Digitimes reports: Dell AMD systems in September

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
After reports from The Inq that Dell was prepping a full line of AMD desktops and notebooks, news out of Taiwan is that the machines will start to go on sale

NEXT MONTH

with Q4 introing a full line of Sempron, Athlon and Turion X2. itlooks like the saying is true that

If you build the server they will come to the desktop.

The first AMD-based models, which will likely be launched in late October or early November, will be 15.4-inch notebooks manufactured by Quanta Computer for the consumer notebook market, the sources said. Then, Dell will introduce 17-inch AMD-based models at the end of the year, the sources added.

Linkage!

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
After reports from The Inq that Dell was prepping a full line of AMD desktops and notebooks, news out of Taiwan is that the machines will start to go on sale

NEXT MONTH

with Q4 introing a full line of Sempron, Athlon and Turion X2. itlooks like the saying is true that

The first AMD-based models, which will likely be launched in late October or early November, will be 15.4-inch notebooks manufactured by Quanta Computer for the consumer notebook market, the sources said. Then, Dell will introduce 17-inch AMD-based models at the end of the year, the sources added.

Linkage!
Fail

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
BM,

Where the hell did u get September out of that article? The article clearly states Q4 and Oct/Nov.

September isn't even mentioned...

From the article:

The anticipated launch of AMD-based notebooks means that the cooperation between Dell and AMD will cover all the segments in the PC market. In May, Dell already introduced its AMD-based servers, and the company is expected to launch AMD-based desktop PCs in September, the sources indicated.

Au contraire, mon frere.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

NEXT MONTH

Linkage!
Fail

Wow, such an insightful comment. You should be writing for the back of matchbooks.

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

NEXT MONTH

Linkage!
Fail

Wow, such an insightful comment. You should be writing for the back of matchbooks.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Au contraire, mon frere.

ROFL..I don't know where you went to fish this one out but man...Please stop disgracing my native language
Trou duc!!!!

Also it isn't a surprise to anyone that Dell was looking to start selling AMD parts ever since they bought out Alienware...

Robteam70

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Seems like a bad time to start selling AMD desktops or notebooks, now that they are getting spanked by core 2 duos, while running hotter and using more power.

If Dell is going to do this, why wouldn't they have done it 2 or 3 years ago back when AMD had the performance advantage.

Seems like a bad time to start selling AMD desktops or notebooks, now that they are getting spanked by core 2 duos, while running hotter and using more power.

If Dell is going to do this, why wouldn't they have done it 2 or 3 years ago back when AMD had the performance advantage.

I agree 100%. It makes no sense for Dell to offer AMD now as opposed to 2 years ago.

However, in long-term planning it does make sense to diversify your suppliers. Imagine if Intel takes another 3-year vacation and AMD rises to the top again, wouldn't be a problem if Dell offers both companies' products!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Au contraire, mon frere.

ROFL..I don't know where you went to fish this one out but man...Please stop disgracing my native language
Trou duc!!!!

Also it isn't a surprise to anyone that Dell was looking to start selling AMD parts ever since they bought out Alienware...

Mon francais est tres "rusty" I'm sure you chiming in with nothing on topic to say makes Le Francaise appear "merde-filled."

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

I agree 100%. It makes to sense for Dell to offer AMD now as opposed to 2 years ago.

However, in long-term planning it does make sense to diversify your suppliers. Imagine if Intel takes another 3-year vacation and AMD rises to the top again, wouldn't be a problem if Dell offers both companies' products!

Et voila!! Enfin un post qui fait du sens...

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Au contraire, mon frere.

Trou duc!!!!

Mon francais est tres "rusty" I'm sure you chiming in with nothing on topic to say makes Le Francaise appear "merde-filled."

No,you're right i've nothing else to say about your topic except->Woopty-Freaking-doo Dell will sell AMDs..... :roll: I give you credit for trying to respond to me in french..like half point or sometin'... And for the record its "plein de merde" not merde-filled....

Woopty-Freaking-doo Dell will sell AMDs...

Whoa, you're wrong there. Dell selling AMD is a BIG deal, a HUGE deal. We all know that Core 2 Duo is better than Athlon X2. HOWEVER, the person buying the computer that is $300 (after rebate but before shipping) doesn't know that. What if Dell's low-cost machine that all the moron's buy contains an AMD chip? Let's say an Athlon 3200 or Athlon X2 3800 (the 2 core version of the Athlon 3200). Well then AMD will be in major business!

Let's say 18-months from now AMD comes out with K8L and it really competes with Intel, then AMD will already be in Dell's door and will start selling even more!

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

Whoa, you're wrong there. Dell selling AMD is a BIG deal, a HUGE deal. We all know that Core 2 Duo is better than Athlon X2. HOWEVER, the person buying the computer that is $300 (after rebate but before shipping) doesn't know that. What if Dell's low-cost machine that all the moron's buy contains an AMD chip? Let's say an Athlon 3200 or Athlon X2 3800 (the 2 core version of the Athlon 3200). Well then AMD will be in major business!

Let's say 18-months from now AMD comes out with K8L and it really competes with Intel, then AMD will already be in Dell's door and will start selling even more!

word

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

I'm well aware of that, i wasn't trying to undermine the fact that this will be hugely benificial in the long run for AMD, but in fact unless you're the type of person that goes out to buy a new low-end Dell every couple of years, this won't affect you or me in any way.

And as far as high-end goes, well I sure would never buy a high-end pc from any big-brand PC makers even less from Dell... :wink:

I'm well aware of that, i wasn't trying to undermine the fact that this will be hugely benificial in the long run for AMD, but in fact unless you're the type of person that goes out to buy a new low-end Dell every couple of years, this won't affect you or me in any way.

And as far as high-end goes, well I sure would never buy a high-end pc from any big-brand PC makers even less from Dell... :wink:

Well, more computers than not on this earth have a Dell logo on them, so I think it will affect a lot of people. Dell's market share is the largest of any company. Regardless of what you say, it will be huge (for AMD)!

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Looking past the home market where Dell probably isn't making much profit:

This is beneficial to Dell in the short run as small to mid-sized businesses looking to add a few servers, generally keep buying the same chip/memory platform. This will let Dell in the door for businesses that are buying Opterons. If Dell can satisfy these clients with their reliability and support, many will choose Dell when it comes time to upgrade the whole platform. Remember, in alot of small/startup businesses, the entire IT department still consists of just 1 person, and he decides what to buy.

Long term - Large corporations are not going to overhaul their platforms and buy hundreds of servers based on a brand-new cpu/chipset. Unless the upgrade need is dire, larger businesses are going to weigh both the Clovertown and the K8L platforms before taking a plunge. Either way, Dell will offer both.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Well, more computers than not on this earth have a Dell logo on them, so I think it will affect a lot of people. Dell's market share is the largest of any company. Regardless of what you say, it will be huge (for AMD)!

Again, i totally agree with you on that aspect, but what i don't see is where this will benefit the end users which don't buy products from Dell. Also, if we look at this a little bit further, simple demand and supply rule, if like you stated AMD starts selling their products to Dell like they never did before, the prices won't go down in anyway for the parts themselves (for other vendors I mean), only for the product lines they in which are put in (products from Dell), so again where does this benefit us? This is what i was trying to say. I personally am glad to see AMD profit from these kind of ventures, but i'm less happy when in fact, it doesn't benefit the end users that don't use Dell products.

mpjesse

Splendid
BM,

Where the hell did u get September out of that article? The article clearly states Q4 and Oct/Nov.

September isn't even mentioned...

From the article:

The anticipated launch of AMD-based notebooks means that the cooperation between Dell and AMD will cover all the segments in the PC market. In May, Dell already introduced its AMD-based servers, and the company is expected to launch AMD-based desktop PCs in September, the sources indicated.

Au contraire, mon frere.

OK. I see now. I'm blind. Sorry.

Again, i totally agree with you on that aspect, but what i don't see is where this will benefit the end users which don't buy products from Dell. Also, if we look at this a little bit further, simple demand and supply rule, if like you stated AMD starts selling their products to Dell like they never did before, the prices won't go down in anyway for the parts themselves (for other vendors I mean), only for the product lines they in which are put in (products from Dell), so again where does this benefit us? This is what i was trying to say. I personally am glad to see AMD profit from these kind of ventures, but i'm less happy when in fact, it doesn't benefit the end users that don't use Dell products.

1. AMD starts selling CPU's to Dell
2. AMD revenues go up
3. AMD profits go up
4. AMD is able to spend more money on R&D
5. Better/more products for even non-Dell users

However, that would take a long time to come full circle.

I do agree with you, in the short term many enthusiasts do not stand to benefit from the Dell-AMD deal. However, I am in charge of purchasing computers for my company, and Dell usually wins those quotes, so it may affect me at work. But at home, I build my own rigs.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

1. AMD starts selling CPU's to Dell
2. AMD revenues go up
3. AMD profits go up
4. AMD is able to spend more money on R&D
5. Better/more products for even non-Dell users

However, that would take a long time to come full circle.

I do agree with you, in the short term many enthusiasts do not stand to benefit from the Dell-AMD deal. However, I am in charge of purchasing computers for my company, and Dell usually wins those quotes, so it may affect me at work. But at home, I build my own rigs.

Well i must be too short sighted then ;)
Thanks for the polite replies also.
Just out of curiosity what would be a long term timeframe for these benefits to start showing? 12, 24, 36, 48 months?

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Just out of curiosity what would be a long term timeframe for these benefits to start showing? 12, 24, 36, 48 months?

For AMD, as soon as AMD books a sale to Dell. For the enthusiast? Your guess is as good as mine.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Au contraire, mon frere.

Trou duc!!!!

No,you're right i've nothing else to say about your topic except->Woopty-Freaking-doo Dell will sell AMDs..... :roll: I give you credit for trying to respond to me in french..like half point or sometin'... And for the record its "plein de merde" not merde-filled....

I had no idea you spoke French until your silly comment. I was talking to someone else.