[Q] How to list files in an installed software package

Hi,

I have a very simple question: When I click a setup.exe file on a CD disk,
my win2k3 will start to launch the setup process to install the software
package. Once the software package has been installed, I would like to know
where and also be able to list the files from the installed software
package. How does one do that and with what utilities? A couple of days ago,
I went to visit a friend who managed a small LAN with a cluster of 60
Linux/Unix machines. He showed me using the RedHad package manager (RPM)
software, i.e. rpm -ql installed-software-package-name, to list what/where
the installed files are. He also showed me how he could list the content of
the software package, i.e. rpm -qpl software-package-name. Can I do these on
my Win2k3 server? If so how?

--
Mazi
4 answers Last reply

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:34:24 GMT, "!SpamMe" <a@b.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a very simple question: When I click a setup.exe file on a CD disk,
    >my win2k3 will start to launch the setup process to install the software
    >package. Once the software package has been installed, I would like to know
    >where and also be able to list the files from the installed software
    >package. How does one do that and with what utilities? A couple of days ago,
    >I went to visit a friend who managed a small LAN with a cluster of 60
    >Linux/Unix machines. He showed me using the RedHad package manager (RPM)
    >software, i.e. rpm -ql installed-software-package-name, to list what/where
    >the installed files are. He also showed me how he could list the content of
    >the software package, i.e. rpm -qpl software-package-name. Can I do these on
    >my Win2k3 server? If so how?

    Download Installation Monitor from tip 3714 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
    http://www.jsiinc.com

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows: General MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Hi Mazi,

    Thanks for your posting here and thanks for Jerold's reply.

    You can also download Installation Monitor from the following web site.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/instaler
    -o.asp

    Have a nice day!

    Regards,
    Bob Qin
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    From: "!SpamMe" <a@b.com>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
    Subject: [Q] How to list files in an installed software package
    Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:34:24 GMT
    Hi,

[...]

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:34:24 GMT, "!SpamMe" <a@b.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I have a very simple question: When I click a setup.exe file on a CD
    disk,
    > >my win2k3 will start to launch the setup process to install the software
    > >package. Once the software package has been installed, I would like to
    know
    > >where and also be able to list the files from the installed software
    > >package. How does one do that and with what utilities? A couple of days
    ago,
    > >I went to visit a friend who managed a small LAN with a cluster of 60
    > >Linux/Unix machines. He showed me using the RedHad package manager (RPM)
    > >software, i.e. rpm -ql installed-software-package-name, to list
    what/where
    > >the installed files are. He also showed me how he could list the content
    of
    > >the software package, i.e. rpm -qpl software-package-name. Can I do these
    on
    > >my Win2k3 server? If so how?
    >
    > Download Installation Monitor from tip 3714 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
    > http://www.jsiinc.com
    >
    > Jerold Schulman
    > Windows: General MVP
    > JSI, Inc.
    > http://www.jsiinc.com

    Thanks for the information. I went to download/install the package, and here
    is what I found:

    1. "instaler" gives the following errors:
    C:\>instaler "microsoft tool web package: INSTALLER.EXE"
    F:\instaler_setup.exe
    QueryDosDeviceW( NULL ) failed (122)

    2. The "showinst" expects a .iml file for the software package that I tried
    to list its contents, and it complains with the following error messages:

    C:\>showinst "Windows Messenger" -c
    SHOWINST: Unable to open 'C:\Program Files\Windows ResKits\Tools\Windows
    Messenger.IML' (2)

    Also, I read the "instaler_d.htm" to look for the examples, and neither
    "instaler", "showinst", nor "undoinst" could do what the RPM can on a Linux
    based machine unless I did something wrong as shown above. Are we that
    cripple, i.e. can't even do a simple task, when it comes to software package
    management?

    I just wish the appwiz.cpl will have such a capability to perform a simple
    task to show what files get installed to which drive/directory from each
    package.

    --
    Mazi
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Hi Mazi,

    You can try a third party software, InstallWatch. It is free and you can
    download it from the following web site.

    http://www.epsilonsquared.com/

    Disclaimer :

    This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site.
    Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft
    does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information
    found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations
    regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
    information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
    software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
    that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from
    the Internet.

    Best regards,

    From: "!SpamMe" <a@b.com>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
    Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:43:40 GMT

> [...]

    to list its contents, and it complains with the following error
    messages:

    C:\>showinst "Windows Messenger" -c
    SHOWINST: Unable to open 'C:\Program Files\Windows
    ResKits\Tools\Windows
    Messenger.IML' (2)

    Also, I read the "instaler_d.htm" to look for the examples, and
    neither
    "instaler", "showinst", nor "undoinst" could do what the RPM can on a
    Linux
    based machine unless I did something wrong as shown above. Are we that
    cripple, i.e. can't even do a simple task, when it comes to software
    package
    management?

    I just wish the appwiz.cpl will have such a capability to perform a
    simple
    task to show what files get installed to which drive/directory from

Software Servers Windows