Wow... Major bug exploit...

I just discovered a really cheezy way to get an endless supply of Daedric
weapons. Go to any of the Daedric shrines, and there will be an offering in
front of the statue. Usually this will consist of several gems: diamonds,
emeralds, rubies or pearls. If you take them, you'll suddenly be attacked
by a Dremora Lord. Provided you're a strong enough character to kill these
rather easily, you should have no trouble. The problem is, the Dremora Lord
is not tied to the shrine, but rather to the gems. You'll notice if you
have other gems in your inventory that these will not stack with them.
They're special Dremora-Lord-summoning gems. Drop one on the ground
ANYwhere and pick it back up, and you'll get attacked by another Dremora
Lord. You can do this as many times as you want, and every time you can get
another Daedric weapon off of them. Sell to Mudcrab for 10000 gp, rinse,
repeat. In fact, if you used that money for training, you could pretty
quickly max out all your skills with almost no effort. Needless to say,
this is majorly cheating, and I don't condone it. I think it would quickly
take all the fun out of the game to advance your character in this way, but
wow is that one major loophole in the game...

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:35:11 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>I just discovered a really cheezy way to get an endless supply of Daedric
>weapons. Go to any of the Daedric shrines...

Yes, a daft one that, but fun in a strange way. Actually with the
console cheats on the PC you could just summon weapons (or even cash)
in any quantity you like, raise stats and skills to whatever you want,
and so on. That REALLY spoils the gratification of honest toil in the
game!

Palindrome

dre

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
> I just discovered a really cheezy way to get an endless supply of Daedric
> weapons. Go to any of the Daedric shrines, and there will be an offering
in
> front of the statue. Usually this will consist of several gems: diamonds,
> emeralds, rubies or pearls. If you take them, you'll suddenly be attacked
> by a Dremora Lord. Provided you're a strong enough character to kill
these
> rather easily, you should have no trouble. The problem is, the Dremora
Lord
> is not tied to the shrine, but rather to the gems. You'll notice if you
> have other gems in your inventory that these will not stack with them.
> They're special Dremora-Lord-summoning gems. Drop one on the ground
> ANYwhere and pick it back up, and you'll get attacked by another Dremora
> Lord. You can do this as many times as you want, and every time you can
get
> another Daedric weapon off of them. Sell to Mudcrab for 10000 gp, rinse,
> repeat. In fact, if you used that money for training, you could pretty
> quickly max out all your skills with almost no effort. Needless to say,
> this is majorly cheating, and I don't condone it. I think it would
quickly
> take all the fun out of the game to advance your character in this way,
but
> wow is that one major loophole in the game...

Whoa, that is a bit silly :)

So say you're on a lonely little island in the middle of nowhere, with noone
on it, drop, pick up and all of a sudden there is a Dremora Lord attacking
you?

I repeat, Whoa, that is a bit silly :)

Cheers Dre

Dre wrote:

> "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
>
>>I just discovered a really cheezy way to get an endless supply of Daedric
>>weapons. Go to any of the Daedric shrines, and there will be an offering
>
> in
>
>>front of the statue. Usually this will consist of several gems: diamonds,
>>emeralds, rubies or pearls. If you take them, you'll suddenly be attacked
>>by a Dremora Lord. Provided you're a strong enough character to kill
>
> these
>
>>rather easily, you should have no trouble. The problem is, the Dremora
>
> Lord
>
>>is not tied to the shrine, but rather to the gems. You'll notice if you
>>have other gems in your inventory that these will not stack with them.
>>They're special Dremora-Lord-summoning gems. Drop one on the ground
>>ANYwhere and pick it back up, and you'll get attacked by another Dremora
>>Lord. You can do this as many times as you want, and every time you can
>
> get
>
>>another Daedric weapon off of them. Sell to Mudcrab for 10000 gp, rinse,
>>repeat. In fact, if you used that money for training, you could pretty
>>quickly max out all your skills with almost no effort. Needless to say,
>>this is majorly cheating, and I don't condone it. I think it would
>
> quickly
>
>>take all the fun out of the game to advance your character in this way,
>
> but
>
>>wow is that one major loophole in the game...
>>

> Whoa, that is a bit silly :)
>
> So say you're on a lonely little island in the middle of nowhere, with noone
> on it, drop, pick up and all of a sudden there is a Dremora Lord attacking
> you?
>
> I repeat, Whoa, that is a bit silly :)
>
> Cheers Dre

Not much sillier than all of the monsters in some areas constantly
regenerating and acting the same as before. Even if they brought in
replacements one would think they would be more alert. I don't remember
how many times I wiped out the Dark Brotherhood with no changes in their
actions. Plus you can pick off a group one at a time and none of the
others will ever notice. At least in the Thief series if a guard found
a body or heard a sound he tried to find the perpetrator instead of
thinking that I can't see him standing in front of me (even if I was) so
there is no danger.

> Yes, a daft one that, but fun in a strange way. Actually with the
> console cheats on the PC you could just summon weapons (or even cash)
> in any quantity you like, raise stats and skills to whatever you want,
> and so on. That REALLY spoils the gratification of honest toil in the
> game!

Yeah, I know there's any number of ways to cheat using the console, but this
one is entirely "legal" within the rules of the game. It's really more of
an exploit than a cheat. Still a real spoiler, though.

> So say you're on a lonely little island in the middle of nowhere, with
noone
> on it, drop, pick up and all of a sudden there is a Dremora Lord attacking
> you?

Ayup. I discovered this when I was moving all of my stash of stuff from a
stack of crates in Balmora into my new home. (I took over Dura Gra Bol's
place after I killed him for the Fighters Guild.) I'd seen that those gems
wouldn't stack with ordinary gems for some time, but it wasn't until I was
putting everything on the ground to organize it and picking them back up
that I discovered this. All of a sudden I was in the middle of a big
fireball that appeared out of nowhere. (These Dremora Lords like to appear
behind you, for some reason.) The real challenge was that I had dropped all
my weapons in order to carry more stuff so I had to run and get it while the
guy was busy throwing more fireballs my way. Fortunately, this guy can take
quite a beating now at lvl 30 with maxed Endurance, so it wasn't a huge
deal. But trying to find my sword on the ground with all those fireball
graphics in the way was not easy...

(On a related note, never drop Azura's Star on the ground anywhere where
there's a carpet. It will sink below the rug, and you won't be able to find
it except by turning off clipping in the console, walking below the floor
and looking up. This probably goes for any other relatively flat objects as
well.)

TomClymer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2004

Hmm, after reading this thread I just had to try it out.....never could get
it to work. I have a Ruby and an Emerald that will not stack.....no Dremora
Lords. I have a STACK of Daedric weapons from do repeat crawls through a
couple different places, so it's not that big of a deal, but I was
interested in seeing it work. Is there perhaps another reason that these
gems won't stack? I seem to remember picking up a couple gems from some
shrine below Vivec...maybe from therre??

>> So say you're on a lonely little island in the middle of nowhere, with
> noone
>> on it, drop, pick up and all of a sudden there is a Dremora Lord
>> attacking
>> you?
>
> Ayup. I discovered this when I was moving all of my stash of stuff from a
> stack of crates in Balmora into my new home. (I took over Dura Gra Bol's
> place after I killed him for the Fighters Guild.) I'd seen that those
> gems
> wouldn't stack with ordinary gems for some time, but it wasn't until I was
> putting everything on the ground to organize it and picking them back up
> that I discovered this. All of a sudden I was in the middle of a big
> fireball that appeared out of nowhere. (These Dremora Lords like to
> appear
> behind you, for some reason.) The real challenge was that I had dropped
> all
> my weapons in order to carry more stuff so I had to run and get it while
> the
> guy was busy throwing more fireballs my way. Fortunately, this guy can
> take
> quite a beating now at lvl 30 with maxed Endurance, so it wasn't a huge
> deal. But trying to find my sword on the ground with all those fireball
> graphics in the way was not easy...
>
> (On a related note, never drop Azura's Star on the ground anywhere where
> there's a carpet. It will sink below the rug, and you won't be able to
> find
> it except by turning off clipping in the console, walking below the floor
> and looking up. This probably goes for any other relatively flat objects
> as
> well.)

> Hmm, after reading this thread I just had to try it out.....never could
get
> it to work. I have a Ruby and an Emerald that will not stack.....no
Dremora
> Lords. I have a STACK of Daedric weapons from do repeat crawls through a
> couple different places, so it's not that big of a deal, but I was
> interested in seeing it work. Is there perhaps another reason that these
> gems won't stack? I seem to remember picking up a couple gems from some
> shrine below Vivec...maybe from therre??

I've found that you can't get it to work twice in a row in the same place.
If you leave a location and come back you can do it again, or just do it in
the new location. I've also noticed that not every non-stacking gem has
this effect. If you go to a Daedric shrine, and you see 3 or 4 gems there,
it seems that only 1 of these gems will summon a Daedra, but all of them
will be non-stacking.

Oh, I've also discovered that some other items at Daedric shrines can have
this property as well. Daedra hearts and raw ebony left as offerings are
sometimes cursed as well. I don't generally pick these up, though, as their
value/weight ratio is not that good. I also have a couple of Dwemer Coins
that don't stack, and I seem to recall finding them in the eye-sockets of
some skull somewhere. I think they summoned some skeletons or something,
but I can't make them do it again like the gems.