Sign in with
Your question

Need advise on water cooling d805.

Last response: in Overclocking
August 1, 2006 6:15:43 PM

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting the D805 and overclocking it to 4.0Ghz.
The place where I'm living in is hot. It's an old house without proper insulation.
So, I'm thinking of water cooling.

My question is:
Will something that is around $150 (ie. ThermalTake's BigWater) be sufficient for that or do I have to spend $300 (ie. Koolance EXOS) to be able to o/c the cpu to 4.0Ghz in a hot room?
August 2, 2006 4:35:06 AM

First of all, how much you can OC is not just going to depend on the cooling. It will also depend on your motherboard, ram, power supply AND cooling.

We also have no idea what you mean by hot.... If you live in siberia then 60F is hot... if you like in Jamaica then 120F is hot...
August 2, 2006 8:06:00 AM

Just an FYI, I'm in Oklahoma.
Temperature in the house is normally around 85-87F.

Thinking of getting the Asus P5WD mobo and probably some Corsair XMS DDR2-800 memory. As for the power supply, I'll probably be using the Ultra 500W.

Was initially thinking of going with the Aquagate R120 becos it was cheap and easy maintenance...but since everybody recommending that you get what you pay for, I was thinking of the Bigwater Unit.

But I would really like to hear what others more experience in water cooling.
So any suggestions would help.

Thanks.
Related resources
August 3, 2006 10:00:20 AM

Ok, first thing - ixnay on the Aquagate R120 - how can I put this in technical terms...it sucks - plain and simple doesn't cool as good as a good heatsink/fan combo.

As for premade kits... think of it like this. Alot of people watercool but there are pretty much two distinct types of watercooling enthusiasts - the ones who are just trying to find a better alternative to standard convection cooling and those who go the DIY (do-it-yourself) route and upgrade their components like they upgrade their computers. Premade kits are suitable if you don't game much or do any overclocking. But, I recommend doing research on any premade kit to see if it has been reviewed somewhere to get a better idea as to it's effectiveness. DIY will always produce the better results for a number of reasons.

1)You get a better understanding of how the different components work and thus you learn about their effectiveness.

2)Your watercooling kit will reflect your personal cooling philosophy. Some people like to watercool everything (CPU, GPU, Northbridge, HDD, Mosfets, etc).

3)You are not tied down to proprietery waterblocks, reservoirs or anything else that limits your choice with premade kits (This does not include premade kits offerred by companies like Swiftech or Danger Den)

4)It's actually alot of fun to do DIY.

5)Anyone who stays with watercooling as their cooling method of choice will ultimately end up in the DIY (for the most part) category anyway as the advances made in singular components far outpaces a kits staying power.

For every component that you will see in a kit (i.e cpu waterblock, reservoir, radiator, pump, etc) you can always finda more superior component available in the DIY area - more powerful pumps, better tubing, more effective waterblocks, larger selection of waterblocks, etc.

But, the DIY category is more expensive - this is no joke. I don't EVEN want to know what I've spent on my watercooling solution so I just live in denial. lol
August 3, 2006 4:08:34 PM

I got an all in one cooling kit from thermaltake and I oc my 805 up to 3.8GHz on it with temps of 66c under load. The kit was $100. The 805 is a great value if you intend to overclock it but if you start spending lots of money on cooling the value dissapears. A conroe 6600 can be had for not much more than an 805 with a $200 cooler.
August 3, 2006 5:56:03 PM

It really depends on what you plan to cool. If it is just one component - the CPU - then I am sure a premade manufacturers kit will be adequate for you. If you plan to cool more though, you should consider other alternatives than premade kits.
August 3, 2006 6:54:09 PM

The best bang for your buck is the Thermaltake Bigwater 745. This is a great kit, later if you decide to toss a GPU block in the loop it can handle that as well(i had this on my old system). You should see much better temps with that setup. Also a good thermal paste such as Artic Silver 5 is a must.
August 3, 2006 6:59:03 PM

I say save your money and get a D950/D940 with a nice hsf and a slight overclock instead or a 3800x2 instead, you'll regret geeting the d805.

I have had a few d805's with a ton of different cooling, I have a d805 at 4.3 ghz with a modified corsair nautilus i get about 70° full load after a few hours of prime, that number keeps climbing slowly. I had a bigwater 745 but it sprung a leak but the time it was working it seemd to be cooling better then the corsair (before the mod).
I also lap and polish the cpu/waterblock

However the 745 wont handle the d805 overclocked with a gpu, no way!

the one thing you need to keep in mind is that these kits that have external radiators blow the hot air directly into your room and temp will go up in that room, the good part is that my case temps are down leaving more room to overclock the gpu

ps: also have a p5wd2-e and an ultra 600w psu, I am not too fond of this motherboard because it is currently dying slowly
August 3, 2006 7:28:30 PM

With the Conroe mobos starting to roll out this month, I'd think you would be better off purchasing a 6600 as someone already suggested. The 805 with water cooling will run you about the same price, kit or not. Essentially, the 6600 will run cooler, faster, and save you some money on your energy bill. If the mood still strikes you the same, you can even add water cooling to the 6600 and see what kind of overclock that can get you.

Generally, I would recommend against purchasing a kit. I think people have listed plenty of reasons for this already.

I'm running the 805 @ 3.6 (1:1) with a TT Big Typhoon
vcore: 1.28
idle: 38C
load: 47C
ambient: 78F

As far as I'm concerned, it isn't worth it to push it much further because of performance/power gains and the air system is keeping good temps at this speed.

Originally, I planned on water cooling, but, like someone already mentioned, I found that this diminished the value of my purchase (especially when considering the cost/gains of running at 4Ghz on water vs. 3.8 on air). If I had to do it all over again, I certainly would have waited the extra two months for Conroe because it is WAY more efficient than the Pentium D.
August 3, 2006 8:03:13 PM

Well, everyone has been telling you many things, and I agree that it isin't worth getting the 805 and then buying a nice watercooling set-up. But I'll answer your question.

Don't get cheap watercooling sets. Performance compared to air-cooling will not be that much better. If your gonna go all the way... then go all the way. No need for the $300 Koolance Exos either. A lot of money just to be lazy. Here's my suggestion.

Waterblock - Swiftech Apogee, or Danger Den TDX. 2 of the best right now.

Pump - Laing D5... No question, just get it. (Also known as the Swiftech MCP 655 or DD 12V-D5, same thing)

Radiator - Black Ice Xtreme, or MCR 120. You could go 2*120mm, but if you have a small case, the 1 120mm fan is enough. You could get a rad-box and mount it outside, but thats all personal perference.

Resevoir - Pretty much up to you, smaller, bigger, whatever. Not really that important, but keep it above your pump so you can gravity feed water.

Tubing - Tygon.

Additive - Xerex, or similar. You could also use pre-bottle coolant.

Whether you get other blocks is up to you, but there's your standard set-up. That should only run you... oh... 200 or so bucks. /Shrug

Don't forget Arctic Silver 5
August 4, 2006 8:17:52 PM

Thanks....I'll look into it.
August 7, 2006 9:44:25 AM

i have a koolance case the older one that looks like a cheiftech dragon. Im using the stock waterblock on my 805 @3.6ghz and it goes to max load temp of 50C. I recently added a block to my X850XT which brings the whole system temps up around 4C. Im in the process of making my own second radiator to fit in the 2 80mm fan slot for extra heat exchanging. My ambient house temp is around 75-80F.
August 10, 2006 7:03:07 AM

Interesting article.

Because of the ambient temperature in my house and the article, I have decided to forego getting the d805 and probably go for a good mobo which will support conroe and get a cpu which is at an average price.

Thanks for all the replies.
August 26, 2006 5:14:58 AM

what high temps? This is just prejudice plain and simple, mine runs at 50C at full load on both cores, i mean hell, my athlon xp 1900 + ran hotter than that. Sure the 940 is 133 bucks but it will not overclock like the 805. I love mine and it hauls major fast, ill wait till the conroes come down to the 100 level, by then i should need something faster.
August 26, 2006 5:58:56 AM

Good call! I love my processor and have zero regrets in getting it. I bought it before the article came out and very much enjoy the "challenges" that the CPU brings with it. The heat is the first thing you must tackle, no big deal. I paid 21.99 for my AC Freezer 7 Pro. I have 12 bucks invested in two 120mm fans that intake/exhaust my case.

Regarding the power consumption that everyone raves about? Here are a few power consumption numbers for stuff people use every day.
Microwave= 1450 watts
Coffee Maker= 1200 watts
Toaster= 1150 watts
Water heater= 2400-4400 watts
Range=12000 watts
Clothes Dryer=2800 watts
Air Conditioner= 2000-10000 watts

I know this it the wrong section and thread for this, but I just get frustrated when people that don't own a D805, bash it. My best friend's dad is an Nuclear Processes Engineer for Xcel Energy and laughs at the 200watt consumption under full load that the D805 produces. He knows what he is talking about and says the average electric bill varies by 10-15% per month due to A/C usage, oven/range usage, water heater and other major appliances. They have 4 PC's in their house, with an average of 2 of them on at any time, and he doesn't blink at the added Kw/hr on the bill. Sorry for the thread-jack, I just wanted to share!
August 26, 2006 12:50:21 PM

havent looked into the 915, but i thoroghly agree with the 4ghz, although i have had mine running fine a 4ghz, i didnt like over volting it, it runs fine at 3.6ghz, i dont need anything faster yet. Im one of the lucky ones who can get it there i guess though i know what your saying, theres alot who cant and it was a little misleading in that regard.
August 26, 2006 1:53:06 PM

Quote:
D915 is the new D805. PERIOD

I couldn't agree with you more. Friend of mine who bought a D805 the same time as I did just picked up a D915 on eBay for like 40 bucks on kinda a joke bid thinking "if i put out thirty bids for random parts, i may win one or two" and he did.

But my point is, he had the D805 in his system running at 4.0 with a Bigwater 735. Same exact system but with the D915 he runs stable at 4.2 and can do some benches at 4.3.

At 4.3 the D915 seems to run 3-4C less than the D805 does at 3.8.
September 2, 2006 3:44:30 AM

lol , this is getting funny, i love other peoples opinions. My 805 will run any application written on gods green earth, so what if it takes a extra 15 seconds to do it because its not the latest technology, why does it bug you guys so much? Leave it be, its like driving a 2006 corvette to the junk yard just because its not a 07. Man please let it rest, for the love of Pete! :?
!