Previous Windows versions had a desktop ikon which
brought the desktop to the screen by one single click.
Now I have to minimize all open windows before I can get
to it. Surely I have missed something. How can I get
the Desktop (and other shortcuts) on the bottom of the
screen?

Start
Control Panel
Taskbar and Start Menu
Show Quick Launch

Enable the Quick Lauch bar. If already enabled then the Show Desktop icon
appears in the Quick Lauch toolbar next to the Start button. If you do not
see it then click on the ">>" symbol at the right end of the Quick Launch
bar and you will see it among the hidden quick launch icons. You can drag
and drop the icon to the visible area to change the order of Quick Launch
icons so that ones you want to always show are given priority.

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 07:11:05 -0700, Still Beginner wrote:

> Previous Windows versions had a desktop ikon which
> brought the desktop to the screen by one single click.
> Now I have to minimize all open windows before I can get
> to it. Surely I have missed something. How can I get
> the Desktop (and other shortcuts) on the bottom of the
> screen?

You should have an icon for this in your Quick Launch toolbar. If the
taskbar is locked, it may be out of view. Right click the taskbar and
uncheck the Lock option. Resize the Quick Launch toolbar so that all icons
are displayed. If you want, you can re-lock the taskbar.

Wesley has posted the link to Kelly's site that can help you get back the
icon if it's missing. Just wanted to add that the keyboard shortcut,
Windows key + D, toggles back and forth between open windows and the
desktop.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Depends in what country you're in.
"Ramd" <dsf@dfds.com> wrote in message
> it's spelled icon, not ikon

Hi

Please see the following link to Kelly's web site. Please read the
directions at the top of the page:

Line 61 - right hand side

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Still Beginner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Previous Windows versions had a desktop ikon which
> brought the desktop to the screen by one single click.
> Now I have to minimize all open windows before I can get
> to it. Surely I have missed something. How can I get
> the Desktop (and other shortcuts) on the bottom of the
> screen?

well im in the us and its spelled icon.

In news:u05F7akrEHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Ramd <dsf@dfds.com> typed:

> well im in the us and its spelled icon.

While you're busy correcting other people's spelling, you might
want to note that what you call "im" is spelled "I'm" and "its"
is spelled "it's."

Also note that sentences begin with capital letters, as do
abbreviations for the names of countries, such as "US."

Please reply to the newsgroup

Small world.

"Ramd" <dsf@dfds.com> wrote in message
> well im in the us and its spelled icon.

Enable the Quick Launch bar by right-clicking Taskbar, select Toolbars.
Enable "Quick Launch". OTOH, if the Show Desktop icon is missing in be QL
bar, type this command in Start, Run dialog:

regsvr32 /n /i:U Shell32.dll

No reboot required.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI