LAN icon on systray?

Hi,

I have just finished setting up a new win2k3 enterprise server and to my
surprise, ipconfig has shown the server is connected to the Internet/LAN
with a dynamic IP address assigned from a DHCP server. I would like to
change the dynamic IP address to a static IP address; however, there is no
icon on the system tray for the LAN part. Is there a way to do this instead
of removing the already created Internet/LAN connection. Also, the Network
Connections in Control Panel has no entry (i.e. empty folder).

Also, I launched "Internet Properties" and tried to create/setup a new
connection through the "New Connection Wizard", and after selecting the
proper options the Finished button yielded no results.

--
Mazi

See if this one helps you.

Some Network and Dial-Up Connections Icons May Be Missing
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=254631

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"!SpamMe" wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I have just finished setting up a new win2k3 enterprise server and to my
| surprise, ipconfig has shown the server is connected to the Internet/LAN
| with a dynamic IP address assigned from a DHCP server. I would like to
| change the dynamic IP address to a static IP address; however, there is no
| icon on the system tray for the LAN part. Is there a way to do this
instead
| of removing the already created Internet/LAN connection. Also, the Network
| Connections in Control Panel has no entry (i.e. empty folder).
|
| Also, I launched "Internet Properties" and tried to create/setup a new
| connection through the "New Connection Wizard", and after selecting the
| proper options the Finished button yielded no results.
|
| --
| Mazi

Thank you for all that replied to my inquiry through this post. After
reading the suggestion from the MSFT support site as shown below, I realized
it would be better and easier just to re-install the NIC driver and solved
the problem.

--
Mazi

"Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> See if this one helps you.
>
> Some Network and Dial-Up Connections Icons May Be Missing
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=254631
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "!SpamMe" wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I have just finished setting up a new win2k3 enterprise server and to my
> | surprise, ipconfig has shown the server is connected to the Internet/LAN
> | with a dynamic IP address assigned from a DHCP server. I would like to
> | change the dynamic IP address to a static IP address; however, there is
no
> | icon on the system tray for the LAN part. Is there a way to do this
> instead
> | of removing the already created Internet/LAN connection. Also, the
Network
> | Connections in Control Panel has no entry (i.e. empty folder).
> |
> | Also, I launched "Internet Properties" and tried to create/setup a new
> | connection through the "New Connection Wizard", and after selecting the
> | proper options the Finished button yielded no results.
> |
> | --
> | Mazi

Hi Mazi,

Thank you for posting!

Would you like to try the below steps to enable the icon on the
notification area (system tray)?

1. Click Start, point to Control Panel
2. Double click the Network Connections icon.
3. Right click the connection icon (for example, Local Area Connection)
4. Choose Properties from the context menu
5. Mark the option Show icon in notification area when connected
6. Click OK button. Now you will have the LAN icon on the systray.

Have a nice day!

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "!SpamMe" <a@b.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
| Subject: LAN icon on systray?
| Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:23:56 GMT
|
| Hi,
|
| I have just finished setting up a new win2k3 enterprise server and to my
| surprise, ipconfig has shown the server is connected to the Internet/LAN
| with a dynamic IP address assigned from a DHCP server. I would like to
| change the dynamic IP address to a static IP address; however, there is no
| icon on the system tray for the LAN part. Is there a way to do this
instead
| of removing the already created Internet/LAN connection. Also, the Network
| Connections in Control Panel has no entry (i.e. empty folder).
|
| Also, I launched "Internet Properties" and tried to create/setup a new
| connection through the "New Connection Wizard", and after selecting the
| proper options the Finished button yielded no results.
|
| --
| Mazi

Hi Feng Mao,

It is good to hear from you again. Unfortunately, that was the first step I
tried to noavail. If you see my other post, I have this problem fixed by
just re-installing the driver from the NIC package, instead of using the
default NIC driver from Win2k3 CD. Now, I have the icon on the system tray
and the NIC has been manually assigned with a static IP address.

--
Mazi

"Feng Mao" <fengmao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Mazi,
>
> Thank you for posting!
>
> Would you like to try the below steps to enable the icon on the
> notification area (system tray)?
>
> 1. Click Start, point to Control Panel
> 2. Double click the Network Connections icon.
> 3. Right click the connection icon (for example, Local Area Connection)
> 4. Choose Properties from the context menu
> 5. Mark the option Show icon in notification area when connected
> 6. Click OK button. Now you will have the LAN icon on the systray.
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

rights.
> --------------------
> | From: "!SpamMe" <a@b.com>
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
> | Subject: LAN icon on systray?
> | Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:23:56 GMT

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!w
> ns13feed!worldnet.att.net!attbi_s02.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
> |
> | Hi,
> |
> | I have just finished setting up a new win2k3 enterprise server and to my
> | surprise, ipconfig has shown the server is connected to the Internet/LAN
> | with a dynamic IP address assigned from a DHCP server. I would like to
> | change the dynamic IP address to a static IP address; however, there is
no
> | icon on the system tray for the LAN part. Is there a way to do this
> instead
> | of removing the already created Internet/LAN connection. Also, the
Network
> | Connections in Control Panel has no entry (i.e. empty folder).
> |
> | Also, I launched "Internet Properties" and tried to create/setup a new
> | connection through the "New Connection Wizard", and after selecting the
> | proper options the Finished button yielded no results.
> |
> | --
> | Mazi

Hi Mazi,

I am glad to hear that you have solved the problem by reinstalling the
driver.

Please feel free to post any question in the future!

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "!SpamMe" <a@b.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
| Subject: Re: LAN icon on systray?
| Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 12:43:06 GMT
|
| Hi Feng Mao,
|
| It is good to hear from you again. Unfortunately, that was the first step
| tried to noavail. If you see my other post, I have this problem fixed by
| just re-installing the driver from the NIC package, instead of using the
| default NIC driver from Win2k3 CD. Now, I have the icon on the system tray
| and the NIC has been manually assigned with a static IP address.
|
| --
| Mazi
|

| "Feng Mao" <fengmao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Hi Mazi,
| >
| > Thank you for posting!
| >
| > Would you like to try the below steps to enable the icon on the
| > notification area (system tray)?
| >
| > 1. Click Start, point to Control Panel
| > 2. Double click the Network Connections icon.
| > 3. Right click the connection icon (for example, Local Area Connection)
| > 4. Choose Properties from the context menu
| > 5. Mark the option Show icon in notification area when connected
| > 6. Click OK button. Now you will have the LAN icon on the systray.
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: "!SpamMe" <a@b.com>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
| > | Subject: LAN icon on systray?
| > | Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:23:56 GMT

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!w
| > ns13feed!worldnet.att.net!attbi_s02.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I have just finished setting up a new win2k3 enterprise server and to
my
| > | surprise, ipconfig has shown the server is connected to the
Internet/LAN
| > | with a dynamic IP address assigned from a DHCP server. I would like to
| > | change the dynamic IP address to a static IP address; however, there
is
| no
| > | icon on the system tray for the LAN part. Is there a way to do this
| > instead
| > | of removing the already created Internet/LAN connection. Also, the
| Network
| > | Connections in Control Panel has no entry (i.e. empty folder).
| > |
| > | Also, I launched "Internet Properties" and tried to create/setup a new
| > | connection through the "New Connection Wizard", and after selecting
the
| > | proper options the Finished button yielded no results.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Mazi
| > |