How to get to DOS prompt in XP

I can't find a MS-DOS prompt in the programs. In
Accessories, there is a Command Prompt that takes me to
C:\Documents and Settings\. How do I get to just C:\ ?
5 answers Last reply
More about prompt

    1. Click on Start, then Run.
    2. Type in: CMD , and hit enter.
    3. Type in: cd\ , then hit enter.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "mc" wrote:

    | I can't find a MS-DOS prompt in the programs. In
    | Accessories, there is a Command Prompt that takes me to
    | C:\Documents and Settings\. How do I get to just C:\ ?

    Hi,

    There is no DOS in a WinXP system, so you cannot start it. There is only the
    DOS emulator. To change the start location in the command prompt,
    right-click the shortcut in the start menu, select properties. In the "start
    in" line, change it to just C:\

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "mc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can't find a MS-DOS prompt in the programs. In
    > Accessories, there is a Command Prompt that takes me to
    > C:\Documents and Settings\. How do I get to just C:\ ?

    In XP, go to Start, then Programs, then Accessories, then
    Command Prompt. It's not called MS Dos any more. Type
    EXIT to leave.

    On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 22:22:59 -0700, "SQ"

    From the command prompt, type "cd \" or cd "c:\"

    Using the "cd" (Change Directory) command, you can change to any
    folder in the file structure, as long as you enter the path of the
    directory you want to change to.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Keep the thread intact
    Post reply to original newsgroup
  5. you can BOOT into DOS from XP though... davidXXW made a XP Boot Disk utility by taking the MS system files and merging them with the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool, making it a really easy process if you can boot via usb... and you'll actually be in DOS before windows has a chance to lock *** down...

DOS Windows XP