help me install this please!!!

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
i just got my PNY GeForce 7600gt 8)
Im on the phone with gateway, their helping me uninstall my on board grpahics, but they wont help me install the new thing.
Can anybody help me plz!?

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Not much to it. Just plug the graphics card into the open slot on your motherboard and plug your monitor into the graphics card. Then go to Nvidia's website and download the drivers for the card. Run the driver setup and you'll have to reboot when it's finished. Done. I'm hoping that Gateway told you this, but you'll want to disable your onboard graphics through your bios before you boot up with the new graphics card installed.

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
ok, i did it 8O
Now, i installed the drivers that came on the CD with it, my screen has refresh rates: 60, 70, 72, 75
Right now its on 60 ( same as it was before )
Is 60 good or should i change it? I have no idea ...

Is there anything i should change..... Even the common sence things, is there anything i should change in the settings or anything ??

Thx.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
1. Your refresh rate depends on your monitor. Do you have a CRT or a flat panel?

Rule of thumb: The higher the refresh rate - the better, just be sure not to set the refresh rate higher than the highest supported by your monitor, lest you may damage the monitor.

2. It is quite possible that you need to install drivers for your monitor to see all refresh rates that it supports (Go to your monitor manufacturer's web site and look up downloads for your monitor model).

3. If it is CRT you need to know the maximum refresh rate that it supports at your preferred resolution (see 2 above). For example, I have a 22" Viewsonic CRT at home and while it supports refresh rates up to 120 Hz (at lower resolutions) its default resolution is 1600x1200 at 85 Hz. It would be dangerous to set refresh to 100 Hz at 1600x1200. To have 100 Hz I need to reduce the resolution to 1280x1024....

Anyhow, I would say that 85 Hz is the safe bet for most more or less recent CRTs.

If you have a flat panel, use the default setting.

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I went to the gateway site and it said i use a 'plug and play' moniter so no drivers are needed.

It also says:
Best video mode is 1280 x 1024 @ 60 hz.

But it says 1280 x 1024 79.98 kHz (horizontal frequency) 75 Hz (vertical Frequency) is supported

It says its a
17-inch active-matrix TFT (thin film transistor) LCD
FPD 1750 Monitor

Should i keep my moniter at 60hz or would it make a difference if i raised it to 76 hz?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I went to the gateway site and it said i use a 'plug and play' moniter so no drivers are needed.

It also says:
Best video mode is 1280 x 1024 @ 60 hz.

But it says 1280 x 1024 79.98 kHz (horizontal frequency) 75 Hz (vertical Frequency) is supported

It says its a
17-inch active-matrix TFT (thin film transistor) LCD
FPD 1750 Monitor

Should i keep my moniter at 60hz or would it make a difference if i raised it to 76 hz?
Well, since it's an LCD, then you really needn't worry about refresh rates as much; TFT pixels are independent of each other, unlike CRT pixels, which are all drawn using the same electron gun at the back of the tube. (and, in fact, figures like the "horizontal frequency" are meaningless)

The specs would imply that your monitor has a native resolution of 1280x1024. Not quite sure what the response time is; it is, at most, 12ms, which it probably is, though it could be lower.

In other words, you should probably stick with the "best video mode." It's mostly with CRTs that lower refresh rates can grant headaches.