like you back when you started here<<< With the One liner Posts. Remember

"Get a New keyboard" Hmm. am i right?
then was cut to "New Keyboard"
then at last went to "Keyboard"
then finally Just a pictures of a Keyboard.

Fail, and you thought i was action_man... lol...
August 2, 2006 3:47:09 PM

On Socket 3, AMD produced 486 DX4-120, Intel DX2-66.
On Socket 7, AMD produced K6 400MHz, Intel Pentium 233 MMX
Fast forward, AMD produced the fastest and coolest chip on 90 nm. Not bad for a company 1/10th the size of its competitor.
Topping it, AMD did not recall procs with FDIV bugs, forced out a 1.13 GHz cpu, experimented on IA-64 and Netburst technology.
Though it's more of a wishful thinking, there's a valid point that AMD's shift to 65 nm may produce wonders. They may be one step behind but they produce better products technology-level wise.
August 2, 2006 4:00:21 PM

Quote:

"What is Dyslexia?

Get your shiz right!

Have you noticed a pattern with these guys? They talk abotu how bad AMD "fanboys" are but they are the fist ones to call names and take the topic away from the original. I was going to report on just the Intel ad but the AMD ad showed up this morning.

I thought it was interesting. I should know I won't get any rational responses, but I think that's why I come here.

A funny thing is that when The Inq reported the latest Dell laptop mishap, they remarked that Toms reader aren't as sharp as theirs.

Yes, since Dell has let AMD into their product lines, the battery decided to commit suicide.
!