RDP to 2003 OK, not to 2KAdvServ

From a Win2KPro machine running MSTSC ver 5.2, I can RDP to my Win2003
Server with no problems (actually, I had to update my NVidia video drivers
to keep from being instantly logged out after successfully connecting).
However, I cannot RDP to my Win2000AdvServ server - I get the typical
"Client could not connect..." message.

From the book "Inside Windows 2000 Server" by Boswell (New Riders
Publishing, 2000), I checked the various settings to enable Terminal
Services in Admin mode. From the client machine, I've also double checked
the destination by selecting <Browse for more...> and choosing the
appropriate machine. Which is weird because the 2000AdvServ shows up but
NOT the Win2003 server.

What else might be causing this inability to connect to the Win2000AdvServ
machine?

--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

Could be various IP sec things, the best thing to do is do a network trace and
watch what happens when you make a connection. If you see a RST on the
connection, something is specifically disconnecting you.

joe

www.joeware.net

Brian Smither wrote:
> From a Win2KPro machine running MSTSC ver 5.2, I can RDP to my Win2003
> Server with no problems (actually, I had to update my NVidia video drivers
> to keep from being instantly logged out after successfully connecting).
> However, I cannot RDP to my Win2000AdvServ server - I get the typical
> "Client could not connect..." message.
>
> From the book "Inside Windows 2000 Server" by Boswell (New Riders
> Publishing, 2000), I checked the various settings to enable Terminal
> Services in Admin mode. From the client machine, I've also double checked
> the destination by selecting <Browse for more...> and choosing the
> appropriate machine. Which is weird because the 2000AdvServ shows up but
> NOT the Win2003 server.
>
> What else might be causing this inability to connect to the Win2000AdvServ
> machine?

From past suggestions made by Christa Anderson
(expertanswercenter.techtarget.com), I installed the RDP client (v5.0) on
the problematic Win2kAdvServ machine. I then tried to connect a TS
session from that machine to that machine. No go. Same "Cannot
connect..." message.

Running the Network Monitor tool on the Win2KAdvServ machine, I see
nothing when trying to connect a TS session locally. I see eight packets
when trying to connect a session from a remote Win2KPro machine:
1,2: NS Query and response
3,4: I assume the initial query to port 3389 and a response. The response
flags are Acknowledgement Field and Reset Connection.
5,6 and 7,8: These are identical to packets 3,4 except for the
Identification field and the corresponding checksum values.

While it's been said the the "Cannot connect at this time..." message
represents a large collection of possible faults, I have seen specific
messages that imply I was trying to log in with bad credentials, or the
machine went to sleep and the network card disengaged its hold on the
physical media (I hope I'm expressing that adaquately) - "Connection
lost."

Thanks for the reply... If the IPSec policy control on Win2KAdvServ is
not in the Advanced settings of the TCP/IP protocol settings pages, where
would I look?

Brian

--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

Yep, sounds like something is blocking or possibly TS has had the port moved.

If you don't see it in advanced network settings nor seclpol.msc check out

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal
Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

Should be 0x0D3D or 3389 (decimal).

joe

www.joeware.net

Brian Smither wrote:
> From past suggestions made by Christa Anderson
> (expertanswercenter.techtarget.com), I installed the RDP client (v5.0) on
> the problematic Win2kAdvServ machine. I then tried to connect a TS
> session from that machine to that machine. No go. Same "Cannot
> connect..." message.
>
> Running the Network Monitor tool on the Win2KAdvServ machine, I see
> nothing when trying to connect a TS session locally. I see eight packets
> when trying to connect a session from a remote Win2KPro machine:
> 1,2: NS Query and response
> 3,4: I assume the initial query to port 3389 and a response. The response
> flags are Acknowledgement Field and Reset Connection.
> 5,6 and 7,8: These are identical to packets 3,4 except for the
> Identification field and the corresponding checksum values.
>
> While it's been said the the "Cannot connect at this time..." message
> represents a large collection of possible faults, I have seen specific
> messages that imply I was trying to log in with bad credentials, or the
> machine went to sleep and the network card disengaged its hold on the
> physical media (I hope I'm expressing that adaquately) - "Connection
> lost."
>
> Thanks for the reply... If the IPSec policy control on Win2KAdvServ is
> not in the Advanced settings of the TCP/IP protocol settings pages, where
> would I look?
>
> Brian
>
> "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>>Could be various IP sec things, the best thing to do is do a network
>>trace and watch what happens when you make a connection. If you see a
>>RST on the connection, something is specifically disconnecting you.
>>
>> joe

The port is as it should be. The three pairs of packets tell me that the
correct machine has been identified. A question might be, is the response
packet coming from TS or is it a generic response coming from a different
part of the OSI model.

What I've done is to remove TS and will re-install it. I'll let you know
what happens.

--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

Nope. Didn't work.

Brian Smither <bsmitherINVALID@INVALIDcitlink.net> wrote in

--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

Well, I'm looking at MS KB article 312030. It says to delete a branch off
of the Cryptography section in the Registry. I don't have a Cryptography
section.

In the Terminal Services Manager, I do have the Console (Administrator),
but I also have a Down (65536) line item under the server name.

I don't see a way to install Crypto services. I'll go through some books.

Any comments?

Brian

> From past suggestions made by Christa Anderson
> (expertanswercenter.techtarget.com), I installed the RDP client (v5.0)
> on the problematic Win2kAdvServ machine. I then tried to connect a TS
> session from that machine to that machine. No go. Same "Cannot
> connect..." message.
>

> "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Could be various IP sec things, the best thing to do is do a network
>> trace and watch what happens when you make a connection. If you see a
>> RST on the connection, something is specifically disconnecting you.

--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

I can't think of an easy way to ascertain that.

joe

www.joeware.net

Brian Smither wrote:
> The port is as it should be. The three pairs of packets tell me that the
> correct machine has been identified. A question might be, is the response
> packet coming from TS or is it a generic response coming from a different
> part of the OSI model.
>
> What I've done is to remove TS and will re-install it. I'll let you know
> what happens.
>

> "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>>Yep, sounds like something is blocking or possibly TS has had the port
>>moved.
>>
>>If you don't see it in advanced network settings nor seclpol.msc check
>>out
>>

>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal
>>Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber
>>
>>Should be 0x0D3D or 3389 (decimal).
>>
>> joe

I am out of ideas. The times I have seen this have been with a changed port or
some sort of software blocking the connection.

www.joeware.net

Brian Smither wrote:
> Well, I'm looking at MS KB article 312030. It says to delete a branch off
> of the Cryptography section in the Registry. I don't have a Cryptography
> section.
>
> In the Terminal Services Manager, I do have the Console (Administrator),
> but I also have a Down (65536) line item under the server name.
>
> I don't see a way to install Crypto services. I'll go through some books.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Brian
>
> Brian Smither <bsmitherINVALID@INVALIDcitlink.net> wrote in
>

>>From past suggestions made by Christa Anderson
>>(expertanswercenter.techtarget.com), I installed the RDP client (v5.0)
>>on the problematic Win2kAdvServ machine. I then tried to connect a TS
>>session from that machine to that machine. No go. Same "Cannot
>>connect..." message.
>>

>>"Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>

>>>Could be various IP sec things, the best thing to do is do a network
>>>trace and watch what happens when you make a connection. If you see a
>>>RST on the connection, something is specifically disconnecting you.

I have apparently found the problem. My version of the OS is supposed to
be Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4. However, a registry value as
outlined in KB article 270588 "Remote Desktop Protocol Clients Cannot
Connect to Terminal Services Server" did not exist. Once I added the
"\Device\Video0" value, everything is working (so far).

--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.

TRENDING THREADS