Your question

Need a system now, buy a cheap stopgap or build my own

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2006 5:16:12 AM

Hi all well my comp is old and screwed up and after many tests i belive its the mother board and its a old nforce2 amd 3000 with 6800 agp vid card.

Now i was really excited about the amd4x4 platform and vista and honestly i planed on waiting till those were out to get a new comp. but i really do need somthing now. reason i wanted the 4x4 becuse i thought i oculd get a single proc now and a single vid card now like a 7600 and say in a year throw in the second proc and second vid card for more performance. dam i really hate to buy a vid card now when the dx10 cards are coming out so soon.

So heres my question, its in several parts so here goes

1. ive heard that upgrading to sli and second proc isnt really a good idea, really if you cant go sli with new stuff aka two great proc to start with and two great graphic cards to start with its not really going to help alot to save that path for upgrade.

However i always thought hey the processer i get drops in price, the graphics card drops in price, in a year or two i can get them cheap and greatly increase my system performance without the expense of a brand new 500 vid card and brand new proc. so what do you think, if im not going to go sli from the start is it a waste to pay for hte added expense of the mb? same with 4x4 would i be better off geting a single proc am2 processer mb and then just geting a 8 core later on?

2. i really have two choices i think less somone has another, one i could buy a 600 buck system off ebay probably amd 3800 ish with like a 7600 or ati card equvilent use it for six months then get my 4x4 sli set up. Or i can forget about 4x4 and get a am2 mb and build my system now and forget about vista, dx10 cards and 4x4/sli

3. last question, i never built my own system, ive installed drivers/os from scratch, ive instaleld my own memmory hard drives dvd drive before and vid cards, i watched somone do the old proc/heatsink, would you say somone whos somwhat computer savy and intelligent could not have to many fatal problems building a system or should i go through somone like abs velocity etc.

4 if you think i should just go for my own am2 system now, what would you reccomend, also should i get a cheap vid card and just replace it with a dx10 card in six months to a year.

5. last question, far as saving money i got my antec case and dvd and ata hard drive. should i just get a mb/proc/memory that supports ata and use that for now, would that mean i would be scraping it in say six months?

Thank all of you who read this and offer suggestions, your helping somone out by doing so and i appreciate your time and care.

More about : system buy cheap stopgap build

August 2, 2006 6:58:09 AM

Quote:
Hi all well my comp is old and screwed up and after many tests i belive its the mother board and its a old nforce2 amd 3000 with 6800 agp vid card.

Now i was really excited about the amd4x4 platform and vista and honestly i planed on waiting till those were out to get a new comp. but i really do need somthing now. reason i wanted the 4x4 becuse i thought i oculd get a single proc now and a single vid card now like a 7600 and say in a year throw in the second proc and second vid card for more performance. dam i really hate to buy a vid card now when the dx10 cards are coming out so soon.

So heres my question, its in several parts so here goes

1. ive heard that upgrading to sli and second proc isnt really a good idea, really if you cant go sli with new stuff aka two great proc to start with and two great graphic cards to start with its not really going to help alot to save that path for upgrade.

However i always thought hey the processer i get drops in price, the graphics card drops in price, in a year or two i can get them cheap and greatly increase my system performance without the expense of a brand new 500 vid card and brand new proc. so what do you think, if im not going to go sli from the start is it a waste to pay for hte added expense of the mb? same with 4x4 would i be better off geting a single proc am2 processer mb and then just geting a 8 core later on?

2. i really have two choices i think less somone has another, one i could buy a 600 buck system off ebay probably amd 3800 ish with like a 7600 or ati card equvilent use it for six months then get my 4x4 sli set up. Or i can forget about 4x4 and get a am2 mb and build my system now and forget about vista, dx10 cards and 4x4/sli

3. last question, i never built my own system, ive installed drivers/os from scratch, ive instaleld my own memmory hard drives dvd drive before and vid cards, i watched somone do the old proc/heatsink, would you say somone whos somwhat computer savy and intelligent could not have to many fatal problems building a system or should i go through somone like abs velocity etc.

4 if you think i should just go for my own am2 system now, what would you reccomend, also should i get a cheap vid card and just replace it with a dx10 card in six months to a year.

5. last question, far as saving money i got my antec case and dvd and ata hard drive. should i just get a mb/proc/memory that supports ata and use that for now, would that mean i would be scraping it in say six months?

Thank all of you who read this and offer suggestions, your helping somone out by doing so and i appreciate your time and care.

1. I find that 4x4 maybe a good idea becaue as more cores get added to processors, the price will no doubt go up. The 4x4 maybe a good idea say if you get a cheap dual core processor now, then get one in a few months, no more than a year though. And SLI is a waste of money in my opinion, I would get a cheap videocard, or just say with your current one until the DX10 cards come out.

2. Don't buy a system of ebay, period. If you want to do alittle upgrading now do it, just set a low limit, then once vista and DX10 hits buy those with the money you saved by upgrading some now.

3. Build your own, I'm building my first computer this week, parts are all going to be here tomorrow =), and I'm not a computer expert. I know, or think I know what I'm doing; that is good enough for me. And if you need help, call one of your friends or call the toll-free numbers on your parts.

4. Get the X2 3800+ processor, some good DDR2 800 memory, and a good mobo, don't skimp out on the mobo cause it lets everything communicate with each other.

5. Most mobos support ata still. I'd say get a new processor, and mother board, and ram.

Peace,
Ragnarok
August 4, 2006 4:33:04 AM

Here are my suggestions for an interm build until Vista and the DX 10 cards arrive:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 3800+

Mobo: Asus M2N-E <--- Forget about SLI. It's not worth it unless you can get both cards within 2 months of each other.

RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7600GT

Power Supply: Antec Truepower 480W

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB SATA2 <--- If you need more than 80GB, grab this Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB drive.