Closed Solved

Windows 8 recovery disk

I have windows 8 on my laptop and I accedently made the laptop not bootable. When I try to boot it it goes straight to a win8 error screen and says that it cant access some files and that I should use a recovery disk. However, I forgot to make a recovery disk beforehand. I have a second win8 laptop that is still running fine. If I make a recovery disk from that computer will it work for my unbootable computer?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows recovery disk
  1. yes, that should work.
    It should also work by using pressing the F8 key as it is booting up and doing a repair.
    If that does not let you do it without the DVD then use the DVD to do a Repair.
  2. Best answer
    if you have a windows 8 key you can download the windows 8 image from Microsoft and burn it to a DVD then use it as a repair disk. It would be much better than using a repair disk from another machine. here is the Microsoft link
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
  3. danny2000 said:
    yes, that should work.
    It should also work by using pressing the F8 key as it is booting up and doing a repair.
    If that does not let you do it without the DVD then use the DVD to do a Repair.

F8 function has been removed from Windows 8

@op, as johnbl said, download the image from MSFT, burn it to DVD, boot from it and choose Repair option
  4. I bought the laptop OEM and from what I understand the key is built directly into the BIOS, so I dont have access to it I think. So how can I get the key for the download?
  5. Run the windows setup program, It may automatically read your OEM key from your BIOS.
  6. How do I run the windows setup program if my laptop says "your PC need to be repaired" and doesnt boot up fully? Can I use the recovery disk for this maybe?
  7. Soda-88 said:
    F8 function has been removed from Windows 8

@op, as johnbl said, download the image from MSFT, burn it to DVD, boot from it and choose Repair option

If the f8 key have been remove from Windows 8 how can I boot my HP Laptop from the CD/DVD repair disk that i had already created. Please help me because i can not stop the PC when it is re-botting so i can access the BIOS to re-boot fom the DVD Repair Disk.
  8. MANNY1112 said:
    If the f8 key have been remove from Windows 8 how can I boot my HP Laptop from the CD/DVD repair disk that i had already created. Please help me because i can not stop the PC when it is re-botting so i can access the BIOS to re-boot fom the DVD Repair Disk.

I am currently doing this on a HP laptop as well. It will briefly flash a "press escape to pause startup" It may be different depending on your laptop, but you should be able to interrupt it from booting past the BIOS and into Windows.
  9. Best answer selected by jpishgar.
  10. This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Recovery Disk Windows 8