  • Connection
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 4, 2005 2:01:29 PM

I'm trying to connect my new ip4000 to my home network using an HP
jetdirect 175x usb wired print server.
The printer is recognised by the HP install printer wizard, though
sometimes as unknown. It appears to install correctly but won't print.
I get a pop-up message "The print spooler was unable to connect to
your printer"
I had the same setup with my S820 and it worked perfectly.
Are there known issues with networking this printer and any solutions?

TIA
Gelf

More about : network pixma ip4000

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:08:51 PM

"Gelf" <oldanAT@freeuk.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to connect my new ip4000 to my home network using an HP
> jetdirect 175x usb wired print server.
> The printer is recognised by the HP install printer wizard, though
> sometimes as unknown. It appears to install correctly but won't print.
> I get a pop-up message "The print spooler was unable to connect to
> your printer"
> I had the same setup with my S820 and it worked perfectly.
> Are there known issues with networking this printer and any solutions?

While it *should* be possible, it is not always depending on network setup.
If not to late exchange it for the PIXMA iP4000R which is designed for
network operation.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 10:04:07 PM

PC Medic wrote:
> "Gelf" <oldanAT@freeuk.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to connect my new ip4000 to my home network using an HP
>> jetdirect 175x usb wired print server.
>> The printer is recognised by the HP install printer wizard, though
>> sometimes as unknown. It appears to install correctly but won't
>> print. I get a pop-up message "The print spooler was unable to
>> connect to your printer"
>> I had the same setup with my S820 and it worked perfectly.
>> Are there known issues with networking this printer and any
>> solutions?
>
> While it *should* be possible, it is not always depending on network
> setup. If not to late exchange it for the PIXMA iP4000R which is
> designed for network operation.

Isn't R model equipped with newetork card? And a loooooot more expensive...
If a man has R model, than router with print server is not needed, and
(correct me if i'm wrong) whole point of having print server on router is
because you have printer without network card...
June 4, 2005 10:04:08 PM

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> PC Medic wrote:
>> "Gelf" <oldanAT@freeuk.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm trying to connect my new ip4000 to my home network using an HP
>>> jetdirect 175x usb wired print server.
>>> The printer is recognised by the HP install printer wizard, though
>>> sometimes as unknown. It appears to install correctly but won't
>>> print. I get a pop-up message "The print spooler was unable to
>>> connect to your printer"
>>> I had the same setup with my S820 and it worked perfectly.
>>> Are there known issues with networking this printer and any
>>> solutions?
>>
>> While it *should* be possible, it is not always depending on network
>> setup. If not to late exchange it for the PIXMA iP4000R which is
>> designed for network operation.
>
> Isn't R model equipped with newetork card? And a loooooot more
> expensive...
> If a man has R model, than router with print server is not needed, and
> (correct me if i'm wrong) whole point of having print server on router is
> because you have printer without network card...

Yes the iP4000R has built in NIC (RJ-45 and WiFi). Yes it costs more but not
a "loooooot', only about the average cost of a good NIC.
You are correct that with a printer with a built in NIC you would not
necessarily need a print server port on your router, but then again it would
be a better choice than a printer that is not supported and may not work on
that print server port you have.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 1:30:50 AM

PC Medic wrote:

>"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>

>>PC Medic wrote:
>>

>>>"Gelf" <oldanAT@freeuk.com> wrote in message

>>>While it *should* be possible, it is not always depending on network
>>>setup. If not to late exchange it for the PIXMA iP4000R which is
>>>designed for network operation.
>>>

>>Isn't R model equipped with newetork card? And a loooooot more
>>expensive...
>>If a man has R model, than router with print server is not needed, and
>>(correct me if i'm wrong) whole point of having print server on router is
>>because you have printer without network card...
>>

>Yes the iP4000R has built in NIC (RJ-45 and WiFi). Yes it costs more but not
>a "loooooot', only about the average cost of a good NIC.
>You are correct that with a printer with a built in NIC you would not
>necessarily need a print server port on your router, but then again it would
>be a better choice than a printer that is not supported and may not work on
>that print server port you have.

Why not connect the IP4000 to any networked computer and share it?

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:58:52 AM

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 21:30:50 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>PC Medic wrote:
>
>>"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

>>Yes the iP4000R has built in NIC (RJ-45 and WiFi). Yes it costs more but not
>>a "loooooot', only about the average cost of a good NIC.
>>You are correct that with a printer with a built in NIC you would not
>>necessarily need a print server port on your router, but then again it would
>>be a better choice than a printer that is not supported and may not work on
>>that print server port you have.
>>

>Why not connect the IP4000 to any networked computer and share it?

op:
1)If you have a standalone print server you don't need any other
computer on the network running in order to print. This is a major
plus of having stand alone print servers for all your printers on the
network

2)The ip4000R is quite a lot more expensive than the iP4000 in the UK.
I paid 90gbp for the 4000; the 4000R goes for 152gbp cheapest; ie 70%
more - substantial or what?

3)It is also a "non-portable" solution insofar as when the time comes
to sell it I will loose the print server and have to buy another
(expensive) printer with a built in print server. OK the iP4000R will
sell for a bit more 3 years down the road but not that much.

4)But to focus on my original post, has anyone successfully networked
the iP4000? If so, details of setup please.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 7:44:10 PM

PC Medic wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> PC Medic wrote:
>>> "Gelf" <oldanAT@freeuk.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> While it *should* be possible, it is not always depending on network
>>> setup. If not to late exchange it for the PIXMA iP4000R which is
>>> designed for network operation.
>>
>> Isn't R model equipped with newetork card? And a loooooot more
>> expensive...
>> If a man has R model, than router with print server is not needed,
>> and (correct me if i'm wrong) whole point of having print server on
>> router is because you have printer without network card...
>
> Yes the iP4000R has built in NIC (RJ-45 and WiFi). Yes it costs more
> but not a "loooooot', only about the average cost of a good NIC.

Not here...since here NIC costs about like ...what ...10 beers, R model
comes about 70% more than plain one. That's why i said "a loooooooooooooot".
And maybe i even wrote too little 'o's... :-)
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:36:09 PM

I'm using an ip8500 with a Zonet ZPS-2102 print server on both
PC and Macintosh.

!