The role owner attribute could not be read

The error message stated in the subject line occurs whenever I attempt to
either add an attribute to my active directory schema or add an attribute to
a class. I have researched the error message at the MSDN. It is mapped to
another error message: "8366 error_ds_invalid_role_owner". There is no
further explanations or suggestions to point me to where the problem resides.

This is a Windows 2000 Advanced Server with SP4 domain. This domain resides
in our development lab. We're trying to integrate a workflow COTS package
that requires some schema mods to complete the integration.

I am logged in with SchemaAdmin rights, I have set the registry setting to
allow write access to the schema. And the "allow the schema to be updated on
this server" option is checked.

Had the same problem on my test domain set-up.

Now I have been doing quite a lot of DR work on this domain and have
carried out Role transfers, Role Seizures etc in this domain in the
past.

Today, when I tried to modify the Schema I had the same problem, and
tried all the usual diags (DCDIAG FsmoCheck and KnowsOfRoleHolders,
NTDSUTIL, checking DNS Entries etc) and all passed OK.

Out of interest, I then tried to perform a Schema Master Role Transfer
To the DC it is already Sitting on and got a similar error (don't know
if this is normal?)

Anyhow, Since I know that this role had been at one stage siezed from
another crashed DC which I've since re-built and re-promoted, I
wondered if there may be still some references to the old role-holder
lurking deep in the mysterious depths of AD somewhere.

So, I went into NTDSUTIL and did a METADATA CLEANUP to remove the 'old'
Role-holder DC (a bit brutal I know) - and that seems to have cured the
problem.

Now, I'm happy to do this in my test domain, but I'd be reluctant to
take such a drastic step in a production environment - however it may
provide some clues as to what has caused the problem in the first
place.

Incidentally - I didn't even Try DCPROMO'ing the 'old' role-holder back
down - that may have cured the issue too, and would obviously be a much
cleaner solution.

--
tynymynydd