Laminating an A4 Printed Photo. Will it last longer fading..

Can you put a light filter or somthing ontop of the photo to stop
fading ???

Iam going to use a Pixma I8500 Canon to do the printing.

Thanks.
10 answers Last reply
More about laminating printed photo longer fading

    "On Holidays" <abbyrow.com.uk> wrote in message

    > Can you put a light filter or somthing ontop of the photo to stop
    > fading ???
    >
    > Iam going to use a Pixma I8500 Canon to do the printing.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes - depending on the laminate you use. There is the risk that the plastic
    you use could off-gas and cause fading itself.

    "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "On Holidays" <abbyrow.com.uk> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Can you put a light filter or somthing ontop of the photo to stop
    > > fading ???
    > >
    > > Iam going to use a Pixma I8500 Canon to do the printing.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > Yes - depending on the laminate you use. There is the risk that the
    plastic
    > you use could off-gas and cause fading itself.

    ... but who likes to look at laminated photos? Tacky of what. Mount it behind
    glass in a decent frame or in an album. You can also get acid free paper or
    mylar sleeve designed for archival storage.

    Yes, even simply framers glass will reduce fading.

    Better still are some UV filtering glasses and plastics, and also some
    types of sprays and lacquers.

    Also, be aware that some papers hold ink dyes better than others.

    Art

    On Holidays wrote:

    > Can you put a light filter or somthing ontop of the photo to stop
    > fading ???
    >
    > Iam going to use a Pixma I8500 Canon to do the printing.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Laminates usually are composed of more thermal adhesive by thickness and
    weight than plastic. The problem is those adhesives vary quite a bit in
    their chemical make up and so the way they will react with the colorants
    is not well studied.

    Art

    Caitlin wrote:

    > "On Holidays" <abbyrow.com.uk> wrote in message
    >

    >>Can you put a light filter or somthing ontop of the photo to stop
    >>fading ???
    >>
    >>Iam going to use a Pixma I8500 Canon to do the printing.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    > Yes - depending on the laminate you use. There is the risk that the plastic
    > you use could off-gas and cause fading itself.

    A well applied laminate can look as good as a high gloss, silk, semi
    matte or matte photographic surface. Framing behind glass is great, if
    the person is after framing behind glass. However, if they have another
    look or design in mind, laminate, at least from the POV of the look, can
    be fine. Whether it will successfully protect the image from fading, or
    hold up against yellowing, is still another issue.

    Art

    "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > A well applied laminate can look as good as a high gloss, silk, semi
    > matte or matte photographic surface.

    Ok. Perhaps I've never seen good quality laminating. All those I've seen
    have had or developed tiny white bubbles.

    On Holidays wrote:

    > Can you put a light filter or somthing ontop of the photo to stop
    > fading ???
    >
    > Iam going to use a Pixma I8500 Canon to do the printing.

    OH-

    Mounting behind glass, laminating and spray-coating are ways to reduce the
    effects of UV. However, there is still UV getting through, and you only
    reduce the process a relatively small amount.

    Suppose a print fades to an unacceptable level after a week of exposure to
    direct sunlight. By "protecting" it, you may extend that to eight or ten
    days.

    Your printer should produce longer-lasting prints than this, but the
    increase will be about the same percentage. With longer lasting colors,
    you then need to consider the paper's effects on print life.

    If you are serious about optimizing your print life, do some experiments
    and see just how fast various combinations fade.

    Fred

    "Fred McKenzie" <fmmck@aol.com> wrote in message
    > On Holidays wrote:
    >
    >> Can you put a light filter or somthing ontop of the photo to stop
    >> fading ???
    >>
    >> Iam going to use a Pixma I8500 Canon to do the printing.
    >
    > OH-
    >
    > Mounting behind glass, laminating and spray-coating are ways to reduce the
    > effects of UV. However, there is still UV getting through, and you only
    > reduce the process a relatively small amount.
    >
    > Suppose a print fades to an unacceptable level after a week of exposure to
    > direct sunlight. By "protecting" it, you may extend that to eight or ten
    > days.

    In fact it will increase it's life significantly more than that. But you are
    right that it will still fade.

    That is usually the result of either underheating, causing the laminate
    adhesive not to liquefy fully and therefore not to adhere to the image
    surface or overheating during the lamination process causing the
    adhesive to boil. Some papers also are not compatible with laminating
    and may separate from the adhesive even after it has cooled. Inkjet
    papers are tricky, due to the many coatings they often contain, but a
    good combination can look fine.

    Art

    CWatters wrote:

    > "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>A well applied laminate can look as good as a high gloss, silk, semi
    >>matte or matte photographic surface.
    >

    > Ok. Perhaps I've never seen good quality laminating. All those I've seen
    > have had or developed tiny white bubbles.

    In article
    <42a61390$0$27873$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>,
    "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "Fred McKenzie" <fmmck@aol.com> wrote in message

    > > Mounting behind glass, laminating and spray-coating are ways to reduce the
    > > effects of UV. However, there is still UV getting through, and you only
    > > reduce the process a relatively small amount.
    > >
    > > Suppose a print fades to an unacceptable level after a week of exposure to
    > > direct sunlight. By "protecting" it, you may extend that to eight or ten
    > > days.
    >
    > In fact it will increase it's life significantly more than that. But you are
    > right that it will still fade.

    I would expect lamination to be about as good as mounting behind glass for
    UV protection, and it would keep out air. I don't think spray-on UV
    coatings would be very effective by comparison.

    It is hard to do a test in direct sunlight around here since it rains
    quite often! A while back I did a crude test by putting three prints
    inside the rear window of my car, which sat outdoors in the Florida sun
    while I was at work. In other words, they were protected by a layer of
    glass.

    In about 1 week, the print from a Canon BJC-85 was noticeably faded. In
    about 4 weeks the print from an Epson C-60 (pre-durabrite) was faded.
    After one year, the print from an Epson Photo 2000P (pigmented ink)
    appeared to be unfaded unless you compared it with a control print that
    had been kept in the dark.

    My point is that there are other factors more critical to print life than
    a protective coating. The paper used for the print also affects life of
    the ink. In the case of my year-old prints in the hot car, their surface
    had turned to chalk, and was easily damaged by a fingernail.

    Fred

Printers Photo Peripherals