error checking on cluster drive

I have errors on one of the drives in my cluster. I know
that I can run error checking on the drive by right
clicking it, and go to tools and error checking. This
wants to run it during the next re-start. This is my
question. I have to move the groups in cluster
administrator to my other server before I do a re-boot on
the server that has control of the cluster drives. If I
do that, and reboot the server that I setup the error-
checking to run on; what will it check since the other
server has control of the cluster now? I need to do an
error check to repair some errors, and I can't seem to
find out how to do that.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about error checking cluster drive

    Hello,

    I would not recommend running "Error-Checking" from Tools of the properties
    of the actual disk, instead I would use the steps outlined in the article
    below:

    176970 How to Run the CHKDSK /F Command on a Shared Cluster Disk
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=176970

    With this in mind, you can also run in to issues outlined in the articles
    below:

    198513 Clustering Cannot Determine If a Shared Disk Is Working Properly
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=198513

    321939 CHKDSK May Be Initiated If There Are Open Handles When a Cluster Disk
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321939

    265533 Explanation of Chkdsk Status Codes in Cluster Log
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=265533

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Mike Rosado

    <http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>

    Delighting customers is our top priority. We welcome your valuable comments
    and suggestions about how to improve the service we provide you. So if you
    would like provided us feedback, feel free to e-mail my manager Brian
    Pennington then click on the following e-mail hyperlink with a short
    statement with regards to your Online support experience
    <mailto:BPenning@microsoft.com?subject=Newsgroup_Experience&body=Brian,>.
    Thank you.

    > I have errors on one of the drives in my cluster. I know
    > that I can run error checking on the drive by right
    > clicking it, and go to tools and error checking. This
    > wants to run it during the next re-start. This is my
    > question. I have to move the groups in cluster
    > administrator to my other server before I do a re-boot on
    > the server that has control of the cluster drives. If I
    > do that, and reboot the server that I setup the error-
    > checking to run on; what will it check since the other
    > server has control of the cluster now? I need to do an
    > error check to repair some errors, and I can't seem to
    > find out how to do that.
    >
    > Thanks

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Hello,

    I have a question regarding step 1 on article 176970

    What are non-cluster aware service?

    Thanks

    your newsreader so

    wrote in message
    >> I have errors on one of the drives in my cluster. I
    know
    >> that I can run error checking on the drive by right
    >> clicking it, and go to tools and error checking. This
    >> wants to run it during the next re-start. This is my
    >> question. I have to move the groups in cluster
    >> administrator to my other server before I do a re-boot
    on
    >> the server that has control of the cluster drives. If
    >> do that, and reboot the server that I setup the error-
    >> checking to run on; what will it check since the other
    >> server has control of the cluster now? I need to do an
    >> error check to repair some errors, and I can't seem to
    >> find out how to do that.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Those would be third party services or application installed on the actual
    physical node of the cluster that are not configured in Cluster
    Administrator.

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Mike Rosado
    Windows 2000 MCSE + MCDBA
    Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
    Windows NT/2000/2003 Cluster Technologies

    <http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>

    Delighting customers is our top priority. We welcome your valuable comments
    and suggestions about how to improve the service we provide you. So if you
    would like provided us feedback, feel free to e-mail my manager Brian
    Pennington then click on the following e-mail hyperlink with a short
    statement with regards to your Online support experience
    <mailto:BPenning@microsoft.com?subject=Newsgroup_Experience&body=Brian,>.
    Thank you.

    > I have a question regarding step 1 on article 176970
    >
    > What are non-cluster aware service?
    >
    > Thanks

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Thanks for all of your help Mike. I did it this weekend
    and it went great!

    wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a question regarding step 1 on article 176970
    >>
    >> What are non-cluster aware service?
    >>
    >> Thanks

Servers Microsoft Windows