How to remove services created by "instsrv" from restoolsk..

Hi,

I have installed the restoolskit on my win2k3 server corp. ed. Just for
curioscity, I successfully created a service entry for "Spam Inspector
Service" using instsrv from the restoolskit, i.e. instsrv "Spam Inspector"
"C:\Program Files\Spam Inspector\siservice.exe". However, when I tried to
start the service, I got the following error messages:

Could not start the Spam Inspector service on Local Computer
Error 1053: The service did not respind to the start or control request
in a timely fashion.

Knowing the service does not work, I tried to remove it to noavail, i.e.
instsrv "Spam Inspector" remove, and got the following error messages:

d:\nt\sdktools\reskit\content\instsrv\source\instsrv.c: Error 1783 from
EnumServicesStatus on line 184

I wondered if anyone out here can help me out to remove this service entry
created using instsrv from the restoolskit package. Thanks.

--
Mazi

ME

registry
HKLM\software\system\currentcontrolset\services

"!SpamMe" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have installed the restoolskit on my win2k3 server corp. ed. Just for
> curioscity, I successfully created a service entry for "Spam Inspector
> Service" using instsrv from the restoolskit, i.e. instsrv "Spam Inspector"
> "C:\Program Files\Spam Inspector\siservice.exe". However, when I tried to
> start the service, I got the following error messages:
>
> Could not start the Spam Inspector service on Local Computer
> Error 1053: The service did not respind to the start or control request
> in a timely fashion.
>
> Knowing the service does not work, I tried to remove it to noavail, i.e.
> instsrv "Spam Inspector" remove, and got the following error messages:
>
> d:\nt\sdktools\reskit\content\instsrv\source\instsrv.c: Error 1783 from
> EnumServicesStatus on line 184
>
> I wondered if anyone out here can help me out to remove this service entry
> created using instsrv from the restoolskit package. Thanks.
>
> --
> Mazi

There is no HKLM\software\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam Inspector
registry on my win2k3 svr; however, there is
HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam Inspector registry. Can I just
remove that "Spam Inspector" registry?

"me" <me@work.net> wrote in message
> registry
> HKLM\software\system\currentcontrolset\services
>
> "!SpamMe" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have installed the restoolskit on my win2k3 server corp. ed. Just for
> > curioscity, I successfully created a service entry for "Spam Inspector
> > Service" using instsrv from the restoolskit, i.e. instsrv "Spam
Inspector"
> > "C:\Program Files\Spam Inspector\siservice.exe". However, when I tried
> > start the service, I got the following error messages:
> >
> > Could not start the Spam Inspector service on Local Computer
> > Error 1053: The service did not respind to the start or control
request
> > in a timely fashion.
> >
> > Knowing the service does not work, I tried to remove it to noavail, i.e.
> > instsrv "Spam Inspector" remove, and got the following error messages:
> >
> > d:\nt\sdktools\reskit\content\instsrv\source\instsrv.c: Error 1783
from
> > EnumServicesStatus on line 184
> >
> > I wondered if anyone out here can help me out to remove this service
entry
> > created using instsrv from the restoolskit package. Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Mazi

Hi,

There is a GUI tool "srvinstw.exe" in Win 2000 resource
kit. You may try it.

Krishna

Hi,

Thank you for posting!

I think you'd better to export the registry key
HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam Inspector to an REG file and
then remove it. After that, restart your computer to see if the service
will start and any error message will occur.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "!SpamMe" <a@b.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
| Subject: Re: How to remove services created by "instsrv" from restoolskit?
| Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:24:23 GMT
|
| There is no HKLM\software\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam Inspector
| registry on my win2k3 svr; however, there is
| HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam Inspector registry. Can I just
| remove that "Spam Inspector" registry?
|

| "me" <me@work.net> wrote in message
| > registry
| > HKLM\software\system\currentcontrolset\services
| >
| > "!SpamMe" <a@b.com> wrote in message
| > > Hi,
| > >
| > > I have installed the restoolskit on my win2k3 server corp. ed. Just
for
| > > curioscity, I successfully created a service entry for "Spam Inspector
| > > Service" using instsrv from the restoolskit, i.e. instsrv "Spam
| Inspector"
| > > "C:\Program Files\Spam Inspector\siservice.exe". However, when I tried
| > > start the service, I got the following error messages:
| > >
| > > Could not start the Spam Inspector service on Local Computer
| > > Error 1053: The service did not respind to the start or control
| request
| > > in a timely fashion.
| > >
| > > Knowing the service does not work, I tried to remove it to noavail,
i.e.
| > > instsrv "Spam Inspector" remove, and got the following error messages:
| > >
| > > d:\nt\sdktools\reskit\content\instsrv\source\instsrv.c: Error 1783
| from
| > > EnumServicesStatus on line 184
| > >
| > > I wondered if anyone out here can help me out to remove this service
| entry
| > > created using instsrv from the restoolskit package. Thanks.
| > >
| > > --
| > > Mazi

ME

i would

> There is no HKLM\software\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam Inspector
> registry on my win2k3 svr; however, there is
> HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam Inspector registry. Can I just
> remove that "Spam Inspector" registry?
>

> "me" <me@work.net> wrote in message
>> registry
>> HKLM\software\system\currentcontrolset\services
>>
>> "!SpamMe" <a@b.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have installed the restoolskit on my win2k3 server corp. ed. Just for
>> > curioscity, I successfully created a service entry for "Spam Inspector
>> > Service" using instsrv from the restoolskit, i.e. instsrv "Spam
> Inspector"
>> > "C:\Program Files\Spam Inspector\siservice.exe". However, when I tried
>> > start the service, I got the following error messages:
>> >
>> > Could not start the Spam Inspector service on Local Computer
>> > Error 1053: The service did not respind to the start or control
> request
>> > in a timely fashion.
>> >
>> > Knowing the service does not work, I tried to remove it to noavail,
>> > i.e.
>> > instsrv "Spam Inspector" remove, and got the following error messages:
>> >
>> > d:\nt\sdktools\reskit\content\instsrv\source\instsrv.c: Error 1783
> from
>> > EnumServicesStatus on line 184
>> >
>> > I wondered if anyone out here can help me out to remove this service
> entry
>> > created using instsrv from the restoolskit package. Thanks.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mazi

I only have the following executable w.r.t "srv" in my restoolskit
directory:

04/18/2003 06:06 PM 8,192 srvany.exe
04/18/2003 06:06 PM 5,120 srvcheck.exe
04/18/2003 06:06 PM 39,936 srvinfo.exe
04/18/2003 06:06 PM 179,200 srvmgr.exe

I tried srvmgr and there was no "delete/remove" services.

> Hi,
>
> There is a GUI tool "srvinstw.exe" in Win 2000 resource
> kit. You may try it.
>
> Krishna

Could you kindly be more elaborate regarding "export the registry key"? I am
clueless here. I just followed one of the responses here to delete the entry
in the registry key, rebooted the computer, and the "Spam Inspector" service
is no longer shown in the services.

Back to my original post that I forgot to ask, why `instsrv "Spam Inspector"
remove' gives the following error:

d:\nt\sdktools\reskit\content\instsrv\source\instsrv.c: Error 1783

Defintely, I don't have
d:\nt\sdktools\reskit\content\instsrv\source\instsrv.c source code on my D:
drive.

--
Mazi

"Feng Mao" <fengmao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for posting!
>
> I think you'd better to export the registry key
> HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam Inspector to an REG file and
> then remove it. After that, restart your computer to see if the service
> will start and any error message will occur.
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

rights.

> --------------------
> | From: "!SpamMe" <a@b.com>
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
> | Subject: Re: How to remove services created by "instsrv" from
restoolskit?
> | Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:24:23 GMT

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!w
> ns13feed!worldnet.att.net!attbi_s01.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
> |
> | There is no HKLM\software\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam
Inspector
> | registry on my win2k3 svr; however, there is
> | HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam Inspector registry. Can I
just
> | remove that "Spam Inspector" registry?
> |

> | "me" <me@work.net> wrote in message
> | > registry
> | > HKLM\software\system\currentcontrolset\services
> | >
> | > "!SpamMe" <a@b.com> wrote in message

> for
Inspector
> | Inspector"

> | request

> i.e.

> | from

> | entry

Hi Mazi,

As you have deleted the registry key, you cannot export it any more. Next
time, you can export the registry key by the below steps.

1. Lauch REGEDIT
2. Navigate to the registry key you want to export. Right click it, and
choose Export from the context menu
3. Specify the location to store the REG file

Regarding the message about
"d:\nt\sdktools\reskit\content\instsrv\source\instsrv.c: Error 1783",
Instsrv is the Windows Installer service which attempts to remove "Spam
Inspector" service, but it encountered unexpected error or it failed to
remove the service.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "!SpamMe" <a@b.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
| Subject: Re: How to remove services created by "instsrv" from restoolskit?
| Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:50:01 GMT
|
| Could you kindly be more elaborate regarding "export the registry key"? I
am
| clueless here. I just followed one of the responses here to delete the
entry
| in the registry key, rebooted the computer, and the "Spam Inspector"
service
| is no longer shown in the services.
|
| Back to my original post that I forgot to ask, why `instsrv "Spam
Inspector"
| remove' gives the following error:
|
| d:\nt\sdktools\reskit\content\instsrv\source\instsrv.c: Error 1783
|
| Defintely, I don't have
| d:\nt\sdktools\reskit\content\instsrv\source\instsrv.c source code on my
D:
| drive.
|
| --
| Mazi
|

| "Feng Mao" <fengmao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Hi,
| >
| > Thank you for posting!
| >
| > I think you'd better to export the registry key
| > HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam Inspector to an REG file and
| > then remove it. After that, restart your computer to see if the service
| > will start and any error message will occur.
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "!SpamMe" <a@b.com>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
| > | Subject: Re: How to remove services created by "instsrv" from
| restoolskit?
| > | Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:24:23 GMT

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!w
| > ns13feed!worldnet.att.net!attbi_s01.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | There is no HKLM\software\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam
| Inspector
| > | registry on my win2k3 svr; however, there is
| > | HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\Spam Inspector registry. Can I
| just
| > | remove that "Spam Inspector" registry?
| > |
| > |
| > | "me" <me@work.net> wrote in message

Just
| > for
| Inspector
| > | Inspector"
| tried

| > | request

| > i.e.
| messages:

| 1783
| > | from

| > | entry

| > |
| > |
| > |

You can use instsrv to remove as well - at the comman prompt type:

intstsrv <Service Name> REMOVE

cheers

Nick