Server 2K3 Remote Desktop Access - is this right place?

Hi
I have recently installed Win2K3 server on a local server, thinking I would
be able to manage it remotely from WinXP desktop, much like I do with Win2K
web server I have running.

No chance, the Remote Desktop Services have been repackaged and I cant make
head nor tails of them.

I'm have finally got the screen to appear and ask for a logon after
searching through various MMC's in the admin menu, But I cant get the login
to allow access. The server is in a workgroup and I use the Computer Manager
setup user and group info, so no AD.

I have used the Administrator account and a user ID with admin permissions,
neither will allow access.

I have enabled 'Allow remote access' in My Computer properties and enabled
access in the Remote Desktop MMC. I have added the users to the Remote
Desktop MMC connections properties.

I have sorta run out of ideas now. Please help.

Cheers
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I'm by no means an expert in this subject matter, but since no one has
responded to your posting then I'll try to assist you to the best of my
ability.

Have you tried configuring different options within the Local Group Policies
of the Windows Server 2003 similar to the ones discussed in the following
article?

841188 "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=841188

Have you tried configuring different options within the Internet Connection
Firewall (ICF) or Microsoft Windows Firewall within Windows XP as discussed
in the following article?

875357 Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack
2
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875357

--
Hope this helps,
Mike Rosado

<http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>

Delighting customers is our top priority. We welcome your valuable comments
and suggestions about how to improve the service we provide you. So if you
would like provided us feedback, feel free to e-mail my manager Brian
Pennington then click on the following e-mail hyperlink with a short
statement with regards to your Online support experience
<mailto:BPenning@microsoft.com?subject=Newsgroup_Experience&body=Brian,>.
Thank you.

> I have recently installed Win2K3 server on a local server, thinking I
would
> be able to manage it remotely from WinXP desktop, much like I do with
Win2K
> web server I have running.
>
> No chance, the Remote Desktop Services have been repackaged and I cant
make
> head nor tails of them.
>
> I'm have finally got the screen to appear and ask for a logon after
> searching through various MMC's in the admin menu, But I cant get the
login
> to allow access. The server is in a workgroup and I use the Computer
Manager
> setup user and group info, so no AD.
>
> I have used the Administrator account and a user ID with admin
permissions,
> neither will allow access.
>
> I have enabled 'Allow remote access' in My Computer properties and enabled
> access in the Remote Desktop MMC. I have added the users to the Remote
> Desktop MMC connections properties.
>
> I have sorta run out of ideas now. Please help.
>
> Cheers
> Jerry

Mike Hi Thanks for the reply.

I added Admin and Administrator to the group policy for Remote Access and I
still cant get access, although the screen comes up with a logon dialogue
box.

Strange - when I activate the Remote Desktop Terminal from the server, I get
the same message, 'you do not have access to logon to this session'

The server is behind a firewall for the LAN connection does not have a
firewall enabled. I would have thought I just wouldn't make a connection
screen if the firewall was a problem.

The policy troubleshooter is the exact opposite of my problem, I can logon
to the console fine, juts not through Remote Desktop...

***pulling hair out***

Any other ideas please - Cheers
Jerry

"Mike Rosado [MSFT]" <mikeros@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jerry,
>
> I'm by no means an expert in this subject matter, but since no one has
> responded to your posting then I'll try to assist you to the best of my
> ability.
>
> Have you tried configuring different options within the Local Group
Policies
> of the Windows Server 2003 similar to the ones discussed in the following
> article?
>
> 841188 "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=841188
>
> Have you tried configuring different options within the Internet
Connection
> Firewall (ICF) or Microsoft Windows Firewall within Windows XP as
discussed
> in the following article?
>
> 875357 Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service
Pack
> 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875357
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
> Mike Rosado
> Windows 2000 MCSE + MCDBA
> Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
> Windows NT/2000/2003 Cluster Technologies

rights.
> <http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>
>
> Delighting customers is our top priority. We welcome your valuable
comments
> and suggestions about how to improve the service we provide you. So if you
> would like provided us feedback, feel free to e-mail my manager Brian
> Pennington then click on the following e-mail hyperlink with a short
> statement with regards to your Online support experience
> <mailto:BPenning@microsoft.com?subject=Newsgroup_Experience&body=Brian,>.
> Thank you.

Jerry,

All roads for that particular error of 'You do not have access to logon to
this session' lead to the same thing related to Local Group Policy.

278666 Error Message When You Try to Connect to a Terminal Server Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=278666

1. On Windows Server 2003, launch GPEDIT.MSC from Start -> Run.
2. Drill down and expand the following for Local Computer Policy:
\Computer Configuration
\Windows Settings
\Security Settings
\Local Policies
\User Rights Assignment
3. Then confirm that users are added to 'Allow log on through Terminal
Services', 'Allow log on locally' and 'Access this computer from the
network'.
4. Then confirm that uses are NOT added to 'Deny log on through Terminal
Services', 'Deny log on locally' and 'Deny access to this computer from the
network'

For more information on this subject, once Local Computer Policy
(GPEDIT.MSC) is launch then search the Help file for User Rights Assignment.

--
> [...]

> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875357
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps,
> > Mike Rosado
> > Windows 2000 MCSE + MCDBA
> > Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
> > Windows NT/2000/2003 Cluster Technologies

> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

> rights.
> > <http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>
> >
> > Delighting customers is our top priority. We welcome your valuable
> comments
> > and suggestions about how to improve the service we provide you. So if
you
> > would like provided us feedback, feel free to e-mail my manager Brian
> > Pennington then click on the following e-mail hyperlink with a short
> > statement with regards to your Online support experience

Oh Mike I thought you might have found it - alas no... I diligently checked
the allows and denys'

Nothing seemed amiss.

I still get the same same logon screen and error. This was/is so easy on
Win2k Ho Hummm.

Thanks for your efforts anything else can I try?

> Jerry,
>
> All roads for that particular error of 'You do not have access to logon to
> this session' lead to the same thing related to Local Group Policy.
>
> 278666 Error Message When You Try to Connect to a Terminal Server Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=278666
>
> 1. On Windows Server 2003, launch GPEDIT.MSC from Start -> Run.
> 2. Drill down and expand the following for Local Computer Policy:
> \Computer Configuration
> \Windows Settings
> \Security Settings
> \Local Policies
> \User Rights Assignment
> 3. Then confirm that users are added to 'Allow log on through Terminal
> Services', 'Allow log on locally' and 'Access this computer from the
> network'.
> 4. Then confirm that uses are NOT added to 'Deny log on through Terminal
> Services', 'Deny log on locally' and 'Deny access to this computer from
the
> network'
>
> For more information on this subject, once Local Computer Policy
> (GPEDIT.MSC) is launch then search the Help file for User Rights
Assignment.

> --
> Hope this helps,
> Mike Rosado
> Windows 2000 MCSE + MCDBA
> Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
> Windows NT/2000/2003 Cluster Technologies

rights.
> <http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>
>
> Delighting customers is our top priority. We welcome your valuable
comments
> and suggestions about how to improve the service we provide you. So if you
> would like provided us feedback, feel free to e-mail my manager Brian
> Pennington then click on the following e-mail hyperlink with a short
> statement with regards to your Online support experience
> <mailto:BPenning@microsoft.com?subject=Newsgroup_Experience&body=Brian,>.
> Thank you.

Jerry,

That's weird, but I've seen weirder. If you haven't applied Windows XP SP2,
then you may want to call the toll free
Microsoft Technical Support 1-800-Microsoft (642-7676) to request the
following fix and see if it resolves your issue.

327575 Cannot Log On One Time After an Administrator Uses Remote Desktop
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=327575

If you are a SP2 or apply the fix and it doesn't resolve your issue, then do
a Reply Group back to the newsgroup and let us know the status of your
progress.

--
> [...]

> Assignment.
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps,
> > Mike Rosado
> > Windows 2000 MCSE + MCDBA
> > Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
> > Windows NT/2000/2003 Cluster Technologies

> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

> rights.
> > <http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>
> >
> > Delighting customers is our top priority. We welcome your valuable
> comments
> > and suggestions about how to improve the service we provide you. So if
you
> > would like provided us feedback, feel free to e-mail my manager Brian
> > Pennington then click on the following e-mail hyperlink with a short
> > statement with regards to your Online support experience

Found it

I had Terminal Services installed and probably not configure correctly -
unlike Win2K Win2K3 does not need Terminal Services to use the the Remote
Desktop Admin function. I simply uninstalled Terminal Services and
hey-presto it works.

Thanks for your help guys.

Regards
Jerry