Moving drives to a different machine

sunny

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi,
sorry for the crosspost, but I can't figure out which is the appropriate
group.

So, I have a working windows 2000 advanced server. I need to move the
HDDs to a new box. Before I do this, I need some advice how to proceed,
as the new box has different SCSI and RAID controller. I need to keep
the running configuration.

So, the question is how to update the drivers, so the installation will
run on the new box.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Sunny

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Not a fun process but here are the steps.

249694 How to move a Windows 2000 installation to different hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694

--
James Brandt [MSFT]

"Sunny" <sunny@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
> sorry for the crosspost, but I can't figure out which is the appropriate
> group.
>
> So, I have a working windows 2000 advanced server. I need to move the
> HDDs to a new box. Before I do this, I need some advice how to proceed,
> as the new box has different SCSI and RAID controller. I need to keep
> the running configuration.
>
> So, the question is how to update the drivers, so the installation will
> run on the new box.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Cheers
> Sunny

sunny

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Thanks for the reply.

The two machines are mostly the same - I.e. different CPUs and the other
difference is only the RAID controller. I was hoping, that there is a
way to install the driver before the move, and then everything should be
fine. I have the manufacturers diskette with the driver, but I do not
know how to install it.

When you make a new install, one can hit F6 to load additional driver,
but I do not know if it is possible during a bootup. Or if I can install
it even if I do not have that hardware, and after moving the drivers, it
will detect and use the correct one? Or this is not possible and I have
to follow all that long procedure?

Thanks
Sunny

In article <OmuEsWIkEHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
jabrandt@online.microsoft.com says...
> Not a fun process but here are the steps.
>
> 249694 How to move a Windows 2000 installation to different hardware
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694

Check out this article

How to move a Windows 2000 installation to different hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=249694

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic