Installing Advanced Server 2000/Configuring Active Directory

I work for a non-profit organization/volunteer group and because we are
short on funds, I have to attempt to install our new server(which HP kindly
donated) on my own...
We have an old server running with NT 4.0 and Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5
Enterprise Edition. I am setting up our new server in another office, down
the hall, just until I know I set everything up correctly, then I will remove
the old server and put the new one in its place. I have installed Advanced
Server 2000 onto the new server already. I have also, logged onto the network
and same domain that the old sever is currently running on. However, the new
server will not allow me to install Exchange Server 5.5 Enterprise Edition
from the disc because it states that "the computer (new server) must be on a
Windows NT domain". But, the new server is logged onto the same domain as the
old server. Plus, the new server will not allow me to activate Active
Directory(I'm not sure, but I think I need to do this). What am I doing wrong
or forgetting to do? Please help. Our old server is constantly crashing and
it effects our day-to-day procedures with our volunteer groups.

Eric, to move a domain from NT to 2000 you have 2 options ADMT (migration)
or an Upgrade.
ADMT is nomally a bit more involved than necessary for a smaller
environment.

For the upgrade route you will need to upgrade the NT4 PDC to Windows 2000.
Since the original machine seems to have problems I would suggest you
install NT4 on the new server as a BDC, let the new DC sync with the domain
so it has all the users/computers and such. Promote the new machine to be
the DC.
Run the Windows 2000 install.
This will install 2000 then have you go thru the DCpromo wizard to make it a
DC.
325379 How to upgrade Windows 2000 domain controllers to Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325379

--
James Brandt [MSFT]

"Eric31" <Eric31@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I work for a non-profit organization/volunteer group and because we are
> short on funds, I have to attempt to install our new server(which HP
> kindly
> donated) on my own...
> We have an old server running with NT 4.0 and Microsoft Exchange Server
> 5.5
> Enterprise Edition. I am setting up our new server in another office, down
> the hall, just until I know I set everything up correctly, then I will
> remove
> the old server and put the new one in its place. I have installed Advanced
> Server 2000 onto the new server already. I have also, logged onto the
> network
> and same domain that the old sever is currently running on. However, the
> new
> server will not allow me to install Exchange Server 5.5 Enterprise Edition
> from the disc because it states that "the computer (new server) must be on
> Windows NT domain". But, the new server is logged onto the same domain as
> the
> old server. Plus, the new server will not allow me to activate Active
> Directory(I'm not sure, but I think I need to do this). What am I doing
> wrong
> or forgetting to do? Please help. Our old server is constantly crashing
> and
> it effects our day-to-day procedures with our volunteer groups.

TRENDING THREADS