Can I network Pixma ip4000?

I'm trying to connect my new ip4000 to my home network using an HP
jetdirect 175x usb wired print server.
The printer is recognised by the HP install printer wizard, though
sometimes as unknown. It appears to install correctly but won't print.
I get a pop-up message "The print spooler was unable to connect to
your printer"
I had the same setup with my S820 and it worked perfectly.
Are there known issues with networking this printer and any solutions?

TIA
Gelf
7 answers Last reply
More about network pixma ip4000

    "Gelf" <oldanAT@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to connect my new ip4000 to my home network using an HP
    > jetdirect 175x usb wired print server.
    > The printer is recognised by the HP install printer wizard, though
    > sometimes as unknown. It appears to install correctly but won't print.
    > I get a pop-up message "The print spooler was unable to connect to
    > your printer"
    > I had the same setup with my S820 and it worked perfectly.
    > Are there known issues with networking this printer and any solutions?

    While it *should* be possible, it is not always depending on network setup.
    If not to late exchange it for the PIXMA iP4000R which is designed for
    network operation.

    PC Medic wrote:
    > "Gelf" <oldanAT@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm trying to connect my new ip4000 to my home network using an HP
    >> jetdirect 175x usb wired print server.
    >> The printer is recognised by the HP install printer wizard, though
    >> sometimes as unknown. It appears to install correctly but won't
    >> print. I get a pop-up message "The print spooler was unable to
    >> connect to your printer"
    >> I had the same setup with my S820 and it worked perfectly.
    >> Are there known issues with networking this printer and any
    >> solutions?
    >
    > While it *should* be possible, it is not always depending on network
    > setup. If not to late exchange it for the PIXMA iP4000R which is
    > designed for network operation.

    Isn't R model equipped with newetork card? And a loooooot more expensive...
    If a man has R model, than router with print server is not needed, and
    (correct me if i'm wrong) whole point of having print server on router is
    because you have printer without network card...

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    > PC Medic wrote:
    >> "Gelf" <oldanAT@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    >>> I'm trying to connect my new ip4000 to my home network using an HP
    >>> jetdirect 175x usb wired print server.
    >>> The printer is recognised by the HP install printer wizard, though
    >>> sometimes as unknown. It appears to install correctly but won't
    >>> print. I get a pop-up message "The print spooler was unable to
    >>> connect to your printer"
    >>> I had the same setup with my S820 and it worked perfectly.
    >>> Are there known issues with networking this printer and any
    >>> solutions?
    >>
    >> While it *should* be possible, it is not always depending on network
    >> setup. If not to late exchange it for the PIXMA iP4000R which is
    >> designed for network operation.
    >
    > Isn't R model equipped with newetork card? And a loooooot more
    > expensive...
    > If a man has R model, than router with print server is not needed, and
    > (correct me if i'm wrong) whole point of having print server on router is
    > because you have printer without network card...

    Yes the iP4000R has built in NIC (RJ-45 and WiFi). Yes it costs more but not
    a "loooooot', only about the average cost of a good NIC.
    You are correct that with a printer with a built in NIC you would not
    necessarily need a print server port on your router, but then again it would
    be a better choice than a printer that is not supported and may not work on
    that print server port you have.

    PC Medic wrote:

    >"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >

    >>PC Medic wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Gelf" <oldanAT@freeuk.com> wrote in message

    >>>While it *should* be possible, it is not always depending on network
    >>>setup. If not to late exchange it for the PIXMA iP4000R which is
    >>>designed for network operation.
    >>>

    >>Isn't R model equipped with newetork card? And a loooooot more
    >>expensive...
    >>If a man has R model, than router with print server is not needed, and
    >>(correct me if i'm wrong) whole point of having print server on router is
    >>because you have printer without network card...
    >>

    >Yes the iP4000R has built in NIC (RJ-45 and WiFi). Yes it costs more but not
    >a "loooooot', only about the average cost of a good NIC.
    >You are correct that with a printer with a built in NIC you would not
    >necessarily need a print server port on your router, but then again it would
    >be a better choice than a printer that is not supported and may not work on
    >that print server port you have.

    Why not connect the IP4000 to any networked computer and share it?

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 21:30:50 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >PC Medic wrote:
    >
    >>"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

    >>Yes the iP4000R has built in NIC (RJ-45 and WiFi). Yes it costs more but not
    >>a "loooooot', only about the average cost of a good NIC.
    >>You are correct that with a printer with a built in NIC you would not
    >>necessarily need a print server port on your router, but then again it would
    >>be a better choice than a printer that is not supported and may not work on
    >>that print server port you have.
    >>

    >Why not connect the IP4000 to any networked computer and share it?

    op:
    1)If you have a standalone print server you don't need any other
    computer on the network running in order to print. This is a major
    plus of having stand alone print servers for all your printers on the
    network

    2)The ip4000R is quite a lot more expensive than the iP4000 in the UK.
    I paid 90gbp for the 4000; the 4000R goes for 152gbp cheapest; ie 70%
    more - substantial or what?

    3)It is also a "non-portable" solution insofar as when the time comes
    to sell it I will loose the print server and have to buy another
    (expensive) printer with a built in print server. OK the iP4000R will
    sell for a bit more 3 years down the road but not that much.

    4)But to focus on my original post, has anyone successfully networked
    the iP4000? If so, details of setup please.

    PC Medic wrote:
    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >> PC Medic wrote:
    >>> "Gelf" <oldanAT@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> While it *should* be possible, it is not always depending on network
    >>> setup. If not to late exchange it for the PIXMA iP4000R which is
    >>> designed for network operation.
    >>
    >> Isn't R model equipped with newetork card? And a loooooot more
    >> expensive...
    >> If a man has R model, than router with print server is not needed,
    >> and (correct me if i'm wrong) whole point of having print server on
    >> router is because you have printer without network card...
    >
    > Yes the iP4000R has built in NIC (RJ-45 and WiFi). Yes it costs more
    > but not a "loooooot', only about the average cost of a good NIC.

    Not here...since here NIC costs about like ...what ...10 beers, R model
    comes about 70% more than plain one. That's why i said "a loooooooooooooot".
    And maybe i even wrote too little 'o's... :-)

    I'm using an ip8500 with a Zonet ZPS-2102 print server on both
    PC and Macintosh.

    Gelf wrote:
    > I'm trying to connect my new ip4000 to my home network using an HP
    > jetdirect 175x usb wired print server.
    > The printer is recognised by the HP install printer wizard, though
    > sometimes as unknown. It appears to install correctly but won't print.
    > I get a pop-up message "The print spooler was unable to connect to
    > your printer"
    > I had the same setup with my S820 and it worked perfectly.
    > Are there known issues with networking this printer and any solutions?
    >
    > TIA
    > Gelf

Printers Connection Peripherals