Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 8 recovery disk

Last response: in Windows 8
December 4, 2012 9:17:51 PM

I have windows 8 on my laptop and I accedently made the laptop not bootable. When I try to boot it it goes straight to a win8 error screen and says that it cant access some files and that I should use a recovery disk. However, I forgot to make a recovery disk beforehand. I have a second win8 laptop that is still running fine. If I make a recovery disk from that computer will it work for my unbootable computer?

More about : windows recovery disk

a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
December 4, 2012 9:37:34 PM

yes, that should work.
It should also work by using pressing the F8 key as it is booting up and doing a repair.
If that does not let you do it without the DVD then use the DVD to do a Repair.

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
December 4, 2012 10:27:57 PM

if you have a windows 8 key you can download the windows 8 image from Microsoft and burn it to a DVD then use it as a repair disk. It would be much better than using a repair disk from another machine. here is the Microsoft link
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-pr...
Related resources
December 4, 2012 10:37:47 PM

danny2000 said:
yes, that should work.
It should also work by using pressing the F8 key as it is booting up and doing a repair.
If that does not let you do it without the DVD then use the DVD to do a Repair.

F8 function has been removed from Windows 8

@op, as johnbl said, download the image from MSFT, burn it to DVD, boot from it and choose Repair option
December 4, 2012 10:41:14 PM

I bought the laptop OEM and from what I understand the key is built directly into the BIOS, so I dont have access to it I think. So how can I get the key for the download?
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
December 4, 2012 10:50:00 PM

Run the windows setup program, It may automatically read your OEM key from your BIOS.
December 4, 2012 10:57:23 PM

How do I run the windows setup program if my laptop says "your PC need to be repaired" and doesnt boot up fully? Can I use the recovery disk for this maybe?
January 25, 2013 9:48:37 PM

Soda-88 said:
F8 function has been removed from Windows 8

@op, as johnbl said, download the image from MSFT, burn it to DVD, boot from it and choose Repair option

If the f8 key have been remove from Windows 8 how can I boot my HP Laptop from the CD/DVD repair disk that i had already created. Please help me because i can not stop the PC when it is re-botting so i can access the BIOS to re-boot fom the DVD Repair Disk.
January 27, 2013 4:39:31 PM

MANNY1112 said:
If the f8 key have been remove from Windows 8 how can I boot my HP Laptop from the CD/DVD repair disk that i had already created. Please help me because i can not stop the PC when it is re-botting so i can access the BIOS to re-boot fom the DVD Repair Disk.

I am currently doing this on a HP laptop as well. It will briefly flash a "press escape to pause startup" It may be different depending on your laptop, but you should be able to interrupt it from booting past the BIOS and into Windows.
a b * Windows 8
February 12, 2013 6:50:45 PM

Best answer selected by jpishgar.
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
February 12, 2013 7:17:04 PM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
!