Photosmart 7550 won't install under XP

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 3, 2005 7:28:43 PM

I've got an HP Photosmart 7550 and I'm trying to install it on a
brand-new machine running XP. I'm following the instructions on the
driver disk (which might be a mistake) - I'm starting the install with
the printer NOT plugged in to the computer USB port. When I get to the
point in the install where it asks me to plug the printer in to the USB
port I do so, but the install program never sees the printer. Any ideas?
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 7:40:23 PM

"L Mahoney" <dragonlady00@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I've got an HP Photosmart 7550 and I'm trying to install it on a brand-new
> machine running XP. I'm following the instructions on the driver disk
> (which might be a mistake) - I'm starting the install with the printer NOT
> plugged in to the computer USB port. When I get to the point in the
> install where it asks me to plug the printer in to the USB port I do so,
> but the install program never sees the printer. Any ideas?

Are the USB ports KNOWN to be working? Did you try the latest driver
package from the HP website. Is the USB cable KNOWN to be working?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"L Mahoney" <dragonlady00@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I've got an HP Photosmart 7550 and I'm trying to install it on a brand-new
> machine running XP. I'm following the instructions on the driver disk (which
> might be a mistake) - I'm starting the install with the printer NOT plugged
> in to the computer USB port. When I get to the point in the install where it
> asks me to plug the printer in to the USB port I do so, but the install
> program never sees the printer. Any ideas?

Which model of computer? Some computers have issues with the USB port, see:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us...
and
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...
..

You might also make sure you have the latest drivers. Version 4.2 is the
latest on the HP site at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&...

Regards,
June 4, 2005 2:49:39 AM

The installation process may have got out of sync. Not uncommon with some
drivers.
You could try this:
Unplug the USB cable from the printer
Go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager.
Click on the view tab and enable "show hidden devices"
If the 7550 shows under "printers", then right click on the 7550 entry and
select "uninstall" and confirm this if asked to.
Then reboot and follow the installation instructions exactly (as you have
indicated).
If this does not work then I suggest you contact HP
Tony

L Mahoney <dragonlady00@adelphia.net> wrote:
>I've got an HP Photosmart 7550 and I'm trying to install it on a
>brand-new machine running XP. I'm following the instructions on the
>driver disk (which might be a mistake) - I'm starting the install with
>the printer NOT plugged in to the computer USB port. When I get to the
>point in the install where it asks me to plug the printer in to the USB
>port I do so, but the install program never sees the printer. Any ideas?
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:59:42 AM

You need to get your money's worth. Call HP Tech Suppt. I am sure they
can help you. That said I would think that XP (service pack to date)
already has the drivers for the printer. If you want you can install
the remainder of the software that came with the printer.

!