Can i install a motherboard?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I just bought a new PCI-E, socket 478 motherboard in order to be able to buy a new graphics card.
So do u think i can install it myself, having much knowledge abt part but not abt this big of a job, and having only a little ammount of experience (installing a graphics card in the past and memory)?

Thnx.

I just bought a new PCI-E, socket 478 motherboard in order to be able to buy a new graphics card.
So do u think i can install it myself, having much knowledge abt part but not abt this big of a job, and having only a little ammount of experience (installing a graphics card in the past and memory)?

Thnx.

To be or not to be? That is the question. :D

ikaz

Distinguished
Well post the the MB info like the name maybe were you bought it from etc. Also post your orignal Spec of the PC that you are moving from.

Note: before telling you how it would be best to make sure you bought the correct one that why I'm asking. To install a MB you have to disconnect every thing and I mean every thing since every piece of computer equipment is attached to it. Not hard but it will take a little bit of time. You could even have space issues if you have a "brand" name PC like dell or HP the MB may not fix correctly.

hasnt anyone installed a motherboard before?

I'm sure there are a number of peeps here in the foums that have installed any number of mobo's...me personally, I've been known to slap a few into a box here and there...whether or not you can do it is more a question that you have to answer yourself...a mobo only fits into the case one way, once you put it into place and have the mounting holes lined up, it's just a matter of screwing it into place...most importantly, have a steady hand, have patience, take your time, and learn yourself thru the process.

A quick google search of "how to install motherboard" will return a page full of on line guides like this one, you should give it a read.

Good luck!

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Id love to "learn through the process" but i have a 2,000$+ system, not a 486.
My friend, who knows a lot abt this stuff says i cant do it myself, because u need screw it in, connect different thing wich i have no idea at, and overall be really percise. I want to learn, but i cant learn by trial and error.
So is it really all that hard to setup a motherboard? I mean its just like connecting all the different appliances into it and inserting new material - everything has a single special place and all u have to do is put it in, dosent seem like rocket science. Plus, it costs like 30$ or more to have it done in a lab, wich i have to drive to.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
If you have the knowledge of what part is what, and where it roughly belongs in your case, you can handle it. I learned by using a DIY guide on the net that had some pictures to help explain and basically learned from there. Like others said, just read a quick guide and move from there. If you spent $2000 on a computer and are too lazy to read a five page guide to keep your investment safe from static shock and hardware malfunction, I have trouble understanding.

My friend, who knows a lot abt this stuff says i cant do it myself, because u need screw it in, connect different thing wich i have no idea at, and overall be really percise. I want to learn, but i cant learn by trial and error.
So is it really all that hard to setup a motherboard? I mean its just like connecting all the different appliances into it and inserting new material - everything has a single special place and all u have to do is put it in, dosent seem like rocket science. Plus, it costs like 30$ or more to have it done in a lab, wich i have to drive to.

Yes, everything has it's place and it's not rocket science. But then again, I dunno, I'm prolly not the right person to ask, I have always built my own machines, I've never bought a pre-built. I was nervous as hell after building my 1st machine, but only because is was new, but after I plugged everything in, flipped the switch, and the fans spun, the drive whirred, the machine posted, and it searched for a boot device, I was done and hooked on building my own forever!

If you've got a system now, crack open the case and have a look inside, just by observing what's inside you can learn alot about what is connected to where and how. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, can use a screw driver, have some common sense, patience, and are willing to learn, then who cares what your friend says. Whether you choose to listen to them or try it out on your own is your decision. If they were any kind of friend, they'd give you a hand. If not, seriously, there are scads of on-line guides that walk you through the process of how to build your own machine, it's crazy how many there are, read a few of them and you will see the similarities of the process.

But hey, for $30 to have someone do it for you might be worth the drive.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

Good God kid, building a computer is not like building an engine. :roll:

If you can assemble a LEGOS toy and know how to use a screw driver, you can assemble a computer.

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006

Thnx.

http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/specification.asp?pro_id=160

there you go. be careful with ur parts and dont spill shit on them. the rest is simple. you might need a new powersupply. look into it if ur pc is old.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Hey, Legos are MUCH more complicated!

You don't need a anti-static wrist strap unless you live in a really dry region. Just plug the ps in before starting, keep the power switch on the back off, and touch it before starting, and don't more around alot.

I've built thousands of PC's and never damaged a part by doing that one simple thing. Now I do use one on the network equipment I touch but that's cause it costs over 100k usually :)

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
sorry i mean an anti static wirst strap. basically if there is a build up of static on yourself and you touch a compnent you could fry the electronics and render one of you purchase useless. also even if they work they could have damage that over the months and years could lessen performance.

basically they are straps which fit on your wrsit and you attach it to your case so as to maintain a electrical balance. if you use wone it acts as a safe guard.

And where can i get these?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

Thnx.

http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/specification.asp?pro_id=160

there you go. be careful with ur parts and dont spill **** on them. the rest is simple. you might need a new powersupply. look into it if ur pc is old.

I dont need a motherboard.

After i install everything into the case, im going to have to boot it up right?
I still have my copy of Windows XP Pro, but i was told it would no longer work.. also, im going to need to change the "BIOS" whatever those are, and install drivers, and oh man! this is too complicated. Even if i get over the physical part of putting them all in, i still have to install things using Windows.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
If you haven't run your xp product number through MS's clearing house in the last 6 months, it will register unless it's an oem from the like of HP, IBM, Dell, etc.

kye3k1

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
sorry i mean an anti static wirst strap. basically if there is a build up of static on yourself and you touch a compnent you could fry the electronics and render one of you purchase useless. also even if they work they could have damage that over the months and years could lessen performance.

basically they are straps which fit on your wrsit and you attach it to your case so as to maintain a electrical balance. if you use wone it acts as a safe guard.

I got a better idea than going out and buying static wrist straps.

Use a bag! graphics cards, hard drivers, sound cards, even the motherboards come with anti static bags, just wrap it round your hand, its bound to work. Thats what I did.

I got a better idea than going out and buying static wrist straps.

Use a bag! graphics cards, hard drivers, sound cards, even the motherboards come with anti static bags, just wrap it round your hand, its bound to work. Thats what I did.

To confuse matters even more, as long as you ground yourself out to the case, psu, or another discharge point before handling any electronic parts, you don't even need a wrist strap or an anti-static bag.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Ditto. My compy in my sig was my first homebuild. The only other computer I've owned was a notebook...so I didn't really get to play with any of the hardware inside.

Did someone build this computer for you or did you buy it from Dell or somebody? That will make the biggest difference in whether you can replace the motherboard or not.