Advanced Server as Desktop PC?

I have grown tired of Windows XP Pro's logon restrictions,
specifically the "one logon at a time" restriction. I am
also tired of the bandwidth limitations while using the
Web and FTP services.

I have the opportunity to purchase Windows 2000 Advanced
Server from a friend, and he has told me that there will
be none of those restrictions mentioned above. However,
since he has never tried it, he cannot answer the
following question;

Can I continue to use my machine as a desktop PC with
Windows 2000 Advanced Server running at the same time
without having to multiboot? In other words, with the
server running, would I be able to load and run Office XP,
Quicken, and a few other programs that I must access to on
the same machine the server is running on?

Vince

ME

you sure can
i've done it with 2003 and works good
the only real difference between 2000 pro and server versions is network
functionality and ability to provide application services (exchange, sql,
etc)
besides that, 2000 server will work fine as a workstation if you so desire
to do that

"vja2000" <vja2000@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have grown tired of Windows XP Pro's logon restrictions,
> specifically the "one logon at a time" restriction. I am
> also tired of the bandwidth limitations while using the
> Web and FTP services.
>
> I have the opportunity to purchase Windows 2000 Advanced
> Server from a friend, and he has told me that there will
> be none of those restrictions mentioned above. However,
> since he has never tried it, he cannot answer the
> following question;
>
> Can I continue to use my machine as a desktop PC with
> Windows 2000 Advanced Server running at the same time
> without having to multiboot? In other words, with the
> server running, would I be able to load and run Office XP,
> Quicken, and a few other programs that I must access to on
> the same machine the server is running on?
>
> Vince

Thank you very much for the information. I sincerely
appreciate it.

Vince

"vja2000" <vja2000@bellsouth.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
07ae01c4919d$c3eabb50$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>I have grown tired of Windows XP Pro's logon restrictions,
> specifically the "one logon at a time" restriction. I am
> also tired of the bandwidth limitations while using the
> Web and FTP services.
>
> I have the opportunity to purchase Windows 2000 Advanced
> Server from a friend, and he has told me that there will
> be none of those restrictions mentioned above. However,
> since he has never tried it, he cannot answer the
> following question;
>
> Can I continue to use my machine as a desktop PC with
> Windows 2000 Advanced Server running at the same time
> without having to multiboot? In other words, with the
> server running, would I be able to load and run Office XP,
> Quicken, and a few other programs that I must access to on
> the same machine the server is running on?

Vince,

Why not consider Linux with Wine/Cedega? The latter (Cedga, ex WineX) is far
less expensive than Windows at all. You can run your favorite games and
applications as a transition to the Open Source's. Total amount of bucks
invested is almost zero. It's multi-user, multi session and supports server
software without any added cost. It has customizeable desktops, logon ad startup
screens.

Vince C.