Canon IP4000 UK model in USA

A friend from England has offered to buy an ip4000 and bring it over to me
in the USA. (reason the uk version has cd printing).

I understand there is an electrical power difference.

Can anyone tell me if there is a switch on this printer it to change it to
USA power?. Or alternatively any other ways around this?.
I don't wnat any electrical problems/shorts.

Thanks
Mike
20 answers Last reply
More about canon ip4000 model

    You can buy one online if you want.

    http://www.expansys-usa.com/

    The IP printers are dual-power capable. All you need is a plug adapter or a
    power cord.

    "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > A friend from England has offered to buy an ip4000 and bring it over to me
    > in the USA. (reason the uk version has cd printing).
    >
    > I understand there is an electrical power difference.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if there is a switch on this printer it to change it to
    > USA power?. Or alternatively any other ways around this?.
    > I don't wnat any electrical problems/shorts.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >A friend from England has offered to buy an ip4000 and bring it over to me
    >in the USA. (reason the uk version has cd printing).
    >
    > I understand there is an electrical power difference.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if there is a switch on this printer it to change it to
    > USA power?. Or alternatively any other ways around this?.
    > I don't wnat any electrical problems/shorts.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    No there is not.
    You would need an after-market power inverter.
    Make sure it is 'computer grade' if you try this.

    > Can anyone tell me if there is a switch on this printer it to change it to
    > USA power?. Or alternatively any other ways around this?.

    Do let us know what you find out. There was one person over on steve's
    forms that ordered the IP5000 from the UK and it included just a simple
    adapter, and according to him it worked just fine. It would be best if
    your friend talked with Canon support and asked them if the IP4000
    includes an auto switching power supply.

    You might want want to get your friend to order up spare CD trays.
    They are in high demand in the states as it's easy to re-program the
    printer to print onto CDs.

    But if you don't wish to take the chance, you can always either replace
    the Canon's power supply for the offical US one for $25 or so, or go
    with a step up transformer for more. Most cost effective but limited
    to the printer for usefulness.

    I don't know if you can replace the power cord with a US one. UK power
    plugs are larger than US.

    -part numbers and cost for power supply-
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&jump_to=309227#p309227

    -guy who used adapter provided by the mail order company-
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&jump_to=251119#p251119

    -step up transformer-
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&jump_to=259328#p259328

    -large thread about CD-printing on Canons in the USA-
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40
    -Something resembling a faq on the subject based on thread see-
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=58907&forum_id=40

    "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
    > You can buy one online if you want.
    >
    > http://www.expansys-usa.com/

    couldnt see if this did have dvd printing or not but $225 is about $60 more
    than my friend advised he could bring it for.

    > The IP printers are dual-power capable. All you need is a plug adapter or
    > power cord.

    The post below yours suggests not :(

    "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message

    > "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>A friend from England has offered to buy an ip4000 and bring it over to me
    >>in the USA. (reason the uk version has cd printing).
    >>
    >> I understand there is an electrical power difference.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me if there is a switch on this printer it to change it
    >> to USA power?. Or alternatively any other ways around this?.
    >> I don't wnat any electrical problems/shorts.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Mike
    >>
    > No there is not.
    > You would need an after-market power inverter.
    > Make sure it is 'computer grade' if you try this.

    any idea what exactly i need is. Am i looking for something which says
    converts 240v to 110v ???
    ones i found through google are quite expensive so far

    You DO NOT need a power converter. The IP4000 runs on either 110 or 220. All
    you need is a plug adapter or a power cord from a USA model. I have one
    right here running on 110.

    > "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >>A friend from England has offered to buy an ip4000 and bring it over to
    me
    > >>in the USA. (reason the uk version has cd printing).
    > >>
    > >> I understand there is an electrical power difference.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone tell me if there is a switch on this printer it to change it
    > >> to USA power?. Or alternatively any other ways around this?.
    > >> I don't wnat any electrical problems/shorts.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Mike
    > >>
    > > No there is not.
    > > You would need an after-market power inverter.
    > > Make sure it is 'computer grade' if you try this.
    > >

    > any idea what exactly i need is. Am i looking for something which says
    > converts 240v to 110v ???
    > ones i found through google are quite expensive so far

    > Power cords are the same, except for the wall plug.

    Would it be possible for you to look and see the part number on your
    power supply. The US one is clearly marked 100-120v 50~60hz.

    Thanks

    The UK model says 220v input. It appears to be from a different maker than
    the USA power supply, but it's all in Chinese.

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Power cords are the same, except for the wall plug.
    >
    > Would it be possible for you to look and see the part number on your
    > power supply. The US one is clearly marked 100-120v 50~60hz.
    >
    > Thanks

    > If what you say was true, why not just give you a U.S. power cord with the
    > correct end rather than a aftermarket adapter?

    Why would an EU outfit carry American power cords? There are many
    styles of equipment side connectors, and much equipment that does not
    have a detachable power cord. Going with an after market adapter gives
    you assurance that it will fit without any questions save "will this
    device operate at 120v", if so toss in after market adapter. Much
    less bother than asking if Canon Europe has Power Cord QH2-2725-000,
    which chances are they don't.

    Think of it this way. Let's say you're in America going to the UK and
    need to take your PC with you that you know will operate at 220. While
    in America would you try to hunt down the UK power cord or just go with
    an aftermarket adapter. I can find adapters at just about any travel
    shop, I have no clue where to get a UK plug and i've looked a little.

    I'm willing to believe it's possible that many units offer auto
    switching power supplies. I've seen enough people order the canon from
    expansys to sugest that at least some units do. I don't know which or
    how to tell which units do or do not. My cheapo sub $50 dvd players
    have them so why not Canon. I do know it's only $25 to get the offical
    US power supply and cord from canon.

    Dan, What the heck would you know, actually owning and using one of
    them... PC Medic says that it needs a power inverter, and a good
    computer quality on at that, and that's that! ;-)

    Gee, how ornery some of these actual users can get!

    Art

    Dan G wrote:

    > You DO NOT need a power converter. The IP4000 runs on either 110 or 220. All
    > you need is a plug adapter or a power cord from a USA model. I have one
    > right here running on 110.
    >

    > "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>"PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > me

    >>>No there is not.
    >>>You would need an after-market power inverter.
    >>>Make sure it is 'computer grade' if you try this.
    >>>

    >>any idea what exactly i need is. Am i looking for something which says
    >>converts 240v to 110v ???
    >>ones i found through google are quite expensive so far

    LOL. I know. I only have one of each model sitting here staring at me. Power
    cords are the same, except for the wall plug.
    Expansys actually included a little plug adapter for free.

    > LOL. I know. I only have one of each model sitting here staring at me.
    > Power
    > cords are the same, except for the wall plug.
    > Expansys actually included a little plug adapter for free.

    If what you say was true, why not just give you a U.S. power cord with the
    correct end rather than a aftermarket adapter?
    Easy answer ..... Sorry, but different power supplies internally (110/60 for
    U.S. and 220/50 for EU).

    > "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Dan, What the heck would you know, actually owning and using one of
    >> them... PC Medic says that it needs a power inverter, and a good
    >> computer quality on at that, and that's that! ;-)
    >>
    >> Gee, how ornery some of these actual users can get!
    >>
    >> Art
    >>
    >> Dan G wrote:
    >>
    >> > You DO NOT need a power converter. The IP4000 runs on either 110 or
    >> > 220.
    > All
    >> > you need is a plug adapter or a power cord from a USA model. I have one
    >> > right here running on 110.
    >> >

    >> > "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    >> > me

    > it

    OK , I'm lying.

    Dan G wrote:
    > OK , I'm lying.

    Reminds me of my wife and son. He always liked to
    argue with, "but you said......." Instead of
    trying to explain (again) she just switched to, "I
    lied." Stopped him cold, with nothing to argue about.

    Cheers!

    > presumably they're either american or european,

    The Euro connector has a pair of round bits. The North American
    connector is a pair of flat bits, with sometimes a third roundish bit
    for ground, where the flat bits have holes in them. The UK one is
    larger than the US one, with the slots perpendicular rather than
    parallel to each other, with what I believe is the ground perpendicular
    to the angle of the live and ground slots.

    -US- (Nema 5-15 [grounded/non Polarized/non])
    | |

    -Euro (CEE 7/16)
    o o

    -UK- (Not Europe)
    - -

    I would suspect that you're getting the Euro and UK cord. After all
    you are just a stone's throw from Europe it makes good sense. However
    North America is much further away and there is no good reason to
    include the extra connector.

    <I>Also computer PSUs tend to have a slidy thing to change them from
    240</I>

    Where my DVD player PSU is auto switching, and some PSUs are auto
    swtiching. Not all have that slidy switch, and not all are auto
    switching. Keep in mind that PSUs are often made by 3rd parties.
    Some, esp those in China, prefer to make one unit which will work
    anywhere. It's east Asia after all. You've got Japan with their 100v
    with either 60hz or 50hz even within Tokyo, and the rest of East Asia
    mostly 200 to 220, 50 or 60hz. Not counting the fact that Hong Kong is
    called a shopping paradise with shoppers comming from round the world
    to buy stuff making them the most likely to be interested in universal
    equipment.

    Now I can't say in all honesty that the UK model includes an auto
    switching power supply. I can only say there are people who ordered UK
    models who got the an extra aftermarket adapter, and those people who
    used it said it worked. I don't know the UK part number for their
    power supply. I'm not saying blindly jack your printer into the wall,
    nor am I saying get a step down transformer. I would say ask Canon or
    if in doubt spend the $25 on the offical US PSU with cord.

    In message <sc4pe.86080$yV4.60668@okepread03>, PC Medic <not@home.com>
    writes

    >If what you say was true, why not just give you a U.S. power cord with the
    >correct end rather than a aftermarket adapter?
    >Easy answer ..... Sorry, but different power supplies internally (110/60 for
    >U.S. and 220/50 for EU).

    Do they come with both cables? I have quite a few non-british cables
    now, presumably they're either american or european, where it has
    probably been cheaper for the manufacturer to shove both types of cables
    in the box at the factory rather than try and manage that at the
    distribution point.

    Also computer PSUs tend to have a slidy thing to change them from 110 to
    240

    --
    Timothy

    Many (although not all) 220v power supplies placed in high tech items
    tend to be switching type these days, allowing them to work under either
    220V or 110-115 50/60 hz.

    Art

    Dan G wrote:

    > The UK model says 220v input. It appears to be from a different maker than
    > the USA power supply, but it's all in Chinese.
    >
    > "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Power cords are the same, except for the wall plug.
    >>
    >>Would it be possible for you to look and see the part number on your
    >>power supply. The US one is clearly marked 100-120v 50~60hz.
    >>
    >>Thanks

    The two units are manufactured for different markets. Canon doesn't
    want grey market units coming to the US, where they do not have patent
    rights for the CD printing device, so why would they wish to offer a
    printer with an easy "plug in" solution.

    The power supply is either switching or it isn't. Now it may not be a
    well designed or implemented switching power supply, and that may
    eventually cause some caps or other failures over time, but most Chinese
    made 220V supplies are designed as switching type, because it makes them
    more versatile.

    I just did a search to see if the power supply is ever indicated as
    being both 110-120v and 220-240V, but they just state them individually
    but with a statement that: (Power Source differs by region).

    If it works with a 220-240v supply when run at 110-120V and nothing
    seems to be cooking, it's probably a reasonably well designed switching
    power supply and I wouldn't worry about it.

    Art

    PC Medic wrote:

    > "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>LOL. I know. I only have one of each model sitting here staring at me.
    >>Power
    >>cords are the same, except for the wall plug.
    >>Expansys actually included a little plug adapter for free.
    >>

    > If what you say was true, why not just give you a U.S. power cord with the
    > correct end rather than a aftermarket adapter?
    > Easy answer ..... Sorry, but different power supplies internally (110/60 for
    > U.S. and 220/50 for EU).
    >

    >>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Dan, What the heck would you know, actually owning and using one of
    >>>them... PC Medic says that it needs a power inverter, and a good
    >>>computer quality on at that, and that's that! ;-)
    >>>
    >>>Gee, how ornery some of these actual users can get!
    >>>
    >>>Art

    >>All

    >>it

    > The two units are manufactured for different markets. Canon doesn't
    > want grey market units coming to the US, where they do not have patent
    > rights for the CD printing device, so why would they wish to offer a
    > printer with an easy "plug in" solution.

    This assumes they planned to offer an ez-plug in system. Could be the
    240v supplies they ordered were auto switching. The Euro version costs
    more, I suspect in part due to the fact that royalities are being paid.
    The last time I looked the ip3000 for example was £91.95, where in
    the US you can get the same printer minus the CD printing feature for
    £43.87 in stores £35.81 mail order shipped, or £25.00 mail order if
    you take the time to get the rebate. And Canon will service models
    bought in the UK even for CD printing failure.

    I would think they would be "more" worried about grey market goods from
    the US going to Europe.
  20. Plenty of misinformation and some truth in this string of emails.

    An inverter was a bad suggestion since it changes DC to AC.
    Are we operating this in a car? (and costs almost as much as a printer)

    A switching supply does not mean that it can switch between different AC input voltages. (It's describing the technique that is used inside the supply to produce DC out using 2 switching transistors).

    Lots of external power packs are marked 100-240 VAC 50/60Hz making them compatible with lots of countries. (It's true you need the right power plug...UK to USA adapters are avail and cheap). Very common in laptops and printers.

    Not very many internal supplies switch automatically, some have a slide switch selector of course (common on PC supplies)

    Epson makes a good inkjet with CD-printing, mine was about $100 new.

Printers Canon Power Peripherals