Should I turn my Canon Pixma printer off or leave it on 24..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 3, 2005 7:21:18 PM

I have read both and I'm not sure. The owner's manual says nothing.
Does it have an idle timer to know when it's idle and seal the ink
cartridges? Or do I have to turn it off to do this?
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 7:42:49 PM

<newsbirdie2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have read both and I'm not sure. The owner's manual says nothing.
> Does it have an idle timer to know when it's idle and seal the ink
> cartridges? Or do I have to turn it off to do this?

No Pixmas here but I've got an i560, i860 and i950 and they're all left on
24/7. Every single Canon I've ever owned has been operated the same way.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

Cari wrote:

><newsbirdie2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>I have read both and I'm not sure. The owner's manual says nothing.
>>Does it have an idle timer to know when it's idle and seal the ink
>>cartridges? Or do I have to turn it off to do this?
>>

>No Pixmas here but I've got an i560, i860 and i950 and they're all left on
>24/7. Every single Canon I've ever owned has been operated the same way.

All my printers 24/7 operate on a network.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 4:13:42 AM

Thanks for the confirmation. This is logical, but then again if the
head isn't "parked" or sealed, it would use more ink which is a big
business for Canon. It's the conspiracy theory. A review on Amazon
said to always turn it off, so I wanted to make sure.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:53:50 AM

It doesn't matter one way or the other. The head is automatically parked
anytime the printer is idle. My preference is to use the auto power off
function from the maintenance tab with the timer set to 30 minutes.
--
Ron

<newsbirdie2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have read both and I'm not sure. The owner's manual says nothing.
> Does it have an idle timer to know when it's idle and seal the ink
> cartridges? Or do I have to turn it off to do this?

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:55:37 AM

All of your Canon printers - which is only one.
--
Ron

> Cari wrote:

<snipped>

> All my printers 24/7 operate on a network.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 6:07:34 AM

I said all of my printers not all of my Canon printers. Do not be a hot
shot.

Ron Cohen wrote:

>All of your Canon printers - which is only one.

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 9:23:50 AM

And how many would that be?
--
Ron

>I said all of my printers not all of my Canon printers. Do not be a hot
>shot.
> Ron Cohen wrote:
>
>>All of your Canon printers - which is only one.

June 20, 2011 9:22:31 PM

it absolutely does matter with the pixma ip3000/ip4000/ip5000 series. i dont know about their other printers, but i still use these models as they dont use chipped ink.

from what i can tell, leaving the printer prevents clogged pintheads by keeping the ink warm at the head. im not sure if that theory is true or not, but it does work. case in point- i just moved. i had my canon ip4000 working PERFECTLY with the printhead nozzle check patterns for 2 years. i never had a clog and i used cheap inks too. i always left that printer on because in the past i had problems with the printheads and saw suggestions online to try leaving the machine on.

so for 2 years it was perfect, and then it went to the new place. it sat on my desk for 2 months before i turned it back on (extension cords were scarce). guess what? its completely fucked. only the yellow prints, and the large black tank was completely gone from printouts.

i ran hot water over the printhead for a few min, and it brought it mostly back, but the nozzle check patterns still show gaps. and the blue color has now disappeared again. im afraid i might have to buy a new printhead!

i also have an ip3000 in storage for 2 months too, and i dont even want to pull it out now because i know what i will see. that only has 4 ink tanks though, without a pigment ink so its usually a little more rugged.
!