Asus board and 805D - no OC possible!

davew666

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I'm a total newbie at overclocking. I have an 805D, on an Asus P5LD2-VM mobo. I have 2GB of DDR2 5400 RAM. Everything works perfectly when it is not overclocked. But as soon as I change the FSB by any amount, then when I restart the screen stays off, and there is no activity from the HDD. I have to reset the mobo to get it to boot again. I can't even get it to work by using the preset overclocking parameters. Help please!

PSU: Enermax 460W
GPU: Radeon X1600
Cooler: Zalman CSP9000 (or something like that, it's big, round and copper)

davew666

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
update:

I've done a bit more work. I managed to up the FSB by 1mhz at a time, until I got to 150. When I tried 151 I had the same problem - no booting at all. So I reset the mobo RAM and tried 150 again, except that didn't work either this time...Very frustrating

I'm a total newbie at overclocking. I have an 805D, on an Asus P5LD2-VM mobo. I have 2GB of DDR2 5400 RAM. Everything works perfectly when it is not overclocked. But as soon as I change the FSB by any amount, then when I restart the screen stays off, and there is no activity from the HDD. I have to reset the mobo to get it to boot again. I can't even get it to work by using the preset overclocking parameters. Help please!

I have the board. You MUST lock the PCI clock syncronization at a fixed rate, i.e. 33 1/3. Then you must increase the PCI Express acordingly 117/118 is the maximum I can get.

The best overclock I have gotten and have seen with the board is somethng over 3.5 . If you get over 3.6 please inform. HTH.

davew666

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I have the board. You MUST lock the PCI clock syncronization at a fixed rate, i.e. 33 1/3. Then you must increase the PCI Express acordingly 117/118 is the maximum I can get.

The best overclock I have gotten and have seen with the board is somethng over 3.5 . If you get over 3.6 please inform. HTH.

I did this and managed to get to 3.2, but no more

Of course you have to increase the FSB too. I went on the ASUS forum for this board. Apparently, no one can clock past a little over 3.5. That's been my experience. If yours is rev. 2 it can run core 2 duo.

davew666

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

Of course you have to increase the FSB too. I went on the ASUS forum for this board. Apparently, no one can clock past a little over 3.5. That's been my experience. If yours is rev. 2 it can run core 2 duo.

are you sure you have the same board - on the ASUS forums I see that people can't get the FSB over 160, which is where I am stuck too :(

Pentium D 805 Smithfield @3.5
ASUS P5LD2-VM micro
OCZ Gold PC5400 DDR2 512 x 4
ATI 1800xt
WD 74 Raptor
Coolermaster coppercore H/F
ASpire X-QPack micro case
Sony DVD
Pioneer DVD-RW
XInfinity 500w PSU (full ATX in a micro!)