error checking on cluster drive

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 1, 2004 4:26:06 PM

I have errors on one of the drives in my cluster. I know
that I can run error checking on the drive by right
clicking it, and go to tools and error checking. This
wants to run it during the next re-start. This is my
question. I have to move the groups in cluster
administrator to my other server before I do a re-boot on
the server that has control of the cluster drives. If I
do that, and reboot the server that I setup the error-
checking to run on; what will it check since the other
server has control of the cluster now? I need to do an
error check to repair some errors, and I can't seem to
find out how to do that.

Thanks
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 8:40:45 PM

Hello,

I would not recommend running "Error-Checking" from Tools of the properties
of the actual disk, instead I would use the steps outlined in the article
below:

176970 How to Run the CHKDSK /F Command on a Shared Cluster Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=176970

With this in mind, you can also run in to issues outlined in the articles
below:

198513 Clustering Cannot Determine If a Shared Disk Is Working Properly
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=198513

321939 CHKDSK May Be Initiated If There Are Open Handles When a Cluster Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321939

265533 Explanation of Chkdsk Status Codes in Cluster Log
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=265533

--
Hope this helps,
Mike Rosado

<http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm&gt;

Delighting customers is our top priority. We welcome your valuable comments
and suggestions about how to improve the service we provide you. So if you
would like provided us feedback, feel free to e-mail my manager Brian
Pennington then click on the following e-mail hyperlink with a short
statement with regards to your Online support experience
<mailto:BPenning@microsoft.com?subject=Newsgroup_Experience&body=Brian,>.
Thank you.

> I have errors on one of the drives in my cluster. I know
> that I can run error checking on the drive by right
> clicking it, and go to tools and error checking. This
> wants to run it during the next re-start. This is my
> question. I have to move the groups in cluster
> administrator to my other server before I do a re-boot on
> the server that has control of the cluster drives. If I
> do that, and reboot the server that I setup the error-
> checking to run on; what will it check since the other
> server has control of the cluster now? I need to do an
> error check to repair some errors, and I can't seem to
> find out how to do that.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 11:03:54 AM

Hello,

I have a question regarding step 1 on article 176970

What are non-cluster aware service?

Thanks

your newsreader so
>that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

confers no rights.

wrote in message
>> I have errors on one of the drives in my cluster. I
know
>> that I can run error checking on the drive by right
>> clicking it, and go to tools and error checking. This
>> wants to run it during the next re-start. This is my
>> question. I have to move the groups in cluster
>> administrator to my other server before I do a re-boot
on
>> the server that has control of the cluster drives. If
>> do that, and reboot the server that I setup the error-
>> checking to run on; what will it check since the other
>> server has control of the cluster now? I need to do an
>> error check to repair some errors, and I can't seem to
>> find out how to do that.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>.

September 3, 2004 8:12:30 PM

Those would be third party services or application installed on the actual
physical node of the cluster that are not configured in Cluster
Administrator.

--
Hope this helps,
Mike Rosado
Windows 2000 MCSE + MCDBA
Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
Windows NT/2000/2003 Cluster Technologies

<http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm&gt;

Delighting customers is our top priority. We welcome your valuable comments
and suggestions about how to improve the service we provide you. So if you
would like provided us feedback, feel free to e-mail my manager Brian
Pennington then click on the following e-mail hyperlink with a short
statement with regards to your Online support experience
<mailto:BPenning@microsoft.com?subject=Newsgroup_Experience&body=Brian,>.
Thank you.

> I have a question regarding step 1 on article 176970
>
> What are non-cluster aware service?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 10:24:11 AM

Thanks for all of your help Mike. I did it this weekend
and it went great!

wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question regarding step 1 on article 176970
>>
>> What are non-cluster aware service?
>>
>> Thanks

and

!