Sign in with
Your question

Anyone build a successful Conroe build yet?

Last response: in CPUs
August 2, 2006 1:05:12 AM

Hey there,
Wondering if anyone has successfully built their conroe pc yet? Any reports? Also...I'm hearing different stories about the Asus p5w DH...I've got one on order so I need to know

A lot of people are saying that they need a new bios chip sent to them...Others are saying that you can start it up, and yes it yells at you that it has a weird proc in it...But if you have a disk with the Asus BIOS update in and you Alt+F2 it to flash, it still should work.
And then some also say if you bought it very recently, that it should ship with a useable BIOS version to flash the newest one. A lot of different stories here.

http://www.overclock3d.net/news.php?type=3&id=177&desc=...

Any comments?
August 2, 2006 1:52:34 AM

Quote:
Hey there,
Wondering if anyone has successfully built their conroe pc yet? Any reports? Also...I'm hearing different stories about the Asus p5w DH...I've got one on order so I need to know

A lot of people are saying that they need a new bios chip sent to them...Others are saying that you can start it up, and yes it yells at you that it has a weird proc in it...But if you have a disk with the Asus BIOS update in and you Alt+F2 it to flash, it still should work.
And then some also say if you bought it very recently, that it should ship with a useable BIOS version to flash the newest one. A lot of different stories here.

http://www.overclock3d.net/news.php?type=3&id=177&desc=...

Any comments?

I guess no one has gotten one actually assembled yet. One person reported that he is keeping his E6700 "in a safe place" until he can get a mobo for it.
August 2, 2006 1:59:59 AM

Conroe is a myth just like bigfoot and santa claus
Related resources
August 2, 2006 2:00:49 AM

I know 3 people from work who have built Core 2 Duos already.

1 used the intel i975xbx board (one with Xfire setup and phase cooling...supposedly hit 4Ghz, but we'll see at the next lanparty. Oh, he has an ES sample chip).

1 used the Gigabyte DS3, I think. Not the super duper one, but a relatively cheaper version. I believe he was gloating about an E6600 CPU, which I threaten to steal when he was sleeping.

The last used the new intel i965, but hasn't ran too many apps, just installed WinXP. Also, with an E6600 CPU.

I am not sure about that ASUS board, but I have read horror stories of bios flashing failing at mid-flash, to people getting boards that were just drop and go. I think it's like the recent 975xbx 3.02 or 3.04 debacle earlier.

Side note: where they got those chips are beyond me, except for the ES chip. I know where he got that one. The same person might even get an ES sample of Kentsfield to play with (damn it).
August 2, 2006 2:10:21 AM

I personally have an E6300 sitting on my table as well...But I'm waiting on my damn motherboard....
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2006 3:24:06 AM

Quote:

Isn't that bigfoot in your picture?
August 2, 2006 7:05:23 AM

Weeble mentioned the Overclockers thread on the ASUS mobos. Here's the downlow:

Quote:
"Heads Ups. This board is shipping with BIOS rev 0401 which is reported to not support Conroe. For Conroe you need 0502 or higher. That means you'll need to use a non Conroe socket 775 CPU to flash the BIOS.

That's no big deal if you have a "tide me over" CPU prior to Conroe but if you're expecting this board to POST with Conroe you may be in store for a surprise."
August 2, 2006 8:07:50 AM

Quote:

What do you mean Santa is a myth :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  ??????

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........................
August 2, 2006 9:13:34 AM

I have successfully built one.

I used the P5B board from Asus - not recomended for P180 Case owners, as it is slightly smaller than most ATX mobo's and the sata is fiddly as it is right next to the channel for the PSU connectors.

I have the extreme 6800 and it is the bee's knees - the only downside is the onboard raid it really is bad.

However the performance is superb - overclocked it to 3.5ghz on air but unstable playin BF2 so keeping at standard at the moment - but who can complain!!
August 2, 2006 9:32:15 AM

*looks at home floor safe* yes my conroe is very safe ;)  And hopefully, if all ships well, i will have everything i need to finish my build this weekendish some time. still debating my video card selection, help me out: 7950GX2, 7900GTX, or X1900XTX

i will probably have to flash my BIOS as i ordered my P5W DH from a small eTailer who probably doesn't have the newest stock, but as long as it boots, this should be ok, just a bios flash and good to go. eh?
August 2, 2006 9:48:34 AM

With that P5WDH you will need to put another chip in first as it will not boot with conroe - so if you have PentiumD put that in first for the bios flash, then insert conroe and your life will change forever.

My thingy has grown an inch since using conroe!!
August 2, 2006 9:53:27 AM

Quote:
With that P5WDH you will need to put another chip in first as it will not boot with conroe - so if you have PentiumD put that in first for the bios flash, then insert conroe and your life will change forever.

My thingy has grown an inch since using conroe!!
So if i get a bunch of them......I'm the next John Holmes? :wink:
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2006 10:02:28 AM

Quote:
With that P5WDH you will need to put another chip in first as it will not boot with conroe - so if you have PentiumD put that in first for the bios flash

The same thing I was reading on the ASUS forums.
August 2, 2006 10:47:28 AM

Im reading issues everywhere....I think your best off trying to resell the mobo and wait for the right one. They released conroe too early leaving many peeps in the dark. GG Intel
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2006 11:00:39 AM

ASUS website added updated BIOS for many of their core 2 duo MB's on 7/31/06. I have seen complaints in the forums there concerning the MB will not boot with a core 2 duo chip until the BIOS is updated. My ASUS 775 board is a rev. 1. Only rev. 2 support core 2 duo. It's worse than a soap opera.
August 2, 2006 11:01:33 AM

I was looking at a P5B build P180 combo (no particular interest in raid) Starskysdad. Is it a complete no no or just a bit fiddly to build??

ta
August 2, 2006 11:18:31 AM

Not quite, my e6600 + Abit ab9 pro arrived this morning. After assembling it I get a BIOS code 23 (not listed in the manual) which is the motherboard misidentifying the chip :( 

As there is no actual post, there is no way to flash the bios with the fix on Abit's site and I have no other socket 775 cpu. Abit say they will send out a new BIOS for me.

So near yet so far.... :( 
August 2, 2006 11:19:25 AM

Not quite, my e6600 + Abit ab9 pro arrived this morning. After assembling it I get a BIOS code 23 (not listed in the manual) which is the motherboard misidentifying the chip :( 

As there is no actual post, there is no way to flash the bios with the fix on Abit's site and I have no other socket 775 cpu. Abit say they will send out a new BIOS for me.

So near yet so far.... :( 
August 2, 2006 11:20:21 AM

Yeah me too...I hope not too fiddly!

P5b deluxe is on its way. I will camp Newegg at midnight on the 7th to get a 6600.

Also Enermax Liberty 500 watt and I will get the VGA 7900GT KO and Corsair 6400 (the slow timings, not going to 4ghz.)
August 2, 2006 11:53:08 AM

I also read that you can pop out the BIOS chip into another running computer, flash it there, and put it back in the p5w...I don't have another socket T proc laying around of course so...so this may be my way to go. (see link)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

This may be my best bet. OR...does anyone know if I can order a new chip from Asus WITHOUT having a UPC or something (cuz I didn't receive my board yet).
August 2, 2006 12:19:58 PM

I'm getting the rest of my parts in today with the processor arriving tommarrow. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
August 2, 2006 1:15:21 PM

Quote:
I have the extreme 6800...

However the performance is superb - overclocked it to 3.5ghz on air but unstable playin BF2 so keeping at standard at the moment - but who can complain!!

Why the hell you overclocking that thing for? It's far and above the best thing for the desktop and you're oc'ing it to play BF2?? Your logic processor not working? :tongue:
August 2, 2006 1:21:57 PM

What mobo did you get Chewb?
August 2, 2006 1:22:18 PM

Actually this argument reminds me a lot of my motorcycling days. Anyone who owned a Jap bike new their bikes where better, but guess what? Anyone who owned a Harley or a European bike knew there’s was better. I suppose nothing ever changes. :( 
Just a though, but not everyone can be right. 8)
August 2, 2006 1:36:36 PM

Quote:
Actually this argument reminds me a lot of my motorcycling days. Anyone who owned a Jap bike new their bikes where better, but guess what? Anyone who owned a Harley or a European bike knew there’s was better. I suppose nothing ever changes. :( 

It's exactly liek any other merchandise where there are competitors. That's why I will not steer anyone away from what they want. If soemone asks about Core2 vs Core 2 I won't say get AMD because.....

By the same token if someone asks about AM2 vs AM2 I won't brng up Core 2.

If they ask about them vs each other then I will give as many pros and cons for each as I can and let them decide.

So has anyone actually gotten a core 2 sys built?
August 2, 2006 1:40:35 PM

Fair enough, but what if someone asks you, I want the best, most advanced system money can buy.
Home PC I mean not servers.
August 2, 2006 1:40:43 PM

LOL - Just one of those things - me and a m8 had an overclockin sesh - him with his 950 and me with mine - everyone has a go every now and then

I dont only use it for BF2....i use the internet as well :lol: 
August 2, 2006 1:47:11 PM

It is very fiddly, If I could do it again I would go for the gigabyte DS4 whatsit, its the same price and offers more for the money - and has good ratings.

The problem is that the Jumpers, SATA and IDE connectors are all right under the PSU cable access. This means if you want to change anything then you really have to wrench stuff out of the way and it also does not look too good.

The other issue is that the mobo screws towards the drive bays do not align with the holes in the case and although the board is still very secure you can not put the final 3 screws in without drilling the bottom of the case

I am sticking with it until the mobo conroe price craze drops off and then at xmas get an nvidia 590 chipset

I aint swapping my case for no mofo
August 2, 2006 1:48:46 PM

My E6300 got here from ZZF Monday. Silly fast.
August 2, 2006 2:14:29 PM

I have all the components like mobo [ASUS P5W DH Deluxe] and Core 2 Duo 2.13 processor, I just haven't had the time to finish the build. I will be doing that today or Friday. Don't worry, it's not just a myth. I do have it all.
August 2, 2006 2:26:51 PM

Well anybody with the Asus P5W DH PLEASE post your results once you get it assembled. I think most of the posts who say "you need a new chip" may not even own it, they just say what other people say.
So once you get it together with the P5W DH please let us know if the BIOS chip issue is %100 true. I would think you SHOULd be able to Alt+F2 to flash it...because that actually happens BEFORE the post I believe.
August 2, 2006 2:46:46 PM

Quote:

It's exactly liek any other merchandise where there are competitors. That's why I will not steer anyone away from what they want. If soemone asks about Core2 vs Core 2 I won't say get AMD because.....

By the same token if someone asks about AM2 vs AM2 I won't brng up Core 2.

If they ask about them vs each other then I will give as many pros and cons for each as I can and let them decide.

So has anyone actually gotten a core 2 sys built?

Fail. coolalaer got a conroe built system already, so do a lot of guys in VRforums
August 2, 2006 2:54:27 PM

The reasons why it's taking me so long is because of the thermaltake SE I have. I have to remove all that tubing, CPU water block, plus I have purchased a new water pump and tubing for this processor; so that needs to be installed. In addition, I have a life outside of me re-upgrading system. I have changed processors & mobo's three times in the last six months. I'm a little exhausted with the process.

I have had the ASUS since it came out. I was one of the first to buy core 2 duo on tiger. I will get it up ASAP for all the doubters.
August 2, 2006 3:28:18 PM

Well I got a modular PSU...Enermax Liberty. Hopefully that will make things easier. I thought with P180s you were supposed to put the mobo in first...Seems more logical to me?
August 2, 2006 3:44:59 PM

I also have the P180 and it makes it a little easy with the PSU being at the bottom, but it's still a hassle to get that tubing ran.
August 2, 2006 3:51:33 PM

Quote:

Bigfoot and Santa are not myths! They are helping me flash my Conroe mobo bios as I type!
August 2, 2006 4:14:54 PM

Um the Asus P5B board sux when it is ran in RAID? how come?
August 2, 2006 4:31:54 PM

I'm having no issue w/ RAID configurations. Go to the ASUS forum to address the issue.
August 2, 2006 4:34:29 PM

Finally !

Yes I have a working core2 system :D 

Borrowed a P4 and flashed the BIOS and now have running core 2 E6600 currently running at stock speeds.

I even have a bencmark of sorts to give you.

A Lightwave test render:

Old spec: Athlon XP2400 - 39 mins 26 seconds
New spec: Core2 ... - 8 mins 41 seconds.

It really dosnt tell you much other than I can now render at over 4 times the speed I could this morning.
August 2, 2006 4:49:24 PM

I don't know yet. I haven't got my processor installed as of yet. When I do, that will be the first thing I check. BTW, I have had several motherboards since I have started building my own PC's, but this motherboard is by far the best I have ever had. It's stable as can be, with no issues other than the heat being a 10 degrees higher that my second favorite mobo, [Intel 955bk]. Other than the heat, I love this motherboard. I will fix the heat issue with the processor install.
August 2, 2006 4:52:50 PM

Just got my E6400 and I'm building it now. I will post back with results. :D 
August 2, 2006 5:03:56 PM

Everything cept for the processor will be here today. Ordered my E6400 from ZZF 2 days ago, will be here tommarrow approx 7pm. I will start doing prep and cable management. The board I got is the Gigabyte DS3, I will be doing a healthy OC of 3ghz on the E6400. If all goes well, I'll be playing oblivion by friday.
August 2, 2006 5:10:01 PM

what ram did u purchase chewbenator?
August 2, 2006 5:14:32 PM

Quote:

hahahaha
August 2, 2006 6:43:30 PM

So far I got all my components installed and it POSTed fine. At first I thought my heatsink/fan was bad b/c when I started it up the fan didn't spin. It was the thermal control disabling the fan until temps rose. About 5 min in the Bios the temps didn't go over 30C. When I disabled thermal control of the fan (fan at full speed), the temps are about 23 to 25 C. So far one thing I can say is that Conroe runs very cool. I'll keep you guys updatedw/ any new info.
!