Orphaned directories, how can I delete them??

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 2, 2004 7:29:15 PM

I am stupid. I admit it !!

I have a server runing Win2K Adv. server and was running it wide open to the
internet for web stuff I was fooling around with. In the course of time some
ftp deamon or worm got into the machine and has hijacked a shared folder
that had some of the test bed stuff in. I am able to drop to a command
prompt and forcefully delete all the files (There were a few good movies in
there!!) but I cannot delete the folders that were created. some of the
folders are un-named(or are in some other file system structure) and others
have all kinds of other weird creations like "LPT1" and "COM1" to
chararcters of different kinds.

Can anyone suggest a utility to remove these ophaned directories. I remember
the old Norton commander used to take care of these things in the 8.3 world
but not sure what can do it for NTFS, I have tried a few Linux ported tools
to no avail !! There are like 21000 direcories and subs.

Any suggestions ??

Signed: thick as a brick
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 8:24:54 PM

From a command prompt try;

del \\.\Drive:\directory\filename
(Note: the period between \\ and \)

Also

dir /x
and try deleting them using their 8.3 short names.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

<randy.d@rogers.com> wrote:
|I am stupid. I admit it !!
|
| I have a server runing Win2K Adv. server and was running it wide open to
the
| internet for web stuff I was fooling around with. In the course of time
some
| ftp deamon or worm got into the machine and has hijacked a shared folder
| that had some of the test bed stuff in. I am able to drop to a command
| prompt and forcefully delete all the files (There were a few good movies
in
| there!!) but I cannot delete the folders that were created. some of the
| folders are un-named(or are in some other file system structure) and
others
| have all kinds of other weird creations like "LPT1" and "COM1" to
| chararcters of different kinds.
|
| Can anyone suggest a utility to remove these ophaned directories. I
remember
| the old Norton commander used to take care of these things in the 8.3
world
| but not sure what can do it for NTFS, I have tried a few Linux ported
tools
| to no avail !! There are like 21000 direcories and subs.
|
| Any suggestions ??
|
| Signed: thick as a brick

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 10:09:04 PM

Hi Randy,

Have dealt with customer in the past that have used this article with great
success. Give it a try and post back to the newsgroup if it help your
scenario or not.

120716 How to Remove Files with Reserved Names in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=120716

--
Hope this helps,
Mike Rosado

<http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm&gt;

Delighting customers is our top priority. We welcome your valuable comments
and suggestions about how to improve the service we provide you. So if you
would like provided us feedback, feel free to e-mail my manager Brian
Pennington then click on the following e-mail hyperlink with a short
statement with regards to your Online support experience
<mailto:BPenning@microsoft.com?subject=Newsgroup_Experience&body=Brian,>.
Thank you.

> I have a server runing Win2K Adv. server and was running it wide open to
the
> internet for web stuff I was fooling around with. In the course of time
some
> ftp deamon or worm got into the machine and has hijacked a shared folder
> that had some of the test bed stuff in. I am able to drop to a command
> prompt and forcefully delete all the files (There were a few good movies
in
> there!!) but I cannot delete the folders that were created. some of the
> folders are un-named(or are in some other file system structure) and
others
> have all kinds of other weird creations like "LPT1" and "COM1" to
> chararcters of different kinds.
>
> Can anyone suggest a utility to remove these ophaned directories. I
remember
> the old Norton commander used to take care of these things in the 8.3
world
> but not sure what can do it for NTFS, I have tried a few Linux ported
tools
> to no avail !! There are like 21000 direcories and subs.
>
> Any suggestions ??
>
> Signed: thick as a brick

September 5, 2004 5:25:10 AM

Thanks Dave already tried that. She no worked!

"Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> From a command prompt try;
>
> del \\.\Drive:\directory\filename
> (Note: the period between \\ and \)
>
> Also
>
> dir /x
> and try deleting them using their 8.3 short names.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> <randy.d@rogers.com> wrote:
> |I am stupid. I admit it !!
> |
> | I have a server runing Win2K Adv. server and was running it wide open to
> the
> | internet for web stuff I was fooling around with. In the course of time
> some
> | ftp deamon or worm got into the machine and has hijacked a shared folder
> | that had some of the test bed stuff in. I am able to drop to a command
> | prompt and forcefully delete all the files (There were a few good movies
> in
> | there!!) but I cannot delete the folders that were created. some of the
> | folders are un-named(or are in some other file system structure) and
> others
> | have all kinds of other weird creations like "LPT1" and "COM1" to
> | chararcters of different kinds.
> |
> | Can anyone suggest a utility to remove these ophaned directories. I
> remember
> | the old Norton commander used to take care of these things in the 8.3
> world
> | but not sure what can do it for NTFS, I have tried a few Linux ported
> tools
> | to no avail !! There are like 21000 direcories and subs.
> |
> | Any suggestions ??
> |
> | Signed: thick as a brick

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 5:26:35 AM

Thanks Mike I was travelling down this road to!
"Mike Rosado [MSFT]" <mikeros@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Randy,
>
> Have dealt with customer in the past that have used this article with
> great
> success. Give it a try and post back to the newsgroup if it help your
> scenario or not.
>
> 120716 How to Remove Files with Reserved Names in Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=120716
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
> Mike Rosado
> Windows 2000 MCSE + MCDBA
> Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
> Windows NT/2000/2003 Cluster Technologies

> rights.
> <http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm&gt;
>
> Delighting customers is our top priority. We welcome your valuable
> comments
> and suggestions about how to improve the service we provide you. So if you
> would like provided us feedback, feel free to e-mail my manager Brian
> Pennington then click on the following e-mail hyperlink with a short
> statement with regards to your Online support experience
> <mailto:BPenning@microsoft.com?subject=Newsgroup_Experience&body=Brian,>.
> Thank you.

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 6:14:47 AM

<randy.d@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:o 1ztBNSkEHA.3872@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I am stupid. I admit it !!
>
> I have a server runing Win2K Adv. server and was running it wide open to
the
> internet for web stuff I was fooling around with. In the course of time
some
> ftp deamon or worm got into the machine and has hijacked a shared folder
> that had some of the test bed stuff in. I am able to drop to a command
> prompt and forcefully delete all the files (There were a few good movies
in
> there!!) but I cannot delete the folders that were created. some of the
> folders are un-named(or are in some other file system structure) and
others
> have all kinds of other weird creations like "LPT1" and "COM1" to
> chararcters of different kinds.
>
> Can anyone suggest a utility to remove these ophaned directories. I
remember
> the old Norton commander used to take care of these things in the 8.3
world
> but not sure what can do it for NTFS, I have tried a few Linux ported
tools
> to no avail !! There are like 21000 direcories and subs.
>
> Any suggestions ??
>
> Signed: thick as a brick

How hard is it for you to reformat the whole HD partition, taking into an
accouint of backing up the needed files? OTOH, I usually remove such
directory with its contents and if the directory had a weird name, I
preceeded it with a `"' followed by the first few characters of the
directory name, hit a TAB key for completion, and ending the line with a
"/s" before hitting the return key. When prompted, I just pressed "y" to
confirm the deletion of the directory along with its contents.

--
Mazi
!