Migrating from NT4

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

I currently run an NT4 environment with an Exchange 5.5
server. I am planning on migrating to an W2K Adv Server
with Exchange 2000. I have already joined the new W2k Adv
Server into the current domain but have NOT promoted it
yet to a domain controller.

1. Are there any known issues I need to be aware of when
migrating in a mixed mode environment in the same domain
name?

I have already joined the new W2k Adv
> Server into the current domain but have NOT promoted it
> yet to a domain controller.

The most you can expect with what you have done so far is to add the Win 2k
to your NT 4.0 domain as a member server. Promoting it to a DC will result
in creating a new domain.

To move to Win 2k from NT 4.0 will require you to set up two separate
domains on the same wire, create a trust between the two domains and use
ADMT to migrate users from the NT 4.0 domain to the Win 2k domain
See:
How to Set Up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Migration

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260871

OR

You can upgrade NT 4.0 to Win 2k by upgrading the PDC first. The PDC is the
ONLY DC on a NT 4.0 domain that holds a writeable copy of the SAM. Upgrading
the NT 4.0 PDC to Win 2k will carry the NT 4.0 SAM into the new Win 2k
domain.

Promoting *any*other*DC*member server* etc.. will result in a new domain
different from your NT 4.0 domain because the SAM is different.

See:

How To: Upgrade Windows NT Server 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107

You need to plan this better either upgrade or migrate. The path you are
taking will lead to a new domain where all users info will have to be
manually entered.

I would suggest removing Win 2k from the new server and installing NT 4.0 on
it as a BDC while connected to your existing domain, promote to PDC (which
demotes your existing PDC to BDC) then upgrade this machine to Win 2k and
AD.

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE