Canon IP4000 UK model in USA

Mike

Splendid

A friend from England has offered to buy an ip4000 and bring it over to me
in the USA. (reason the uk version has cd printing).

I understand there is an electrical power difference.

Can anyone tell me if there is a switch on this printer it to change it to
USA power?. Or alternatively any other ways around this?.
I don't wnat any electrical problems/shorts.

Thanks
Mike

You can buy one online if you want.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/

The IP printers are dual-power capable. All you need is a plug adapter or a
power cord.

"Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> A friend from England has offered to buy an ip4000 and bring it over to me
> in the USA. (reason the uk version has cd printing).
>
> I understand there is an electrical power difference.
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is a switch on this printer it to change it to
> USA power?. Or alternatively any other ways around this?.
> I don't wnat any electrical problems/shorts.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

"Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>A friend from England has offered to buy an ip4000 and bring it over to me
>in the USA. (reason the uk version has cd printing).
>
> I understand there is an electrical power difference.
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is a switch on this printer it to change it to
> USA power?. Or alternatively any other ways around this?.
> I don't wnat any electrical problems/shorts.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

No there is not.
You would need an after-market power inverter.
Make sure it is 'computer grade' if you try this.

zakezuke

> Can anyone tell me if there is a switch on this printer it to change it to
> USA power?. Or alternatively any other ways around this?.

Do let us know what you find out. There was one person over on steve's
forms that ordered the IP5000 from the UK and it included just a simple
adapter, and according to him it worked just fine. It would be best if
your friend talked with Canon support and asked them if the IP4000
includes an auto switching power supply.

You might want want to get your friend to order up spare CD trays.
They are in high demand in the states as it's easy to re-program the
printer to print onto CDs.

But if you don't wish to take the chance, you can always either replace
the Canon's power supply for the offical US one for $25 or so, or go
with a step up transformer for more. Most cost effective but limited
to the printer for usefulness.

I don't know if you can replace the power cord with a US one. UK power
plugs are larger than US.

-part numbers and cost for power supply-
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&jump_to=309227#p309227

-guy who used adapter provided by the mail order company-
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&jump_to=251119#p251119

-step up transformer-
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&jump_to=259328#p259328

-large thread about CD-printing on Canons in the USA-
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40
-Something resembling a faq on the subject based on thread see-
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=58907&forum_id=40

Mike

Splendid

"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
> You can buy one online if you want.
>
> http://www.expansys-usa.com/

couldnt see if this did have dvd printing or not but $225 is about $60 more
than my friend advised he could bring it for.

> The IP printers are dual-power capable. All you need is a plug adapter or
> power cord.

The post below yours suggests not :(

Mike

Splendid

"PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message

> "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>A friend from England has offered to buy an ip4000 and bring it over to me
>>in the USA. (reason the uk version has cd printing).
>>
>> I understand there is an electrical power difference.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if there is a switch on this printer it to change it
>> to USA power?. Or alternatively any other ways around this?.
>> I don't wnat any electrical problems/shorts.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mike
>>
> No there is not.
> You would need an after-market power inverter.
> Make sure it is 'computer grade' if you try this.

any idea what exactly i need is. Am i looking for something which says
converts 240v to 110v ???
ones i found through google are quite expensive so far

You DO NOT need a power converter. The IP4000 runs on either 110 or 220. All
you need is a plug adapter or a power cord from a USA model. I have one
right here running on 110.

> "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >>A friend from England has offered to buy an ip4000 and bring it over to
me
> >>in the USA. (reason the uk version has cd printing).
> >>
> >> I understand there is an electrical power difference.
> >>
> >> Can anyone tell me if there is a switch on this printer it to change it
> >> to USA power?. Or alternatively any other ways around this?.
> >> I don't wnat any electrical problems/shorts.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Mike
> >>
> > No there is not.
> > You would need an after-market power inverter.
> > Make sure it is 'computer grade' if you try this.
> >

> any idea what exactly i need is. Am i looking for something which says
> converts 240v to 110v ???
> ones i found through google are quite expensive so far

zakezuke

> Power cords are the same, except for the wall plug.

Would it be possible for you to look and see the part number on your
power supply. The US one is clearly marked 100-120v 50~60hz.

Thanks

The UK model says 220v input. It appears to be from a different maker than
the USA power supply, but it's all in Chinese.

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Power cords are the same, except for the wall plug.
>
> Would it be possible for you to look and see the part number on your
> power supply. The US one is clearly marked 100-120v 50~60hz.
>
> Thanks

zakezuke

> If what you say was true, why not just give you a U.S. power cord with the
> correct end rather than a aftermarket adapter?

Why would an EU outfit carry American power cords? There are many
styles of equipment side connectors, and much equipment that does not
have a detachable power cord. Going with an after market adapter gives
you assurance that it will fit without any questions save "will this
device operate at 120v", if so toss in after market adapter. Much
less bother than asking if Canon Europe has Power Cord QH2-2725-000,
which chances are they don't.

Think of it this way. Let's say you're in America going to the UK and
need to take your PC with you that you know will operate at 220. While
in America would you try to hunt down the UK power cord or just go with
an aftermarket adapter. I can find adapters at just about any travel
shop, I have no clue where to get a UK plug and i've looked a little.

I'm willing to believe it's possible that many units offer auto
switching power supplies. I've seen enough people order the canon from
expansys to sugest that at least some units do. I don't know which or
how to tell which units do or do not. My cheapo sub $50 dvd players
have them so why not Canon. I do know it's only $25 to get the offical
US power supply and cord from canon.

Dan, What the heck would you know, actually owning and using one of
them... PC Medic says that it needs a power inverter, and a good
computer quality on at that, and that's that! ;-)

Gee, how ornery some of these actual users can get!

Art

Dan G wrote:

> You DO NOT need a power converter. The IP4000 runs on either 110 or 220. All
> you need is a plug adapter or a power cord from a USA model. I have one
> right here running on 110.
>

> "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>>"PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> me

>>>No there is not.
>>>You would need an after-market power inverter.
>>>Make sure it is 'computer grade' if you try this.
>>>

>>any idea what exactly i need is. Am i looking for something which says
>>converts 240v to 110v ???
>>ones i found through google are quite expensive so far

LOL. I know. I only have one of each model sitting here staring at me. Power
cords are the same, except for the wall plug.
Expansys actually included a little plug adapter for free.

> LOL. I know. I only have one of each model sitting here staring at me.
> Power
> cords are the same, except for the wall plug.
> Expansys actually included a little plug adapter for free.

If what you say was true, why not just give you a U.S. power cord with the
correct end rather than a aftermarket adapter?
Easy answer ..... Sorry, but different power supplies internally (110/60 for
U.S. and 220/50 for EU).

> "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Dan, What the heck would you know, actually owning and using one of
>> them... PC Medic says that it needs a power inverter, and a good
>> computer quality on at that, and that's that! ;-)
>>
>> Gee, how ornery some of these actual users can get!
>>
>> Art
>>
>> Dan G wrote:
>>
>> > You DO NOT need a power converter. The IP4000 runs on either 110 or
>> > 220.
> All
>> > you need is a plug adapter or a power cord from a USA model. I have one
>> > right here running on 110.
>> >

>> > "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> > me

> it

OK , I'm lying.

Dan G wrote:
> OK , I'm lying.

Reminds me of my wife and son. He always liked to
argue with, "but you said......." Instead of
trying to explain (again) she just switched to, "I
lied." Stopped him cold, with nothing to argue about.

Cheers!

zakezuke

> presumably they're either american or european,

The Euro connector has a pair of round bits. The North American
connector is a pair of flat bits, with sometimes a third roundish bit
for ground, where the flat bits have holes in them. The UK one is
larger than the US one, with the slots perpendicular rather than
parallel to each other, with what I believe is the ground perpendicular
to the angle of the live and ground slots.

-US- (Nema 5-15 [grounded/non Polarized/non])
| |

-Euro (CEE 7/16)
o o

-UK- (Not Europe)
- -

I would suspect that you're getting the Euro and UK cord. After all
you are just a stone's throw from Europe it makes good sense. However
North America is much further away and there is no good reason to
include the extra connector.

<I>Also computer PSUs tend to have a slidy thing to change them from
240</I>

Where my DVD player PSU is auto switching, and some PSUs are auto
swtiching. Not all have that slidy switch, and not all are auto
switching. Keep in mind that PSUs are often made by 3rd parties.
Some, esp those in China, prefer to make one unit which will work
anywhere. It's east Asia after all. You've got Japan with their 100v
with either 60hz or 50hz even within Tokyo, and the rest of East Asia
mostly 200 to 220, 50 or 60hz. Not counting the fact that Hong Kong is
called a shopping paradise with shoppers comming from round the world
to buy stuff making them the most likely to be interested in universal
equipment.

Now I can't say in all honesty that the UK model includes an auto
switching power supply. I can only say there are people who ordered UK
models who got the an extra aftermarket adapter, and those people who
used it said it worked. I don't know the UK part number for their
power supply. I'm not saying blindly jack your printer into the wall,
nor am I saying get a step down transformer. I would say ask Canon or
if in doubt spend the $25 on the offical US PSU with cord.

ME

In message <sc4pe.86080$yV4.60668@okepread03>, PC Medic <not@home.com>
writes

>If what you say was true, why not just give you a U.S. power cord with the
>correct end rather than a aftermarket adapter?
>Easy answer ..... Sorry, but different power supplies internally (110/60 for
>U.S. and 220/50 for EU).

Do they come with both cables? I have quite a few non-british cables
now, presumably they're either american or european, where it has
probably been cheaper for the manufacturer to shove both types of cables
in the box at the factory rather than try and manage that at the
distribution point.

Also computer PSUs tend to have a slidy thing to change them from 110 to

Timothy

Many (although not all) 220v power supplies placed in high tech items
tend to be switching type these days, allowing them to work under either
220V or 110-115 50/60 hz.

Art

Dan G wrote:

> The UK model says 220v input. It appears to be from a different maker than
> the USA power supply, but it's all in Chinese.
>
> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>>Power cords are the same, except for the wall plug.
>>
>>Would it be possible for you to look and see the part number on your
>>power supply. The US one is clearly marked 100-120v 50~60hz.
>>
>>Thanks

The two units are manufactured for different markets. Canon doesn't
want grey market units coming to the US, where they do not have patent
rights for the CD printing device, so why would they wish to offer a
printer with an easy "plug in" solution.

The power supply is either switching or it isn't. Now it may not be a
well designed or implemented switching power supply, and that may
eventually cause some caps or other failures over time, but most Chinese
made 220V supplies are designed as switching type, because it makes them
more versatile.

I just did a search to see if the power supply is ever indicated as
being both 110-120v and 220-240V, but they just state them individually
but with a statement that: (Power Source differs by region).

If it works with a 220-240v supply when run at 110-120V and nothing
seems to be cooking, it's probably a reasonably well designed switching
power supply and I wouldn't worry about it.

Art

PC Medic wrote:

> "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
>
>>LOL. I know. I only have one of each model sitting here staring at me.
>>Power
>>cords are the same, except for the wall plug.
>>Expansys actually included a little plug adapter for free.
>>

> If what you say was true, why not just give you a U.S. power cord with the
> correct end rather than a aftermarket adapter?
> Easy answer ..... Sorry, but different power supplies internally (110/60 for
> U.S. and 220/50 for EU).
>

>>"Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>Dan, What the heck would you know, actually owning and using one of
>>>them... PC Medic says that it needs a power inverter, and a good
>>>computer quality on at that, and that's that! ;-)
>>>
>>>Gee, how ornery some of these actual users can get!
>>>
>>>Art

>>All

>>it

zakezuke

> The two units are manufactured for different markets. Canon doesn't
> want grey market units coming to the US, where they do not have patent
> rights for the CD printing device, so why would they wish to offer a
> printer with an easy "plug in" solution.

This assumes they planned to offer an ez-plug in system. Could be the
240v supplies they ordered were auto switching. The Euro version costs
more, I suspect in part due to the fact that royalities are being paid.
The last time I looked the ip3000 for example was £91.95, where in
the US you can get the same printer minus the CD printing feature for
£43.87 in stores £35.81 mail order shipped, or £25.00 mail order if
you take the time to get the rebate. And Canon will service models
bought in the UK even for CD printing failure.

I would think they would be "more" worried about grey market goods from
the US going to Europe.

jetwash

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Plenty of misinformation and some truth in this string of emails.

An inverter was a bad suggestion since it changes DC to AC.
Are we operating this in a car? (and costs almost as much as a printer)

A switching supply does not mean that it can switch between different AC input voltages. (It's describing the technique that is used inside the supply to produce DC out using 2 switching transistors).

Lots of external power packs are marked 100-240 VAC 50/60Hz making them compatible with lots of countries. (It's true you need the right power plug...UK to USA adapters are avail and cheap). Very common in laptops and printers.

Not very many internal supplies switch automatically, some have a slide switch selector of course (common on PC supplies)

Epson makes a good inkjet with CD-printing, mine was about $100 new.