I've fallen, and I can't get up!

I was attacked by some bandits in a camp somewhere in the West Gash, and it
would have been an easy fight, but then one of them hit me with something
which knocked me to the ground. Okay, I've been knocked to the ground
before, but usually you can get back up pretty quickly. Not so this time.
I was permanently stuck lying on the ground. I wasn't anywhere near dead,
and I still had about half my fatigue. I even tried a TAI console command
to get the guy to stop whacking at me, and I sat there for a little while
waiting, and I still didn't get up. I couldn't use any potion or scroll or
other magical item, because it doesn't let you when you're lying down. I
pretty much had to reload, because my only other option was to turn the AI
back on and let the guy whack me to death. I'm sure there's a console
command to fix this, am I right? There's no way this can be an intentional
feature, that would just be way too unfair, to make it possible to be
knocked out and never able to get up - might as well be a one-hit-kill, only
it takes a lot longer.

sarah

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message

>I was attacked by some bandits in a camp somewhere in the West Gash, and it
> would have been an easy fight, but then one of them hit me with something
> which knocked me to the ground. Okay, I've been knocked to the ground
> before, but usually you can get back up pretty quickly. Not so this time.
> I was permanently stuck lying on the ground. I wasn't anywhere near dead,
> and I still had about half my fatigue.

It must be a bug. In my 2-1/2 years of playing, the same thing happened to
me once. I was near Ald'ruhn and was attacked by some ashlanders. I fell
to the ground and oops, was permanently stuck there while they beat me to
death. Very frustrating. The good news is that it's never happened to me
since. I have wondered if there was some spell active, like burden, but I
only thought of that possibility afterwards.

> It must be a bug. In my 2-1/2 years of playing, the same thing happened
> me once. I was near Ald'ruhn and was attacked by some ashlanders. I fell
> to the ground and oops, was permanently stuck there while they beat me to
> death. Very frustrating. The good news is that it's never happened to me
> since. I have wondered if there was some spell active, like burden, but I
> only thought of that possibility afterwards.

Hmm, I think it may have been the same place it happened to me. A little
campfire about halfway between Ald'ruhn and Gnisis? I noticed when the
first guy attacked me with some spell, three little red icons appeared in
the corner, but disappeared before I could see what they were. (It wasn't
Burden, though, because that would be a purple icon, I've seen that before.)
Anyhow, I killed the spellcaster, and it was only afterwards that his
non-magic-using buddy knocked me down and I couldn't get up. There were no
active spell icons in the corner while I was on the ground (other than the
usual ones my character always has), and none of his stats had been lowered.
(I specificly checked for that.) It wasn't some special magic weapon,
either. When I reloaded and did the fight a second time, (easily won) the
guy had nothing more exotic than a chitin war axe on his corpse.

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 21:24:17 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>I was attacked by some bandits in a camp somewhere in the West Gash, and it
>would have been an easy fight, but then one of them hit me with something
>which knocked me to the ground. Okay, I've been knocked to the ground
>before, but usually you can get back up pretty quickly. Not so this time.
>I was permanently stuck lying on the ground. I wasn't anywhere near dead,
>and I still had about half my fatigue. I even tried a TAI console command
>to get the guy to stop whacking at me, and I sat there for a little while
>waiting, and I still didn't get up. I couldn't use any potion or scroll or
>other magical item, because it doesn't let you when you're lying down. I
>pretty much had to reload, because my only other option was to turn the AI
>back on and let the guy whack me to death. I'm sure there's a console
>command to fix this, am I right? There's no way this can be an intentional
>feature, that would just be way too unfair, to make it possible to be
>knocked out and never able to get up - might as well be a one-hit-kill, only
>it takes a lot longer.

It's certainly not part of the planned game, you're only supposed to
fall when you run out of fatigue. I'd try 'fixme'. I have no idea
whether this is the sort of problem it can fix, but it couldn't hurt.

> Hmm, I think it may have been the same place it happened to me. A little
> campfire about halfway between Ald'ruhn and Gnisis?

No, it happened to me to the south of Ald'ruhn, somewhere in the vicinity of
Fort Buckmoth. Also ashlanders, though. Must be a bug - hope we don't run
into it again.

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message news:<fYqdnVb7QIKQGxDcRVn-hQ@giganews.com>...
> I was attacked by some bandits in a camp somewhere in the West Gash, and it
> would have been an easy fight, but then one of them hit me with something
> which knocked me to the ground. Okay, I've been knocked to the ground
> before, but usually you can get back up pretty quickly. Not so this time.
> I was permanently stuck lying on the ground. I wasn't anywhere near dead,
> and I still had about half my fatigue. I even tried a TAI console command
> to get the guy to stop whacking at me, and I sat there for a little while
> waiting, and I still didn't get up. I couldn't use any potion or scroll or
> other magical item, because it doesn't let you when you're lying down. I
> pretty much had to reload, because my only other option was to turn the AI
> back on and let the guy whack me to death. I'm sure there's a console
> command to fix this, am I right? There's no way this can be an intentional
> feature, that would just be way too unfair, to make it possible to be
> knocked out and never able to get up - might as well be a one-hit-kill, only
> it takes a lot longer.

This happens when you were under a "Fortify Fatigue" effect. When
under this effect your fatigue will only regenerate up to your normal
limit. But when the effect wears out, the amount of fatigue added by
the effect will be subtracted from your current amount. This often
results in a negative fatigue -> you will be knocked down, until your
fatigue regenerates up to zero.
For example you normaly have a fatigue of 200 and use a potion
"Fortify Fatigue 100 pts". You will now have a fatigue current/max
300/200. Your fatigue will not regenerate over 200, and when the
effect wears out, 100 pts of fatigue will be subtracted from your
current fatigue. If this happend during a fight and you happen to have
only, say, 50 pts fatigue, you will have -50 fatigue afterwards. You
will be knocked down until your fatigue regenerates up to zero.

> This happens when you were under a "Fortify Fatigue" effect. When
> under this effect your fatigue will only regenerate up to your normal
> limit. But when the effect wears out, the amount of fatigue added by
> the effect will be subtracted from your current amount. This often
> results in a negative fatigue -> you will be knocked down, until your
> fatigue regenerates up to zero.
> For example you normaly have a fatigue of 200 and use a potion
> "Fortify Fatigue 100 pts". You will now have a fatigue current/max
> 300/200. Your fatigue will not regenerate over 200, and when the
> effect wears out, 100 pts of fatigue will be subtracted from your
> current fatigue. If this happend during a fight and you happen to have
> only, say, 50 pts fatigue, you will have -50 fatigue afterwards. You
> will be knocked down until your fatigue regenerates up to zero.

Not unless the wizard cast Fortify Fatigue on me before I killed him.
(Seems like a strange thing for an enemy to do to you...) I didn't use any
potions or spells or anything, just my big axe.

> Not unless the wizard cast Fortify Fatigue on me before I killed him.
> (Seems like a strange thing for an enemy to do to you...) I didn't use
> any
> potions or spells or anything, just my big axe.

Neither did I. In fact, I never cast Fortify spells or drink Fortify
potions. So there was no reason that I shouldn't have been able to get up.