What the heck is Bal Isra?

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
November 9, 2004 1:55:19 AM

I found this area to the west of Ald'ruhn, which is apparently important
enough to mark with a big yellow square on the world map, but I searched it
up and down, and there's absolutely NOTHING there. Not even a minor cave,
or an egg mine, or a tomb. Not even a campfire. A bunch of hills, some
Cliff Racers and a Kagouti or two, and that's it. I even searched the 8
surrounding cells and found nothing at all of interest. Am I to assume that
something happens there later in the game? If so, just say that's what it
is and don't tell me what. Don't want a major spoiler. Just curious why
they chose to mark a location on the world map which is pretty much a barren
wasteland...

(I wish I could place markers on the world map, and not just the local map.
That would be SO helpful sometimes. Even better is if you could make the
world map in the game look like the paper map in the box. As it is now, it
looks like somebody ran the paper map through a paper shredder, and glued
the confetti back onto a piece of paper. You can't make out ANY details in
that mess, just random speckle patterns with a vague color shift showing
grassland vs. hills. I'd rather just use the local map all the time, if it
weren't for the fact that you can only scroll about 1 cell away from your
current location. Hey... You don't suppose somebody has written a mod
which makes the map look better, have they?)

More about : heck bal isra

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 10:26:22 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> I found this area to the west of Ald'ruhn, which is apparently important
> enough to mark with a big yellow square on the world map, but I searched it
> up and down, and there's absolutely NOTHING there. Not even a minor cave,
> or an egg mine, or a tomb. Not even a campfire. A bunch of hills, some
> Cliff Racers and a Kagouti or two, and that's it. I even searched the 8
> surrounding cells and found nothing at all of interest. Am I to assume that
> something happens there later in the game? If so, just say that's what it
> is and don't tell me what. Don't want a major spoiler. Just curious why
> they chose to mark a location on the world map which is pretty much a barren
> wasteland...
>
> (I wish I could place markers on the world map, and not just the local map.
> That would be SO helpful sometimes. Even better is if you could make the
> world map in the game look like the paper map in the box. As it is now, it
> looks like somebody ran the paper map through a paper shredder, and glued
> the confetti back onto a piece of paper. You can't make out ANY details in
> that mess, just random speckle patterns with a vague color shift showing
> grassland vs. hills. I'd rather just use the local map all the time, if it
> weren't for the fact that you can only scroll about 1 cell away from your
> current location. Hey... You don't suppose somebody has written a mod
> which makes the map look better, have they?)

There are a number of mods that improve the quality of the map

I'm using Darker morrowind and highly recommend if you like a slightly
darker forboding game.
(it's a pretty hefty texture replacement :)  )
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 10:38:54 AM

> There are a number of mods that improve the quality of the map
>
> I'm using Darker morrowind and highly recommend if you like a slightly
> darker forboding game.
> (it's a pretty hefty texture replacement :)  )

Nah, I don't want darker. I just want to be able to READ the map. The
world map is pretty much just a jumble of random pixels by default, you
can't pick out geological distinctions or anything. Other than the
coastline, there's pretty much no useful information given by the picture
they used. I'm tempted to scan in the paper map and figure out how to mod
the thing myself, only I'd be surprised if somebody hadn't already thought
of that and done it by now...
November 9, 2004 10:46:45 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> I found this area to the west of Ald'ruhn, which is apparently important
> enough to mark with a big yellow square on the world map, but I searched it
> up and down, and there's absolutely NOTHING there. Not even a minor cave,
> or an egg mine, or a tomb. Not even a campfire. A bunch of hills, some
> Cliff Racers and a Kagouti or two, and that's it. I even searched the 8
> surrounding cells and found nothing at all of interest. Am I to assume that
> something happens there later in the game? If so, just say that's what it
> is and don't tell me what. Don't want a major spoiler. Just curious why
> they chose to mark a location on the world map which is pretty much a barren
> wasteland...

It's the eventual location of your stronghold, should you
decide to join House Redoran and advance far enough to rate
the stronghold; and yes, it's a bit odd that it should get
it's own map designation.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 6:27:06 PM

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:55:19 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>I found this area to the west of Ald'ruhn, which is apparently important
>enough to mark with a big yellow square on the world map, but I searched it
>up and down, and there's absolutely NOTHING there. Not even a minor cave,
>or an egg mine, or a tomb. Not even a campfire. A bunch of hills, some
>Cliff Racers and a Kagouti or two, and that's it. I even searched the 8
>surrounding cells and found nothing at all of interest. Am I to assume that
>something happens there later in the game? If so, just say that's what it
>is and don't tell me what. Don't want a major spoiler. Just curious why
>they chose to mark a location on the world map which is pretty much a barren
>wasteland...

Yes, something happens when you advance to a certain rank in any of the
Great Houses.
!