CPU changeout advice needed

bitsbytesandboolean

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Hi All,

Okay, so this might be a noob question, but I am dying to know your thoughts.

I just bought a 3800 x2 system. If I wanted to pop in a super fast chip in a year or so when the prices come way down, will I need to reinstall windows XP?

I guess my main questions is... can you just "pop in" a new cpu without substantial software changes, installing a new os... basically rebuilding you pc?

Thanks,

mpjesse

Splendid
in 99% of cases, you will not need to reinstall windows.

but when u start changing out motherboards w/ different chipsets, you usually have to unless you really know what you're doing.

you'll be ok. by chance, do you know what socket type the system is? S939 or AM2? if it's S939, I wouldn't wait around too much longer. AMD is phasing out S939 CPU's.

bitsbytesandboolean

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I would keep the same mobo, just pop in a new cpu.
I just build the system this weekend here are the specs:
Socket 939 3800 X2
Abit KN8 SlI
2 Gigs (2x1) Corsair XMS
320 Gig RAID 0 Samsung Spinpoints

bitsbytesandboolean

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
the only reason i asked was everytime i have tried in in the past i have received the blue lines of death screen and had to reinstall the os. it seems like people on this forum pop in new cpu's all the time.

I bought the 3800 x2 for $154, but kinda with I bought ther 4400 for $250. I have a big ol' Zalman cooler and right now my core is at 28' C idle and I want to overclock but haven't done so before...dont want to ef my new rig. but many people on here say that the 3800 x2 can be pushed safely to 2.4-2.6 (depending on the cooling).

When you overclock, do you just look for the temps that you see (i.e. don't go over say 50C...) or is voltage important too? I guess there are just a ton of option in my bios and I am not sure which one to monkey with, and I really don't want to learn the hard way.

Ghostyman

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
the only reason i asked was everytime i have tried in in the past i have received the blue lines of death screen and had to reinstall the os. it seems like people on this forum pop in new cpu's all the time.

I bought the 3800 x2 for $154, but kinda with I bought ther 4400 for $250. I have a big ol' Zalman cooler and right now my core is at 28' C idle and I want to overclock but haven't done so before...dont want to ef my new rig. but many people on here say that the 3800 x2 can be pushed safely to 2.4-2.6 (depending on the cooling).

When you overclock, do you just look for the temps that you see (i.e. don't go over say 50C...) or is voltage important too? I guess there are just a ton of option in my bios and I am not sure which one to monkey with, and I really don't want to learn the hard way.

The blue screen happens for tens of reasons, it's hard to say for the CPU or other problems. I think your system is rather fast, no need to OC, But if you like PC games, you can do some safty OC, just turn up the FSB from 200 to 250 or higher, It's noteworthy that don't raise the voltage, that will cause lots of power comsuming and may kill your 3800+!
Good luck![/code]

You should just be able to upgrade the chip. However, Socket 939 may make it a little more difficult to find chips.

I'm looking to upgrade my S939 system (see sig) to a fast dual-core part sometime next year.