How can I change my ip address if I am using cable?

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Hi,
I want to change my IP address due to some annonmous attack, however I am
current using cable which has permanent IP address, is there any ways I can
change my IP address? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Splendid

"Adrian" <a@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I want to change my IP address due to some annonmous attack, however I
am
> current using cable which has permanent IP address, is there any ways I
can
> change my IP address? Thanks in advance.

no

"Adrian" <a@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I want to change my IP address due to some annonmous attack, however I
am
> current using cable which has permanent IP address, is there any ways I
can
> change my IP address? Thanks in advance.

R U sure your IP address is premanently assigned by your cable modem
provider? I wished my cable provider assigns me a permanent or static IP
address so I can run a DNS with e-mail/web/ftp servers. If your cable
provider assigns you a dynamic IP address, you will need to find out the
retention on the IP address. Then, either turn off your computer for such a
retention length of time or call your cable provider to complain to change
the IP address.

--
Mazi

"!SpamMe" <a@b.com> wrote in message

> R U sure your IP address is premanently assigned by your cable modem
> provider? I wished my cable provider assigns me a permanent or static IP
> address so I can run a DNS with e-mail/web/ftp servers. If your cable
> provider assigns you a dynamic IP address, you will need to find out the
> retention on the IP address. Then, either turn off your computer for such
> retention length of time or call your cable provider to complain to change
> the IP address.

Depends on which cable co he calls. I work for Adelphia and since all our
connections are done via DHCP, we usually tell our customers to turn their
modems off for 12-24 hours as well as their PCs.

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

ok thx, I think I will call my provider to see how it goes. Thx
"!SpamMe" <a@b.com> wrote in message

> "Adrian" <a@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I want to change my IP address due to some annonmous attack, however I
> am
> > current using cable which has permanent IP address, is there any ways I
> can
> > change my IP address? Thanks in advance.
> >

> R U sure your IP address is premanently assigned by your cable modem
> provider? I wished my cable provider assigns me a permanent or static IP
> address so I can run a DNS with e-mail/web/ftp servers. If your cable
> provider assigns you a dynamic IP address, you will need to find out the
> retention on the IP address. Then, either turn off your computer for such
> retention length of time or call your cable provider to complain to change
> the IP address.
>
> --
> Mazi

If I may ask, who is your provider?

> ok thx, I think I will call my provider to see how it goes. Thx
> "!SpamMe" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Adrian" <a@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I want to change my IP address due to some annonmous attack, however
> > am
> > > current using cable which has permanent IP address, is there any ways
> > can
> > > change my IP address? Thanks in advance.
> > >

> > R U sure your IP address is premanently assigned by your cable modem
> > provider? I wished my cable provider assigns me a permanent or static IP
> > address so I can run a DNS with e-mail/web/ftp servers. If your cable
> > provider assigns you a dynamic IP address, you will need to find out the
> > retention on the IP address. Then, either turn off your computer for
such
> > retention length of time or call your cable provider to complain to
change
> > the IP address.
> >
> > --
> > Mazi

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Actually, I am from Australia, my provider is Optus.
I just ring them up, and they told me to turn off the modem for a day and
the IP will be changed automatically. But why? I dont know....

"Robert Wolfe" <robert_todd@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> "!SpamMe" <a@b.com> wrote in message
>
> > R U sure your IP address is premanently assigned by your cable modem
> > provider? I wished my cable provider assigns me a permanent or static IP
> > address so I can run a DNS with e-mail/web/ftp servers. If your cable
> > provider assigns you a dynamic IP address, you will need to find out the
> > retention on the IP address. Then, either turn off your computer for
such
> > retention length of time or call your cable provider to complain to
change
> > the IP address.
>
> Depends on which cable co he calls. I work for Adelphia and since all our
> connections are done via DHCP, we usually tell our customers to turn their
> modems off for 12-24 hours as well as their PCs.

DHCP. Your cable provider uses a DHCP server to assign IP addresses to its
clients. The server will assign a new IP address to any clients should the
modem fail to update to the server at the assigned period of time.

--
Mazi