British English in windows XP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hey,

I've been researching the language interface display recently for
windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way to covert to
other languages without purchasing a the entire local version - quite a
surprise I must say. However despite this I think I would still I have
an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British english. Of
course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to Americans ;) but I
don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt without the "u" the
whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote the language, the
easier it is to actually get it precisely translated - for example you
can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but no British
English!

Does anyone know what the word is on a British english version of XP? I
see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if we could get it
in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people would agree! :)
30 answers Last reply
More about british english windows
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    List of languages supported in Windows XP

    Windows XP is written in specific language versions, therefore one
    cannot change it from one language version to another. You'll need
    to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the language version
    you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".

    Or if you have an available empty drive or partition, you can install
    another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different language version
    and create a dual-boot configuration.

    Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

    Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
    http://www.worldlanguage.com/

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Matt.titchener" wrote:

    | Hey,
    |
    | I've been researching the language interface display recently for
    | windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way to covert to
    | other languages without purchasing a the entire local version - quite a
    | surprise I must say. However despite this I think I would still I have
    | an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British english. Of
    | course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to Americans ;) but I
    | don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt without the "u" the
    | whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote the language, the
    | easier it is to actually get it precisely translated - for example you
    | can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but no British
    | English!
    |
    | Does anyone know what the word is on a British english version of XP? I
    | see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if we could get it
    | in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people would agree! :)
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Carey,

    Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro legally in the UK fom
    Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling, whereas my Office 2003
    uses British English so I do not feel that you have given a complete
    answer."Carey Frisch [MVP]"

    John

    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    > List of languages supported in Windows XP
    >
    > Windows XP is written in specific language versions, therefore one
    > cannot change it from one language version to another. You'll need
    > to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the language version
    > you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".
    >
    > Or if you have an available empty drive or partition, you can install
    > another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different language version
    > and create a dual-boot configuration.
    >
    > Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089
    >
    > Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
    > http://www.worldlanguage.com/
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Matt.titchener" wrote:
    >
    > | Hey,
    > |
    > | I've been researching the language interface display recently for
    > | windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way to covert to
    > | other languages without purchasing a the entire local version - quite a
    > | surprise I must say. However despite this I think I would still I have
    > | an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British english. Of
    > | course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to Americans ;) but I
    > | don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt without the "u" the
    > | whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote the language, the
    > | easier it is to actually get it precisely translated - for example you
    > | can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but no British
    > | English!
    > |
    > | Does anyone know what the word is on a British english version of XP? I
    > | see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if we could get it
    > | in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people would agree! :)

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Windows and OFFICE are two independent products. Windows is
    an Operating system and OFFICE is an application.

    "John Butler" <onclejon@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
    | Carey,
    |
    | Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro
    legally in the UK fom
    | Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling, whereas
    my Office 2003
    | uses British English so I do not feel that you have given
    a complete
    | answer."Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    |
    | John
    |
    | <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    | > List of languages supported in Windows XP
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=292246
    | >
    | > Windows XP is written in specific language versions,
    therefore one
    | > cannot change it from one language version to another.
    You'll need
    | > to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the
    language version
    | > you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".
    | >
    | > Or if you have an available empty drive or partition,
    you can install
    | > another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different
    language version
    | > and create a dual-boot configuration.
    | >
    | > Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version
    of Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

    | > Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
    | > http://www.worldlanguage.com/
    | >
    | > --
    | > Carey Frisch
    | > Microsoft MVP
    | > Windows XP - Shell/User
    | >
    | > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    | > "Matt.titchener" wrote:
    | >
    | > | Hey,
    | > |
    | > | I've been researching the language interface display
    recently for
    | > | windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way
    to covert to
    | > | other languages without purchasing a the entire local
    version - quite a
    | > | surprise I must say. However despite this I think I
    would still I have
    | > | an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British
    english. Of
    | > | course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to
    Americans ;) but I
    | > | don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt
    without the "u" the
    | > | whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote
    the language, the
    | > | easier it is to actually get it precisely translated -
    for example you
    | > | can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but
    no British
    | > | English!
    | > |
    | > | Does anyone know what the word is on a British english
    version of XP? I
    | > | see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if
    we could get it
    | > | in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people
    would agree! :)

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I think he knows that, the two were used as an example of the interface

    > Windows and OFFICE are two independent products. Windows is
    > an Operating system and OFFICE is an application.
    >

    > "John Butler" <onclejon@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
    > | Carey,
    > |
    > | Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro
    > legally in the UK fom
    > | Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling, whereas
    > my Office 2003
    > | uses British English so I do not feel that you have given
    > a complete
    > | answer."Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    > |
    > | John
    > |
    > | <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    > | > List of languages supported in Windows XP
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=292246
    > | >
    > | > Windows XP is written in specific language versions,
    > therefore one
    > | > cannot change it from one language version to another.
    > You'll need
    > | > to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the
    > language version
    > | > you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".
    > | >
    > | > Or if you have an available empty drive or partition,
    > you can install
    > | > another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different
    > language version
    > | > and create a dual-boot configuration.
    > | >
    > | > Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version
    > of Windows XP
    > | >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089
    > | >
    > | > Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
    > | > http://www.worldlanguage.com/
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Carey Frisch
    > | > Microsoft MVP
    > | > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > | >
    > | > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    ----

    > | > |
    > recently for
    > to covert to
    > version - quite a
    > would still I have
    > english. Of
    > Americans ;) but I
    > without the "u" the
    > the language, the
    > for example you
    > no British
    > | > |
    > version of XP? I
    > we could get it
    > would agree! :)

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > List of languages supported in Windows XP
    >
    > Windows XP is written in specific language versions, therefore one
    > cannot change it from one language version to another. You'll need
    > to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the language version
    > you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".
    >
    > Or if you have an available empty drive or partition, you can install
    > another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different language version
    > and create a dual-boot configuration.
    >
    > Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089
    >
    > Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
    > http://www.worldlanguage.com/

    Once again, Carey responds without reading the question, or does read it
    and doesn't understand it.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Phil, you need to read your own links. The first one confirms what Carey
    says. Further it points out that this behavior is by design. It lists as
    the resolution a dual boot configuration. The list of languages is a
    reference for the user to determine whether or not Windows exists in their
    language.

    "Phil McCracken" <Phil@McCracken.com> wrote in message
    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >> List of languages supported in Windows XP
    >>
    >> Windows XP is written in specific language versions, therefore one
    >> cannot change it from one language version to another. You'll need
    >> to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the language version
    >> you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".
    >>
    >> Or if you have an available empty drive or partition, you can install
    >> another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different language version
    >> and create a dual-boot configuration.
    >>
    >> Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089
    >>
    >> Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
    >> http://www.worldlanguage.com/
    >>

    > Once again, Carey responds without reading the question, or does read it
    > and doesn't understand it.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Yes that was my idea.
    "DL" <dl@spoofmail.nothere> wrote in message
    >I think he knows that, the two were used as an example of the interface
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> Windows and OFFICE are two independent products. Windows is
    >> an Operating system and OFFICE is an application.
    >>

    >> "John Butler" <onclejon@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
    >> | Carey,
    >> |
    >> | Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro
    >> legally in the UK fom
    >> | Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling, whereas
    >> my Office 2003
    >> | uses British English so I do not feel that you have given
    >> a complete
    >> | answer."Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    >> |
    >> | John
    >> |
    >> | <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

    >> therefore one
    >> You'll need
    >> language version

    >> you can install
    >> language version

    >> of Windows XP
    >> | >
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    > ----

    >> | > |
    >> recently for
    >> to covert to
    >> version - quite a
    >> would still I have
    >> english. Of
    >> Americans ;) but I
    >> without the "u" the
    >> the language, the
    >> for example you
    >> no British
    >> | > |
    >> version of XP? I
    >> we could get it
    >> would agree! :)

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    More voer when I look at the settings in the language bar I see that it is
    set to English (United Kingdom) soI woder whether "Favorites" ever appears
    in another form?
    "DL" <dl@spoofmail.nothere> wrote in message
    >I think he knows that, the two were used as an example of the interface
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> Windows and OFFICE are two independent products. Windows is
    >> an Operating system and OFFICE is an application.
    >>

    >> "John Butler" <onclejon@uselesnospam.com> wrote in message
    >> | Carey,
    >> |
    >> | Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro
    >> legally in the UK fom
    >> | Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling, whereas
    >> my Office 2003
    >> | uses British English so I do not feel that you have given
    >> a complete
    >> | answer."Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    >> |
    >> | John
    >> |
    >> | <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

    >> therefore one
    >> You'll need
    >> language version

    >> you can install
    >> language version

    >> of Windows XP
    >> | >
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    > ----

    >> | > |
    >> recently for
    >> to covert to
    >> version - quite a
    >> would still I have
    >> english. Of
    >> Americans ;) but I
    >> without the "u" the
    >> the language, the
    >> for example you
    >> no British
    >> | > |
    >> version of XP? I
    >> we could get it
    >> would agree! :)

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Nope, Phil hit it right on the head. Carey has a serious problem of read and react posting, usually making replies by simply looking at the subject line, instead of actually reading the post. The article doesn't address the OP's query.

    Carey does this out of making quanity of posts rather than quality.

    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message news:%23YApCLlrEHA.3464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Phil, you need to read your own links. The first one confirms what Carey
    > says. Further it points out that this behavior is by design. It lists as
    > the resolution a dual boot configuration. The list of languages is a
    > reference for the user to determine whether or not Windows exists in their
    > language.
    >
    > "Phil McCracken" <Phil@McCracken.com> wrote in message
    >> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >>> List of languages supported in Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=292246
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP is written in specific language versions, therefore one
    >>> cannot change it from one language version to another. You'll need
    >>> to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the language version
    >>> you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".
    >>>
    >>> Or if you have an available empty drive or partition, you can install
    >>> another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different language version
    >>> and create a dual-boot configuration.
    >>>
    >>> Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089
    >>>
    >>> Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
    >>> http://www.worldlanguage.com/
    >>>

    >> Once again, Carey responds without reading the question, or does read it
    >> and doesn't understand it.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Control Panel/double click "Regional and Language Options" and you will see
    a choce of 13 or 14 versions of english usage although that will not not, I
    do not believe, solve your problem with the US spelling usage through out
    the OS; however, if you have a UK specific version of Office installed I
    would think you would have a UK dictionary installed in Word which would
    function as a spelling checker for both Word and Outlook Express which is
    some consolation.
    <matt.titchener@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | Hey,
    |
    | I've been researching the language interface display recently for
    | windows XP, and discovered that there is no simple way to covert to
    | other languages without purchasing a the entire local version - quite a
    | surprise I must say. However despite this I think I would still I have
    | an issue - I'd like to see the interface in British english. Of
    | course... it's not a *huge* deal, especially to Americans ;) but I
    | don't appreciate having to read "favorites" spelt without the "u" the
    | whole time. It seems a little odd how the more remote the language, the
    | easier it is to actually get it precisely translated - for example you
    | can now get Lithuanian and Thai windows version, but no British
    | English!
    |
    | Does anyone know what the word is on a British english version of XP? I
    | see no LIPs pack or MUI version. T'would be a great if we could get it
    | in a local version - I'm sure 58 million other people would agree! :)

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    John Butler wrote:
    > Carey,
    >
    > Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro legally in the UK fom
    > Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling,
    <SNIP>

    I think that is known as cultural imperialism!
    (It continually foxes me and I am forever forgetting that English is
    neither spoken or written in the USA :)

    Charlie.

    --
    www.peartreegreen.org
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Cie la vie.

    "Charlie" <nospam@peartreegreen.org> wrote in message
    > John Butler wrote:
    >> Carey,
    >>
    >> Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro legally in the UK
    >> fom Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling,
    > <SNIP>
    >
    > I think that is known as cultural imperialism!
    > (It continually foxes me and I am forever forgetting that English is
    > neither spoken or written in the USA :)
    >

    > Charlie.
    >
    > --
    > www.peartreegreen.org
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    company life??

    Gord

    On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 15:23:08 -0600, "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com>
    wrote:

    >Cie la vie.
    >
    >"Charlie" <nospam@peartreegreen.org> wrote in message
    >> John Butler wrote:
    >>> Carey,
    >>>
    >>> Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro legally in the UK
    >>> fom Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling,
    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >> I think that is known as cultural imperialism!
    >> (It continually foxes me and I am forever forgetting that English is
    >> neither spoken or written in the USA :)
    >>

    >> Charlie.
    >>
    >> --
    >> www.peartreegreen.org

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    It is actually C'est la vie.

    > Cie la vie.
    >
    > "Charlie" <nospam@peartreegreen.org> wrote in message
    >> John Butler wrote:
    >>> Carey,
    >>>
    >>> Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro legally in the UK
    >>> fom Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling,
    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >> I think that is known as cultural imperialism!
    >> (It continually foxes me and I am forever forgetting that English is
    >> neither spoken or written in the USA :)
    >>

    >> Charlie.
    >>
    >> --
    >> www.peartreegreen.org

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    If you go in to Start/Control Panel/Date, time and Regional etc... you can
    find at least a dozen variations on English....I use Canadian English as I
    live in Canada, but it is identical to that spoken over 'ome....

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    > It is actually C'est la vie.
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Cie la vie.
    >>
    >> "Charlie" <nospam@peartreegreen.org> wrote in message

    >>> <SNIP>
    >>>
    >>> I think that is known as cultural imperialism!
    >>> (It continually foxes me and I am forever forgetting that English is
    >>> neither spoken or written in the USA :)
    >>>

    >>> Charlie.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> www.peartreegreen.org

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Perhaps Carey doesn't understand British English.

    "Phil McCracken" wrote:

    > Once again, Carey responds without reading the question, or does read it
    > and doesn't understand it.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Even in the U.S. people have different accents in different parts of
    the country

    Disclaimer
    No derogatory comments are meant.

    Greg R
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    hi how u doin

    barry
    "Charlie" <nospam@peartreegreen.org> wrote in message
    > John Butler wrote:
    > > Carey,
    > >
    > > Though I purchased my full version of Windows XP Pro legally in the UK
    fom
    > > Amazon.co.uk it has always used American spelling,
    > <SNIP>
    >
    > I think that is known as cultural imperialism!
    > (It continually foxes me and I am forever forgetting that English is
    > neither spoken or written in the USA :)
    >

    > Charlie.
    >
    > --
    > www.peartreegreen.org
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Well I'd be happy to spend the time developing a LIP for Windows XP, just if
    Microsoft hired me ;)
    I've been away (hence my lack of replies and following of this thread), and
    seemed to have missed all the fun. Shame however that there really is no
    solution. And to all those who pretty much said I should just put up with
    it - just because I can understand it spelt that way, doesn't mean that I
    *should* read it that way - I meen u kan uhndrstaand this but it dozunt louk
    prity.

    sigh... guess I should start reading lithuanian then...

    matt
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Esperanto

    It will solve the language problems of the world, so it was
    claimed. Didn't work.

    "matt" <m_titchenerATyahoo.com> wrote in message
    | Well I'd be happy to spend the time developing a LIP for
    Windows XP, just if
    | Microsoft hired me ;)
    | I've been away (hence my lack of replies and following of
    this thread), and
    | seemed to have missed all the fun. Shame however that
    there really is no
    | solution. And to all those who pretty much said I should
    just put up with
    | it - just because I can understand it spelt that way,
    doesn't mean that I
    | *should* read it that way - I meen u kan uhndrstaand this
    but it dozunt louk
    | prity.
    |
    | sigh... guess I should start reading lithuanian then...
    |
    | matt

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I had to spend an hovr a week on esperanto at school. Lvcky cooler head prevailed.

    The Evropean Union commissioners have annovnced that an
    agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred langvage
    for Evropean commvnications, rather than German, which was the other
    possibility.

    As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that
    English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a
    5-year phased plan for what will be known as EvroEnglish (Evro for
    short).

    In the first year, "s" will be vsed instead of the soft "c". Sertainly,
    sivil
    servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be
    replased
    with "k". Not only will this klear vp konfvsion, bvt typewriters kan have
    one less letter.

    There will be growing pvblik enthvsiasm in the sekond year, when the
    trovblesome "ph" will be replaced by f". This will make words like
    "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

    In the 3rd year, pvblik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted
    to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.
    Governments will enkorage the removal of dovble letters, which have
    always ben a deterent to akvrate speling. Also, al wil agre that the
    horible

    mes of silent "e"s in the langvag is disgrasfvl, and they wovld go.

    By the 4th year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps svch as replasing "th" by
    "z" and "w" by "v".

    Dvring yer 5, ze vnesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ov",
    and similar changes vvd of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.
    Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vvnted in ze
    forst plas.

    http://www.vscricket.com
    "Jim Macklin" <p51mvstang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message news:%23qLeq0esEHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Esperanto
    >
    > It will solve the langvage problems of the world, so it was
    > claimed. Didn't work.
    >

    > "matt" <m_titchenerATyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | Well I'd be happy to spend the time developing a LIP for
    > Windows XP, jvst if
    > | Microsoft hired me ;)
    > | I've been away (hence my lack of replies and following of
    > this thread), and
    > | seemed to have missed all the fvn. Shame however that
    > there really is no
    > | solvtion. And to all those who pretty mvch said I shovld
    > jvst pvt vp with
    > | it - jvst becavse I can vnderstand it spelt that way,
    > doesn't mean that I
    > | *shovld* read it that way - I meen v kan vhndrstaand this
    > bvt it dozvnt lovk
    > | prity.
    > |
    > | sigh... gvess I shovld start reading lithvanian then...
    > |
    > | matt

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Didn't this thread (I've long since discarded most of it) start with British
    English spelling in XP? Canadian English spelling is the same and is
    available in settings. Maybe I shovld have read all the posts.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    I had to spend an hovr a week on esperanto at school. Lvcky cooler head
    prevailed.

    The Evropean Union commissioners have annovnced that an
    agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred langvage
    for Evropean commvnications, rather than German, which was the other
    possibility.

    As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that
    English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a
    5-year phased plan for what will be known as EvroEnglish (Evro for
    short).

    In the first year, "s" will be vsed instead of the soft "c". Sertainly,
    sivil
    servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be
    replased
    with "k". Not only will this klear vp konfvsion, bvt typewriters kan have
    one less letter.

    There will be growing pvblik enthvsiasm in the sekond year, when the
    trovblesome "ph" will be replaced by f". This will make words like
    "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

    In the 3rd year, pvblik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted
    to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.
    Governments will enkorage the removal of dovble letters, which have
    always ben a deterent to akvrate speling. Also, al wil agre that the
    horible

    mes of silent "e"s in the langvag is disgrasfvl, and they wovld go.

    By the 4th year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps svch as replasing "th" by
    "z" and "w" by "v".

    Dvring yer 5, ze vnesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ov",
    and similar changes vvd of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.
    Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vvnted in ze
    forst plas.

    http://www.vscricket.com
    "Jim Macklin" <p51mvstang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    > Esperanto
    >
    > It will solve the langvage problems of the world, so it was
    > claimed. Didn't work.
    >

    > "matt" <m_titchenerATyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | Well I'd be happy to spend the time developing a LIP for
    > Windows XP, jvst if
    > | Microsoft hired me ;)
    > | I've been away (hence my lack of replies and following of
    > this thread), and
    > | seemed to have missed all the fvn. Shame however that
    > there really is no
    > | solvtion. And to all those who pretty mvch said I shovld
    > jvst pvt vp with
    > | it - jvst becavse I can vnderstand it spelt that way,
    > doesn't mean that I
    > | *shovld* read it that way - I meen v kan vhndrstaand this
    > bvt it dozvnt lovk
    > | prity.
    > |
    > | sigh... gvess I shovld start reading lithvanian then...
    > |
    > | matt

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    David Candy wrote:

    > I had to spend an hovr a week on esperanto at school. Lvcky cooler head prevailed.
    >
    > The Evropean Union commissioners have annovnced that an
    > agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred langvage
    > for Evropean commvnications, rather than German, which was the other
    > possibility.
    >
    > As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that
    > English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a
    > 5-year phased plan for what will be known as EvroEnglish (Evro for
    > short).
    >
    > In the first year, "s" will be vsed instead of the soft "c". Sertainly,
    > sivil
    > servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be
    > replased
    > with "k". Not only will this klear vp konfvsion, bvt typewriters kan have
    > one less letter.
    >
    > There will be growing pvblik enthvsiasm in the sekond year, when the
    > trovblesome "ph" will be replaced by f". This will make words like
    > "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

    This is the level where the Norwegian langvage is now.

    We vse k instead of c (the letter c is very rarely vsed in the
    Norwegian langvage), and we vse f instead of ph, "photo"
    is "foto" in Norwegian.

    Nice story, David :-)

    --
    torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrvnn Norway
    the 1328 page Scripting Gvide:

    Great letter David...regarding dvh henglish: I qvit pissing arovnd with
    Canadian english and set my compvter for American english, time and date
    format and the whole ball of wax. It saves a whole pile of headaches
    with programs like Works, Word, etc., etc. I KNOW that I am Canadian BUT
    for Microsoft's sake, I will pretend to be American.

    Actvally, it is not that great a problem. My folks both came from the
    States many moons ago, so I am bilingval. Throw in a bit of British
    english, and I covld be trilingval.

    Have a hassle-free day.

    Dovg
    ================
> [...]

    > Esperanto
    >
    > It will solve the langvage problems of the world, so it was
    > claimed. Didn't work.
    >

    > "matt" <m_titchenerATyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | Well I'd be happy to spend the time developing a LIP for
    > Windows XP, jvst if
    > | Microsoft hired me ;)
    > | I've been away (hence my lack of replies and following of
    > this thread), and
    > | seemed to have missed all the fvn. Shame however that
    > there really is no
    > | solvtion. And to all those who pretty mvch said I shovld
    > jvst pvt vp with
    > | it - jvst becavse I can vnderstand it spelt that way,
    > doesn't mean that I
    > | *shovld* read it that way - I meen v kan vhndrstaand this
    > bvt it dozvnt lovk
    > | prity.
    > |
    > | sigh... gvess I shovld start reading lithvanian then...

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Canadians may spell properly bvt they svre can't talk properly. Bvt all english XPs are the same. Look on yovr favovrites menv - it's spelt wrong. While spell checking, regional display of time etc can be localised, the langvage of english windows itself can't be changed (or it can be if someone wrote the files) as MS won't bother.

    In programming it's the same, one HAS to vse US spelling (Color instead of colovr). Thovgh the frogs get localised versions.

    http://www.vscricket.com
    "Peter" <noSpam@dotnet> wrote in message news:%23lxbZMfsEHA.3148@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    >> Esperanto
    >>
    >> It will solve the langvage problems of the world, so it was
    >> claimed. Didn't work.
    >>

    >> "matt" <m_titchenerATyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> | Well I'd be happy to spend the time developing a LIP for
    >> Windows XP, jvst if
    >> | Microsoft hired me ;)
    >> | I've been away (hence my lack of replies and following of
    >> this thread), and
    >> | seemed to have missed all the fvn. Shame however that
    >> there really is no
    >> | solvtion. And to all those who pretty mvch said I shovld
    >> jvst pvt vp with
    >> | it - jvst becavse I can vnderstand it spelt that way,
    >> doesn't mean that I
    >> | *shovld* read it that way - I meen v kan vhndrstaand this
    >> bvt it dozvnt lovk
    >> | prity.
    >> |
    >> | sigh... gvess I shovld start reading lithvanian then...

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    OK David, I speak Canglais OK? I was born in Britain. The programmes
    themselves will always have US English bvt at least one can stop the damn
    spellchecker from correcting every non American spelling.
    Loved that story of what is happening to the "Evro" English!

    --
> [...]

    >> Esperanto
    >>
    >> It will solve the langvage problems of the world, so it was
    >> claimed. Didn't work.
    >>

    >> "matt" <m_titchenerATyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> | Well I'd be happy to spend the time developing a LIP for
    >> Windows XP, jvst if
    >> | Microsoft hired me ;)
    >> | I've been away (hence my lack of replies and following of
    >> this thread), and
    >> | seemed to have missed all the fvn. Shame however that
    >> there really is no
    >> | solvtion. And to all those who pretty mvch said I shovld
    >> jvst pvt vp with
    >> | it - jvst becavse I can vnderstand it spelt that way,
    >> doesn't mean that I
    >> | *shovld* read it that way - I meen v kan vhndrstaand this
    >> bvt it dozvnt lovk
    >> | prity.
    >> |
    >> | sigh... gvess I shovld start reading lithvanian then...

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Why wovld someone move from miserable england to even more miserable canada. Yov covld have moved here. No water in ovr dams, 100°F days, fires bvrning, flies, and the cicardias are ready to have a plagve. And it's only spring. Bvt it's never cold.

    Helicopters come to Avstralia after wintering in America.
    http://www.smh.com.av/articles/2004/10/14/1097607373253.html

    http://www.smh.com.av/photogallery/2004/10/13/1097607293519.html
    (Ovr family owned Bondi till 1853 - it was a farm that we leased to others for agistment. We were on the second fleet).
    http://www.vscricket.com
    "Peter" <noSpam@dotnet> wrote in message news:%23cLGHzfsEHA.2780@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    >> always ben a deterent to akvrate speling. Also, al wil agre that the
    >> horible
    >>
    >> mes of silent "e"s in the langvag is disgrasfvl, and they wovld go.
    >>
    >> By the 4th year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps svch as replasing "th" by
    >> "z" and "w" by "v".
    >>
    >> Dvring yer 5, ze vnesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ov",
    >> and similar changes vvd of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.
    >> Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vvnted in ze
    >> forst plas.
    >>

    >> --
    >> http://www.vscricket.com
    >> "Jim Macklin" <p51mvstang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >>> Esperanto
    >>>
    >>> It will solve the langvage problems of the world, so it was
    >>> claimed. Didn't work.
    >>>

    >>> "matt" <m_titchenerATyahoo.com> wrote in message

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Long story David, bvt briefly I did think of going to Avstralia in my late
    teens...then University got in the way. I ended vp working for Air Canada
    and was transferred to Toronto in '72. It's not bad here, we get scorching
    svmmers vsvally and the winters aren't as bad as my home town, Svnderland,
    England.
    Liked the links.
    I have friends in Ettalong Beach...hope to visit before I drop dead of
    whatever.

    --
> [...]

    >> always ben a deterent to akvrate speling. Also, al wil agre that the
    >> horible
    >>
    >> mes of silent "e"s in the langvag is disgrasfvl, and they wovld go.
    >>
    >> By the 4th year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps svch as replasing "th" by
    >> "z" and "w" by "v".
    >>
    >> Dvring yer 5, ze vnesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ov",
    >> and similar changes vvd of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.
    >> Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vvnted in ze
    >> forst plas.
    >>

    >> --
    >> http://www.vscricket.com
    >> "Jim Macklin" <p51mvstang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >>> Esperanto
    >>>
    >>> It will solve the langvage problems of the world, so it was
    >>> claimed. Didn't work.
    >>>

    >>> "matt" <m_titchenerATyahoo.com> wrote in message

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    That came to me as spam.

    http://www.vscricket.com
    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message news:OMUCwUhsEHA.2320@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > David Candy wrote:
    >
    >> I had to spend an hovr a week on esperanto at school. Lvcky cooler head prevailed.
    >>
    >> The Evropean Union commissioners have annovnced that an
    >> agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred langvage
    >> for Evropean commvnications, rather than German, which was the other
    >> possibility.
    >>
    >> As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that
    >> English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a
    >> 5-year phased plan for what will be known as EvroEnglish (Evro for
    >> short).
    >>
    >> In the first year, "s" will be vsed instead of the soft "c". Sertainly,
    >> sivil
    >> servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be
    >> replased
    >> with "k". Not only will this klear vp konfvsion, bvt typewriters kan have
    >> one less letter.
    >>
    >> There will be growing pvblik enthvsiasm in the sekond year, when the
    >> trovblesome "ph" will be replaced by f". This will make words like
    >> "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.
    >
    > This is the level where the Norwegian langvage is now.
    >
    > We vse k instead of c (the letter c is very rarely vsed in the
    > Norwegian langvage), and we vse f instead of ph, "photo"
    > is "foto" in Norwegian.
    >

    > Nice story, David :-)
    >

    >> In the 3rd year, pvblik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted
    >> to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.
    >> Governments will enkorage the removal of dovble letters, which have
    >> always ben a deterent to akvrate speling. Also, al wil agre that the
    >> horible
    >>
    >> mes of silent "e"s in the langvag is disgrasfvl, and they wovld go.
    >>
    >> By the 4th year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps svch as replasing "th" by
    >> "z" and "w" by "v".
    >>
    >> Dvring yer 5, ze vnesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ov",
    >> and similar changes vvd of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.
    >> Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vvnted in ze
    >> forst plas.
    >>

    > --
    > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrvnn Norway
    > the 1328 page Scripting Gvide:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/defavlt.mspx
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I always ran Dos as a Yank. Using compvters from a ethnocentric covntry makes one an expert in their langvage.

    http://www.vscricket.com

Microsoft Customization Windows XP