just reinstalled XP - now video looks all messed up!

MoonSafari

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i've just reformatted my computer and reinstalled XP. for some reason videos now look completely desaturated. this goes for both quicktime and windows media.

i have service pack 2 and all windows updates installed
i have the latest nVidia drivers installed
i have a BFG 6800GT graphics card
i have a Dell 2005FPW monitor

help!

MoonSafari

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah...just videos. color looks fine everywhere else.

what kind of codec reinstallation options are there? i uninstalled and reinstalled quicktime, but that did nothing. i upgraded to windows media 10, that did nothing. could it be related to the nVidia settings? i've looked through them, but don't see anything that would help.

mpjesse

Splendid
hmmmm... if the problem is affecting both quicktime videos and WMP videos, it's probably not a codec problem. I would try an older version of the detonator drivers. nvidia usually has older version on their site for this reason.

also... make sure hardware acceleration is at 100% and try messing with the video settings in the driver menus.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
1. In Advanced performance options of Media Player 10 (Tools => Options => Performance => Advanced) there is an option to use either High Quality Mode or Overlays. I've encountered issues with complete video desaturation when using High Quality Mode. This has to do with MP10's incompatibility with nVidia drivers (It is a MP10 problem because this issue did not exist with MP9). Use Overlays instead. It is NOT really a problem at all. In Desktop Properties => Advanced you can adjust how your hardware handles overlays (saturation/gamma/sharpness/digital vibrance) for each mode (such as Desktop, Video, etc.); I am pretty sure that this will resolve your prblem for MP10. What is happening with Quicktime I cannot rightly say. But it is possible that it has similar options. Just try using overlays.

2. Download and install K-Lite Codec Pack. (It may associate all video formats with Media Player Classic. You will have to change associations to Media Player 10 and Quicktime if you want to use them); If this does not help, then you can rule out codecs. Still, it is good to have the K-Lite Codec Pack because it will enable your system to play just about any video format in existence.

MoonSafari

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
uninstalled nVidia drivers version 9.1.3.1 which i had downloaded off their site and installed drivers that came on the CD....problem gone.

so it wasn't the codec, twas the drivers that stole my color!

TRENDING THREADS