German Government Asks Users to Boycott Google

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd describe what the German government said about Google to be slander and a lie about what Google said, but that's me. Google disagreeing with them over a law being made to screw with Google should be a given. If anything ,they probably could have resolved any issue by talking with Google about this privately until they had a greater need to go public. It's not fair to users nor Google to just throw something like that out there IMO. I'd say the same about Microsoft if they did this to Bing, especially since both are not trying to falsify search results AFAIK.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
OK..sooooo since Google has most of the search market world wide Mrs. Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger thinks that it's hurting German publishers to have their work easily accessible across the planet...I'm just not getting the logic behind this. I mean, Google isn't giving away entire books or chapters or even paragraphs for that matter...What folks would do for a Deutsche Mark...

I hardly belive ive ever seen google do something i disagree with. I mean, most companies fak you in the ass ( excuse my language ) every single day, while google most of the time just gives you a poke in the arm.

Its hard to really be on the side of govermnets that "allowed" the world to become such a mess.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]john15v16[/nom]OK..sooooo since Google has most of the search market world wide Mrs. Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger thinks that it's hurting German publishers to have their work easily accessible across the planet...I'm just not getting the logic behind this. I mean, Google isn't giving away entire books or chapters or even paragraphs for that matter...What folks would do for a Deutsche Mark...[/citation]

how much of a news article do you need to read to get the big picture? they think that the first like to paragraph is enough, and because of that think people wont click the link to their site.

i get it, but i think its VERY stupid.

[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]I hardly belive ive ever seen google do something i disagree with. I mean, most companies (sanction avoidance removed word) you in the (sanction avoidance removed word) ( excuse my language ) every single day, while google most of the time just gives you a poke in the arm.Its hard to really be on the side of govermnets that "allowed" the world to become such a mess.[/citation]

there are legitimate complaints about google... but most of the major ones are so stupid...
oh no, a robot saw a word in my email, and gave me an ad that goes along with that word, how dare they.
but fact is, all those emails are already going through them

oh no, they track my web habits, OH NO
and i say so what? again its all about the ads, and making more money off targeted ads its not invasive, and its hardly wrong. tell me this is a major issue once dumpster diving a hospital/doctors office for social security numbers is no longer a thing.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Google should just boycott Germany (and France that also have a similar proposal), then the government would see how their voters would react.
No need for google to waste their time on idiotic countries where they give companies the ability to reach more people (via search hits) and then have to pay for it, despite that!
If anything it should have been the other way around(if google wasn't ad-supported)!

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Yeah, 'Murica.

G

Don't they have enough of a crisis to bother with other than do such ridiculous stupidities over "search engines?"

Firehead2k

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
How about Tomshardware stops misinterpreting news by giving it grandiose titles.

- The minister in question isn't "[The] German Government"
- A newspaper (who is affected by the proposed legislation) ran with that tweet to generate a headline "Minister indirectly calls for Google boycott"
- The tweet itself is subject to interpretation, and from the context I would interpret it as "not only google is affected by this law, other search engines are aswell", since it contains a link to a short governmental FAQ that adresses some of those issues.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Firehead, so 2 headlines are abused just while talking about this and yet this minister thinks that cutting what we see down to a headline is a good idea... LOL.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
So much for all that talk of America should be more like Europe. With all that is going on over their I think they might have some slightly bigger issues to worry about. I know I lived in Germany for quite a number of years and traveled all over. Europe's great, till you have to deal with anything their governments have a hand in. I imagine its like that all over (never been to the East). Grass is always greener syndrome I guess.

shocky_19

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
You know Germany as well as all of Europe should really get their own houses in order first before they go around telling their people what they should be doing. Really, boycott Google? Over this? Lack of priorities I see here. Can't trust anyone in any government.

besterino

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
To me it's quite simple: As a general rule google should be able to quote for free.

However, if they make any money from or because of the third party content available on their site/services, they should have to pay an adequate share to those who delivered "google's content". The one who does the work should get (at least part of) the monetary benefits (if there are any).

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]shocky_19[/nom]You know Germany as well as all of Europe should really get their own houses in order first before they go around telling their people what they should be doing. Really, boycott Google? Over this? Lack of priorities I see here. Can't trust anyone in any government.[/citation]

I'm not in the government (lying).

The military is government. Or is it? It's funny cuz my oath talks about tyrannical government as well. Part of my job is loyalty to the public and to keep an eye on Uncle Sam. I think politicians forget this.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Google is just trying to protect their asses and revenues, they don't care how this would affect users. People realize that and refuse to ride their monopolistic bandwagon and boycot.

G

Problem is google is making a lot of money and they are no paying any taxes to anybody ,google in not playing fair in that regard.

f-14

Distinguished
because germans hate the french, google should make a point to redirect all german traffic to a competitor french version with a redirect note citing this being done due to german government with a small picture of chancellor hitler next to it for fun.

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
[citation][nom]frank_drebin[/nom]what's "perfid"?[/citation]

It's a word that can be looked up in less time than it takes to post a question asking what it means. ;-P

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Well, German bureaucrats /and the publishers, let's not forget them/ are idiots too, I mean it's not reserved for others only. Actually their IP related law and practice consistently shows being one of the weirdest.

Status
Not open for further replies.